• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loved ones in hell - take 2.

Tiberius

They are actual facts but everyone will interpret them as they see fit.

No, you have opinions, you do not have facts which show they really are messengers from God.

Potentially a fact could be proven to everyone but not all facts are the same. Simple facts such as 1+1-2, are not the same as facts of history. Facts of history can be interpreted differently by different people. You cannot twist 1+1-2 but people can twist historical facts.

Don't confuse people's interpretations of real events with the events themselves.

For example, if there's a guy who ran a factory and changed it so it was environmentally friendly and got tax benefits for doing so, some people might say he was motivated by wanting to help the environment, and others might say he was motivated by the tax benefits. And we may never know the truth. But the fact still remains that the guy was actually motivated by something. And it was a fact he was motivated by a particular thing, even if we will be forever ignorant of it.

Why do you think that just because a fact as been proven everyone will believe it? It was proven as a fact that the U.S. Presidential election was not ‘stolen’ but many people still believe it was stolen.

And those people refuse to believe it because of their opinions.

Pesky and dangerous things, those opinions...

No, because God is not a moral agent. Only humans are moral agents. God sets the standards for human morality but God is not subject to morality because God is not a human. Moreover, God does not have to discern right from wrong because God already knows what is right and wrong, and that is why He can set the standards for what is right.

You see, this has never made sense to me. How can God know what is right and what is wrong if he is the one setting the standards? I mean, I can invent a new unit of measuring distance, let's say I call it the Tib. You might ask me, "How many tibs high is that tree?" And I'll say, "That tree is 7.352 tibs high exactly."

Now of course, it doesn't matter that I haven't actually measured the tree in any way, because I can just arbitrarily assign any value I want to the height of that tree in tibs. It's entirely arbitrary. And God faces the same problem. If he is the one who sets the standard of what is right and what is wrong, then he can know absolutely nothing about it and still set the standard because it is entirely arbitrary.

What does it mean to be a moral agent?

A moral agent is any person or collective entity with the capacity to exercise moral agency. It is suggested that rational thought and deliberation are prerequisite skills for any agent. In this way, moral agents can discern between right and wrong and be held accountable for the consequences of their actions.
Moral Agency - Physiopedia

Okay, so you've said that God is NOT a moral agent, and her defined what a moral agent is. Specifically, a moral agent:

1. Can use rational thought and deliberation
  2. Can discern right from wrong
  3. Held accountable for their actions.
Now, I think most religious people, especially Christians, would agree that God meets the first criteria here, unless you want to claim that God is a simpleton. And your own reply claims that God meets the second criteria. So the only way you have to claim that God is not a moral agent is to claim that God should not be held accountable for his actions.

And if you're going to claim that, I'm going to ask: why not?

I can understand how what I said sounded to you, so let me start over. I have looked at what the anti-Baha’is say about Baha’u’llah and other things that surround Baha’i history and I determined they are not true. For one thing, the fact that they are anti-Baha’i shows that they are biased right out the door, and the Christians and Muslims are always gunning for us. For another thing, there is no proof that their allegations are true.

And why are they biased? Because they take a position against Bahai? If that's the case, it's still cherry picking, because you are deciding whether or not to agree with a source based on whether it agrees with your predetermined conclusions or not.

Also, you have to use logic. Why would a Christian writing about Baha’i history represent it as accurately as a Baha’i who was actually there when that history was unfolding? Why would a Christian even be writing about Baha’i history? Baha’is do not write about Christian history. They do it hipong to denigrate the Baha’i Faith because we are competition for them.

From what you've said, it's Baha'is taking elements of Christianity and using it for their own purposes, yet here you make it sound like the Christian writers you speak of are agreeing with you about your faith.

It says in the chronicles of the Baha’i Faith that “the unrecorded verses that streamed from His lips averaged, in a single day and night, the equivalent of the Qur’án!” and that means that someone was there who actually witnessed that happening, so it is not a claim that Baha’u’llah made.

So who was the witness? What was his name? Where is his firsthand account?

I never said that we achieved world peace 150 years ago. I said “you are about 150 years late, because it happened in the last half of the 19th century and how it happened is all in that video you won’t watch.” What happened was not world peace; it was the coming of Baha’u’llah that thereby fulfilled the prophecies for the return of Christ/Messiah. Baha’u’llah ushered in the age in which world peace will be established but there are many prophecies that have not been fulfilled yet because they were set to be fulfilled sometime during the messianic age which will last no less than 1000 years from the date Baha’u’llah first got His revelation in 1852 AD.

