• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loved ones in hell - take 2.

Deo Vindice

Hi. I deleted my last post regarding this subject because the details were too raw and personal, and while I appreciated the responses, they digressed from the questions.

So, simply, my questions are 1.) If a friend or family member dies and you know they weren't saved, do you still love them and cherish the memories, or do you try to bury it and let go? After all, once in heaven you'll forget anyway. Also, how do you deal with the thought of them suffering in eternal torment even though you know that they deserve it?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hi. I deleted my last post regarding this subject because the details were too raw and personal, and while I appreciated the responses, they digressed from the questions.

So, simply, my questions are 1.) If a friend or family member dies and you know they weren't saved, do you still love them and cherish the memories, or do you try to bury it and let go? After all, once in heaven you'll forget anyway. Also, how do you deal with the thought of them suffering in eternal torment even though you know that they deserve it?

...Do they deserve it, though?

What do you think is worthy of torture? Who would you torture? Why would you torture someone?

Torture isn't something I'd ever do to anyone, honestly... It isn't even a thought in my mind.

Deo Vindice

...Do they deserve it, though?

What do you think is worthy of torture? Who would you torture? Why would you torture someone?

Torture isn't something I'd ever do to anyone, honestly... It isn't even a thought in my mind.
It's the wage of sin. Would you want to live in a world where crime went unpunished?

As if being "saved" were a virtue? And let the dead rest in peace, they've perhaps unresolved issues but care not to revisit the horrors of humanity. I still love some of them with cherished memories, which again brings to the forefront: lifting the "veil".

Deo Vindice

As if being "saved" were a virtue? And let the dead rest in peace, they've perhaps unresolved issues but care not to revisit the horrors of humanity. I still love some of them with cherished memories, which again brings to the forefront: lifting the "veil".
There is no better place than on god's good side, and there is no peace in hell.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
It's the wage of sin. Would you want to live in a world where crime went unpunished?

I would rather live in a world where people sought to correct behavior and reintegrate them into society once those lessons are learned.

What lessons are there to be learned in torture? What is even the point of causing someone to experience agony - to inflict that kind of pain on them?

The only people who want to inflict suffering on others do it because they enjoy inflicting suffering. Assuming he was real, and felt people needed to be punished, he could just end their existence.

We don't even torture people as punishment here because we know it's not just. It never is.

Deo Vindice

I would rather live in a world where people sought to correct behavior and reintegrate them into society once those lessons are learned.

What lessons are there to be learned in torture? What is even the point of causing someone to experience agony - to inflict that kind of pain on them?

The only people who want to inflict suffering on others do it because they enjoy inflicting suffering. Assuming he was real, and felt people needed to be punished, he could just end their existence.

We don't even torture people as punishment here because we know it's not just. It never is.
It instills regret and remorse and serves as compensation/satisfaction for God.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But the word of God says otherwise, unless you think god is a liar.

A piece by Bard Ehrman says otherwise (translation errors): Ehrman is a leading authority on the New Testament and the history of early Christianity, and the author or editor of more than thirty books, including the just published Heaven and Hell. He is a Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

What Jesus Really Said About Heaven and Hell

Bird123

Hell doesn't really exist so all this is not going to happen.

Suppose Hell existed and my loved one was in Hell. I am not going to forget my loved one.

Our choices and actions define who we are. I would march into Hell to save not only my loved one but everyone in Hell. I would protest the injustice of it all. I would question why God is frying His children. I would question why God is existing at the lower level allowing Hell and why God suddenly values so many of the petty things mankind holds so dear. If I , through my choices and actions, can rise to a Higher Level, why can't God??

In short, there will not be Heaven because I am going to raise Hell, if Hell even existed.

If God can create Universes, how could anyone think God can't handle a few wayward children?

Mankind tries to destroy what mankind can't easily control or fix. Intelligence does exist far beyond mankind's thinking and petty ways. We are all on the path to perfection, learning and growing through each lifetime until we too will Understand how to create a Heavenly state.

Contrary to many people's thinking, All the kiddies are going to make it. There has never ever been a time limit on learning. Each person is too unique and too valuable to every be discarded.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

That's not what I believe about hell or salvation. That's not what is taught in Orthodox Christianity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's not what I believe about hell or salvation. That's not what is taught in Orthodox Christianity.
If you mean Eastern Orthodox Christianity I had a friend on another forum who belonged to that church.
I like Eastern Orthodox Christianity, can you tell me what they teach about heaven and hell?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But the word of God says otherwise, unless you think god is a liar.
The word of God does not talk so it does not SAY anything.
It needs to be read and as we read meanings are assigned to verses. It's called interpretation.
Different people assign different meanings. That is one reason there are so many different sects of Christianity.