• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LOVE

Tmac

Love in its simplest state: that which affects one to give of themselves. It is not an emotion but when emotion (postive or negative) is attached we are taught to call it love or hate.
It is possible to love someone but not like the way they behave, most cannot seperate the two and that curently is where humanity is at, judging people by their behavior and then placing the verdict in which ever section of prejudice or bigotry we think it fits.
I know most won't appreciate this paragraph but for me, it sin't about being right, its about getting it right. For those of you who embrace the teachings of old, its not about cutting down the tree, maybe prunning it, shaping it up because religions are not getting ahead of the problem and in some cases the problem itself.
I would think that if some kind of "love one another" is the central theme behind the religious thought, what is getting in the way of it succeeding? Maybe because we don't really understand love?

Last edited:

pearl

I would think that if some kind of "love one another" is the central theme behind the religious thought, what is getting in the way of it succeeding? Maybe because we don't really understand love?

Love is selfless, it demands sacrifice, with the well being of the other before self.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Love is selfless...

I think that's an excellent point. There is at least one kind of love that is selfless.

...it demands sacrifice, with the well being of the other before self.

I think what confuses some people is that there are forms of love in which one sacrifices selfishly in order to get something back from one's sacrifice. And then there is at least one form in which love is truly selfless.

Tmac

Love is selfless, it demands sacrifice, with the well being of the other before self.

Have to kick back on the "it demands sacrifice" part of your thought, what you are talking about is behavior, if you were truly experiencing love, life would be effortless, you would not have to sacrifice, your behavior would reflect the degree in which you are experiencing love.

Tmac

I think that's an excellent point. There is at least one kind of love that is selfless.

I think what confuses some people is that there are forms of love in which one sacrifices selfishly in order to get something back from one's sacrifice. And then there is at least one form in which love is truly selfless.

My only objection is the term "forms of love". What you use for an example is a transaction, you can color it up but still a simple transaction and not love at all.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My only objection is the term "forms of love". What you use for an example is a transaction, you can color it up but still a simple transaction and not love at all.

With respect, I don't think you're in a position to rationally object. You don't know what I mean by "forms of love". But don't let that stop you! Ignorance is bliss! :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are several kinds of love, and to say that one is better or truer than another is like saying that a hammer is better than a screwdriver. Whether a hammer is better than a screwdriver depends on the ends to which you wish to use them, and whether one love is better or truer than another likewise depends on what you hope to get out of them.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
According to the ancient Greeks there is agape, eros, philia, and storge. They all mean love, but of a different type. The problem comes with the English language, which is a rather emotionally dry language.

In other languages as well there are different words for different types of love. In Spanish when you love someone like family or a pet you say that you want them (Te quiero) but when you love someone romantically you literally use the verb for love (Te amo).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
According to the ancient Greeks there is agape, eros, philia, and storge. They all mean love, but of a different type. The problem comes with the English language, which is a rather emotionally dry language.
I see it that way as well. Beyond that, "love" can be used to say "I love pizza"..

The OP refers to a higher form of love. It appears in selfless acts that we can read about in the "positive news media" web sites where someone automatically sacrifices something to help someone else.

When this love grows, it becomes like the sun which shines all the time on everyone and everything.

Tmac

When ever we wanted to support something, we'd say 100,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong, so the Greeks are the authority here, please. What really gets me is that you believe this stuff as if it was the law and yet people are dying because of indifference. You might have a lot of words for love but your actions seem to be limited.

Tmac

I see it that way as well. Beyond that, "love" can be used to say "I love pizza"..

The OP refers to a higher form of love. It appears in selfless acts that we can read about in the "positive news media" web sites where someone automatically sacrifices something to help someone else.

When this love grows, it becomes like the sun which shines all the time on everyone and everything.

if you want to aim shallow or you could say that you love righteousness but in the end, its what you do because of what you love that matters. All you guy have such a clear idea about love but...

There is no higher or lower "form" of love, Plato and Socrates put forth their thought on The theory of Forms or theory of Ideas. One of the forms they talked about is love, not loves.

Tmac

There are several kinds of love, and to say that one is better or truer than another is like saying that a hammer is better than a screwdriver. Whether a hammer is better than a screwdriver depends on the ends to which you wish to use them, and whether one love is better or truer than another likewise depends on what you hope to get out of them.

I sure hope you are childless.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Clearly the Greeks themselves didn't have pizza, or there would have been another word reserved for the love of pizza. :D
When ever we wanted to support something, we'd say 100,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong, so the Greeks are the authority here, please. What really gets me is that you believe this stuff as if it was the law and yet people are dying because of indifference. You might have a lot of words for love but your actions seem to be limited.
Assume much? I didn't claim the Greeks were a definitive authority, but used an example of there being more than one type of love, and another culture (many of them, actually) have and do acknowledge that. English doesn't.
And what do you know of my actions? You know me only as a forum name, and for not even that long.

Tmac

With respect, I don't think you're in a position to rationally object. You don't know what I mean by "forms of love". But don't let that stop you! Ignorance is bliss! :)

Of course I don't because there aren't any.