Then you are shifting the goalposts, changing the subject we were talking about to one where you could support your claims. Naughty naughty.

Tiberius

By knowing what God does and does not do and by knowing that the Old Testament is full of stories.

So how do you determine which parts are real and which parts are just stories?

That sounds like an assertion so now you have the obligation to explain how God could do that.

I have no idea.

But then again, I'm limited by logic. I'm sure God, being all-knowing, would know of a way to do it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No, you have opinions, you do not have facts which show they really are messengers from God.
No, I have beliefs, I do not have facts which show they really are Messengers from God.
Don't confuse people's interpretations of real events with the events themselves.

For example, if there's a guy who ran a factory and changed it so it was environmentally friendly and got tax benefits for doing so, some people might say he was motivated by wanting to help the environment, and others might say he was motivated by the tax benefits. And we may never know the truth. But the fact still remains that the guy was actually motivated by something. And it was a fact he was motivated by a particular thing, even if we will be forever ignorant of it.
That’s right, and that is what I meant when I said that people can twist the facts of history. For example, there are certain events that transpired during the lifetime of Baha’u’llah and people will say different things about Baha’u’llah’s motivations for doing what He did. That is what I mean by interpreting the facts differently.
You see, this has never made sense to me. How can God know what is right and what is wrong if he is the one setting the standards? I mean, I can invent a new unit of measuring distance, let's say I call it the Tib. You might ask me, "How many tibs high is that tree?" And I'll say, "That tree is 7.352 tibs high exactly."

Now of course, it doesn't matter that I haven't actually measured the tree in any way, because I can just arbitrarily assign any value I want to the height of that tree in tibs. It's entirely arbitrary. And God faces the same problem. If he is the one who sets the standard of what is right and what is wrong, then he can know absolutely nothing about it and still set the standard because it is entirely arbitrary.
There is nothing ‘arbitrary’ about God’s standards. As I said before, God is all-knowing. God knows ‘everything’ by His very nature so God knows right from wrong. And of course since God created humans to have a particular purpose, God has to know what is best for them to fulfill that purpose.
Okay, so you've said that God is NOT a moral agent, and her defined what a moral agent is. Specifically, a moral agent:

1. Can use rational thought and deliberation
2. Can discern right from wrong
3. Held accountable for their actions.

Now, I think most religious people, especially Christians, would agree that God meets the first criteria here, unless you want to claim that God is a simpleton. And your own reply claims that God meets the second criteria. So the only way you have to claim that God is not a moral agent is to claim that God should not be held accountable for his actions.

And if you're going to claim that, I'm going to ask: why not?
You are correct, God is not accountable for his actions because God is the Creator of all things so He has nobody to be accountable to. Why would the Creator be accountable to His Creation? Is a painter accountable to his painting? Something higher cannot he accountable to a lower order of existence. Is a human accountable to a lower animal or a plant? Humans are responsible to care for plants and animals but we are not accountable to them. Likewise, God takes care of humans by sending Messengers, but God is not accountable to humans. God does not have to send Messengers because it does not benefit God in any way, it is all for the benefit of humans. God could leave man all alone with no guidance, so it is only by God’s grace that He sends Messengers in every age.
And why are they biased? Because they take a position against Bahai? If that's the case, it's still cherry picking, because you are deciding whether or not to agree with a source based on whether it agrees with your predetermined conclusions or not.
It is not cherry picking because I am not suppressing any evidence or refusing to look at all the evidence. I am looking at all the evidence. Having looked, I am not going to agree with a source of information that I have determined is incorrect after having done adequate research.

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position. Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally. This fallacy is a major problem in public debate.[1]

Cherry picking - Wikipedia
From what you've said, it's Baha'is taking elements of Christianity and using it for their own purposes, yet here you make it sound like the Christian writers you speak of are agreeing with you about your faith.
No, Bahais do not use elements of Christianity for our purposes. We only refer to the Bible prophecies that were fulfilled by Baha’u’llah because they show that He was who He claimed to be, the return if Christ and the Messiah. Christians s do the same thing, they refer to the Jewish scriptures to try to prove that Jesus was the Messiah who fulfilled them. No, Christians do not agree with Baha’is because we believe that Baha’u’llah was the return of Christ and most Christians believe that the same Jesus will return someday in His resurrected body. Hopefully you can see how that would cause conflict. Moreover, Christians believe that Jesus is the Only Way to God for all time and Baha’is do not believe that is the case, as we believe each new Messenger is a new way to God and the Messenger for this age is Baha’u’llah, not Jesus.
So who was the witness? What was his name? Where is his firsthand account?
These names are chronicled in the history of the Baha’i Faith, all free to read in the Baha’i Reference Library.

