• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LOVE

Tmac

Clearly the Greeks themselves didn't have pizza, or there would have been another word reserved for the love of pizza. :D

Assume much? I didn't claim the Greeks were a definitive authority, but used an example of there being more than one type of love, and another culture (many of them, actually) have and do acknowledge that. English doesn't.
And what do you know of my actions? You know me only as a forum name, and for not even that long.

Eskimos have many name for snow, but none for "snows" and as for your actions, I'm going by your interaction. You could have asked me where I was going with my thought but instead this is where we are at.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Love in its simplest state: that which affects one to give of themselves. It is not an emotion but when emotion (postive or negative) is attached we are taught to call it love or hate.
It is possible to love someone but not like the way they behave, most cannot seperate the two and that curently is where humanity is at, judging people by their behavior and then placing the verdict in which ever section of prejudice or bigotry we think it fits.
I know most won't appreciate this paragraph but for me, it sin't about being right, its about getting it right. For those of you who embrace the teachings of old, its not about cutting down the tree, maybe prunning it, shaping it up because religions are not getting ahead of the problem and in some cases the problem itself.
I would think that if some kind of "love one another" is the central theme behind the religious thought, what is getting in the way of it succeeding? Maybe because we don't really understand love?

hatred and discrimination are based on forms. they aren't based on actions. hatred is a learned behavior that has its foundations in fear.

hatred is when someone projects experiences of one person on to another person with similarities.

like a white/black person who has been conditioned to believe that levels of melanin make someone superior/inferior.

being angry because someone has wronged you, is a healthy and positive emotion.

transferring hatred on to others; when they have committed no wrong against you because they have similarities of a person from a certain class of people, usually is not.

someone can be angry at someone for their negative actions towards another, or other; which aren't loving. above all we should treat everyone the same. loving someone doesn't allow them to control others with abusive behavior; while portraying out of control behavior themselves.

depraved indifference to someone's suffering is also not healthy.

so yes, you can be loving while correcting negative behavior, or actions. it benefits both the anti-social person and their intended victim by limiting the control that the abusive perpetrator is manifesting. this is why counselor's ask, "are you planning to harm someone, or yourself?". its simple human kindness to treat everyone the same and not excluding self.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course I don't because there aren't any.

I can confidently predict, Tmac, that if this thread establishes anything, it will be that you've curiously managed to reach the age of 75 without knowing much of anything about love. Here's a hint for you, study what the neurosciences have to say about love before you embarrass yourself further.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I can confidently predict, Tmac, that if this thread establishes anything, it will be that you've curiously managed to reach the age of 75 without knowing much of anything about love. Here's a hint for you, study what the neurosciences have to say about love before you embarrass yourself further.
It's so abundantly obvious, I can't quite wrap my head around why anyone would argue it.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yes, the main biblical definition of love is giving to those who can do nothing for you in return, giving your time, money and the greatest gift laying down your own life for someone else.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In other languages as well there are different words for different types of love. In Spanish when you love someone like family or a pet you say that you want them (Te quiero) but when you love someone romantically you literally use the verb for love (Te amo).
Same in Indian languages:-
Prem, pranaya- romantic love
Anurakti - passionate love
Rati/kama - sexual love
Vatsalya - love for children or pets
Sneha - love of mothers or elders towards their children or younger relatives
Sakhya - love for friends
Priti - love for neighbors, relatives
Sauhardya - good hearted love for all beings in general
Bhakti - devotional love
Karuna - compassion, kindness

Last edited:

Tmac

Yes, the main biblical definition of love is giving to those who can do nothing for you in return, giving your time, money and the greatest gift laying down your

own life for someone else.[/QUOTE

Interest phrase, laying down your own life does not have to mean physical death, it could as well mean that you stop living as you were before you change the way you live, essentially you are laying down one way of seeing things and now see it to include more.

We all start out selfish, hopefully, for the whole's sake, evolve to altruism and then....

Tmac

It appears to me that, (Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. -Rumi) is just lip service. I hope you can see your hypocrisy.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It appears to me that, (Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. -Rumi) is just lip service. I hope you can see your hypocrisy.

Who says I don't love you? After all, I am trying to knock some sense into your head about love for you own good. And that's pretty self-sacrificing too, given that the odds of my doing it are virtually infinitesimal. :D

At any rate, we're just trolling each other at this point, so I'm going to quit responding to you unless you make a substantial point.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
At any rate, we're just trolling each other at this point, so I'm going to quit responding to you unless you make a substantial point.

i-guess-ill-be-putting-this-popcorn-away-then.jpg

Milton Platt

Love in its simplest state: that which affects one to give of themselves. It is not an emotion but when emotion (postive or negative) is attached we are taught to call it love or hate.
It is possible to love someone but not like the way they behave, most cannot seperate the two and that curently is where humanity is at, judging people by their behavior and then placing the verdict in which ever section of prejudice or bigotry we think it fits.
I know most won't appreciate this paragraph but for me, it sin't about being right, its about getting it right. For those of you who embrace the teachings of old, its not about cutting down the tree, maybe prunning it, shaping it up because religions are not getting ahead of the problem and in some cases the problem itself.
I would think that if some kind of "love one another" is the central theme behind the religious thought, what is getting in the way of it succeeding? Maybe because we don't really understand love?

Demonstrate that love is not an emotion.

Tmac

Demonstrate that love is not an emotion.

When I was a boy, I thought love was what my mom gave me, I didn't think my dad loved me at all until I got older and then my understanding broadened and then I fell in love and the moment went from black and white to color, at first I thought it was the person but that didn't prove to be true, fortunately I fell in love again and this time I used my time wisely. The person, the moment were merely triggers that allowed me to see within myself something so beautiful and a desire to share, I could keep it to myself but it screams, share me.

Milton Platt

When I was a boy, I thought love was what my mom gave me, I didn't think my dad loved me at all until I got older and then my understanding broadened and then I fell in love and the moment went from black and white to color, at first I thought it was the person but that didn't prove to be true, fortunately I fell in love again and this time I used my time wisely. The person, the moment were merely triggers that allowed me to see within myself something so beautiful and a desire to share, I could keep it to myself but it screams, share me.

Sure, but you seemed to be implying that love is something that is other than emotions......that is what i was asking.