Baha’i Reference Library (old version)
Baha’i Reference Library (new version, downloadable)

The two texts that depict the history are The Dawn-Breakers (Nabíl’s Narrative of the Early Days of the Bahá’í Revelation) and God Passes By (1844-1944).
Then you are shifting the goalposts, changing the subject we were talking about to one where you could support your claims. Naughty naughty.
No, I am just correcting what you apparently misconstrued regarding what we were talking about. I was never referring to the world peace prophecies when I said the prophecies had all been fulfilled, I was only referring to the prophecies that were fulfilled by the COMING of Baha’u’llah.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As I've said, I don't know.

But God is all-knowing, so I'm sure he knows.
What God knows has nothing to do with this.
Such as the power to get me to do what he wants without violating our free will.
God created us with free will to make our own choices, so if God interferes with that He is violating our free will.

violate: break or fail to comply with (a rule or formal agreement).
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=violate+means

You sure have a misconception is what omnipotent means, did you get that while you were a Christian or after you became an atheist? Atheists have this dreamy idea that since God is all-powerful God can do anything. :rolleyes: Just because God has all power that does not mean He can change the nature of the humans He created after they were created.

All-powerful does not mean can do anything, it mean has all power.

Tiberius

What God knows has nothing to do with this.

Why not? He's the only one who actually has to know how to do it.

God created us with free will to make our own choices, so if God interferes with that He is violating our free will.

violate: break or fail to comply with (a rule or formal agreement).
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=violate+means

You sure have a misconception is what omnipotent means, did you get that while you were a Christian or after you became an atheist? Atheists have this dreamy idea that since God is all-powerful God can do anything. :rolleyes: Just because God has all power that does not mean He can change the nature of the humans He created after they were created.

All-powerful does not mean can do anything, it mean has all power.

Ah, so God can only do things that are logically possible? He can't do things that are logically IMpossible, is that correct?

Tiberius

No, I have beliefs, I do not have facts which show they really are Messengers from God.

So you have what are essentially opinions.

That’s right, and that is what I meant when I said that people can twist the facts of history. For example, there are certain events that transpired during the lifetime of Baha’u’llah and people will say different things about Baha’u’llah’s motivations for doing what He did. That is what I mean by interpreting the facts differently.

Then we must ask how you have interpreted the facts correctly. Because the people who have different interpretations are just as convinced as you that they have the correct interpretation.

There is nothing ‘arbitrary’ about God’s standards. As I said before, God is all-knowing. God knows ‘everything’ by His very nature so God knows right from wrong. And of course since God created humans to have a particular purpose, God has to know what is best for them to fulfill that purpose.

But how does God know whether something is right or wrong? By what yardstick does he measure the rightness or wrongness?

You are correct, God is not accountable for his actions because God is the Creator of all things so He has nobody to be accountable to. Why would the Creator be accountable to His Creation? Is a painter accountable to his painting? Something higher cannot he accountable to a lower order of existence. Is a human accountable to a lower animal or a plant? Humans are responsible to care for plants and animals but we are not accountable to them. Likewise, God takes care of humans by sending Messengers, but God is not accountable to humans. God does not have to send Messengers because it does not benefit God in any way, it is all for the benefit of humans. God could leave man all alone with no guidance, so it is only by God’s grace that He sends Messengers in every age.

So if I clone a small animal, do I have the right to torture it? After all, I am the creator of that animal.

Your argument also suggests God lacks empathy.

It is not cherry picking because I am not suppressing any evidence or refusing to look at all the evidence. I am looking at all the evidence. Having looked, I am not going to agree with a source of information that I have determined is incorrect after having done adequate research.

Seems to me that your "adequate research" is nothing more than asking yourself if it fits in with what you've already decided is true.

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position. Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally. This fallacy is a major problem in public debate.[1]

Cherry picking - Wikipedia

And if you say, "I have concluded that Baha'i is correct. This evidence would mean that Baha'i is incorrect, therefore I can conclude this evidence is wrong," is that not cherry picking exactly as described by you here?

No, Bahais do not use elements of Christianity for our purposes. We only refer to the Bible prophecies that were fulfilled by Baha’u’llah because they show that He was who He claimed to be, the return if Christ and the Messiah. Christians s do the same thing, they refer to the Jewish scriptures to try to prove that Jesus was the Messiah who fulfilled them. No, Christians do not agree with Baha’is because we believe that Baha’u’llah was the return of Christ and most Christians believe that the same Jesus will return someday in His resurrected body. Hopefully you can see how that would cause conflict. Moreover, Christians believe that Jesus is the Only Way to God for all time and Baha’is do not believe that is the case, as we believe each new Messenger is a new way to God and the Messenger for this age is Baha’u’llah, not Jesus.

You know, when you claim that you do not use elements of Christianity for your purposes, but then immediately explain how you use elements of Christianity for your purposes, it doesn't look good for you.

These names are chronicled in the history of the Baha’i Faith, all free to read in the Baha’i Reference Library.

Baha’i Reference Library (old version)
Baha’i Reference Library (new version, downloadable)

The two texts that depict the history are The Dawn-Breakers (Nabíl’s Narrative of the Early Days of the Bahá’í Revelation) and God Passes By (1844-1944).

Yeah, I'm not going to search through all of that looking for one little detail.

No, I am just correcting what you apparently misconstrued regarding what we were talking about. I was never referring to the world peace prophecies when I said the prophecies had all been fulfilled, I was only referring to the prophecies that were fulfilled by the COMING of Baha’u’llah.

No, you are the one who changed the subject. I was quite clear what I was talking about.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why not? He's the only one who actually has to know how to do it.
Knowing HOW to do something does not mean that God is GOING to do something. God knows everything and God is all-powerful, so can you imagine what would happen if God did everything He knows how to do?
Ah, so God can only do things that are logically possible? He can't do things that are logically IMpossible, is that correct?
God does not operate according to human logic because God is far above our kind of logic.
God might have a godly kind of logic, but there is no way we can know what that is.

Tiberius

Knowing HOW to do something does not mean that God is GOING to do something. God knows everything and God is all-powerful, so can you imagine what would happen if God did everything He knows how to do?

So why is it that if God wants a thing to happen, and he knopws how to make sure it happens, he doesn't do it?

God does not operate according to human logic because God is far above our kind of logic.
God might have a godly kind of logic, but there is no way we can know what that is.

So if God is NOT bound by our mere Human logic, then who's to say he couldn't make me do what he wants me to do in such a way that he doesn't violate my free will?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So why is it that if God wants a thing to happen, and he knopws how to make sure it happens, he doesn't do it?
Because God wants YOU to make it happen.
So if God is NOT bound by our mere Human logic, then who's to say he couldn't make me do what he wants me to do in such a way that he doesn't violate my free will?
It has nothing to do with logic. If God MADE you do something that would violate your free will.

Tiberius

Because God wants YOU to make it happen.

So then God can make me want to make it happen.

And since he is not bound by logic (as you explained in post 435 where you said, "God does not operate according to human logic because God is far above our kind of logic") he can do it in a way that does not violate my free will.

It has nothing to do with logic. If God MADE you do something that would violate your free will.

It has everything to do with logic. Your only argument against it is that it is logically impossible. And that's despite the fact that you've already admitted that God is not bound by logic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So then God can make me want to make it happen.
God could do that if you were led by the Holy Spirit.
And since he is not bound by logic (as you explained in post 435 where you said, "God does not operate according to human logic because God is far above our kind of logic") he can do it in a way that does not violate my free will.
God could do that against your free will but then you would be like a puppet on a string, and your free will will have been violated.
It has everything to do with logic. Your only argument against it is that it is logically impossible. And that's despite the fact that you've already admitted that God is not bound by logic.
No, that is not my only argument. See above.

Now you owe me one.... Can you please explain why you are so obsessed with this topic?

Tiberius

God could do that if you were led by the Holy Spirit.

Why does God need an "if"?

God could do that against your free will but then you would be like a puppet on a string, and your free will will have been violated.

Only if God is bound by the same logic that we mere mortals have to deal with. And you've already said he is not.

No, that is not my only argument. See above.

Haven't seen another argument from you. Which argument are you using that does not boil down to, "But he can't, because it's logically impossible"?

Now you owe me one.... Can you please explain why you are so obsessed with this topic?

Who's obsessed? I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in your claims.