• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listen while a MAGA preacher in Texas calls for execution of gay people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth in love

You keep calling (in this thread and another) what I said "a lie." But is it really?\

Jonathan Shelley is pastor of the Stedfast Baptist Church (that's who is in the video), which is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. He was one of the loudest voices against all things LGBTQ (there was also a brave voice on the other side, in Kevin Johnson, rector of the Episcopal Church of Arlington), Shelly stated to the council that he was “horrified and ashamed that (Arlington) has decided to promote and solicit Pride.” The pastor referred to Pride as an abomination. Shelley continued addressing the city council using biblical scripture to vilify the LGBTQ community. Shelley reasoned that he didn’t understand why the city would, in his own words, “what used to be a crime.” The pastor went on to cite Texas penal code section 21.06, which he claimed was still a valid law even though the law was overruled by Lawrence v. Texas (2003), the U.S. Supreme Court decision that eliminated sodomy laws. So if you want a "lie," that was one.

If Pride is an "abomination," as Shelley claims, then it is because he insists that gay people should remain ashamed of their own nature. There can be no other interpretation of those words.

Shelley cited various Bible verses to lump members of the LGBTQ with those who commit murder, adultery, and bestiality which are crimes worthy of capital punishment under his interpretation of biblical law. Now, if that is not at least a very strong suggestion that LGBTQ people who live their lives according to their nature ought to be punished severely, up to and including execution, I'm not sure what is.

I don’t know this guy. I listened to the evidence you shared and the OP had a blatant lie in it. (Also zero support for MAGA, but not all that unlikely) Imagine a video of a gay person walking by a church and flipping off the pastor. The Christian community starts saying it’s a death threat. No rational person would equate that.

The SPLC rates anyone not supporting by their raceway agenda as a hater so that’s a badge of honor more often than not.

You claim LGBQT folks are living by their nature, but won’t always a pastor the same? He called what he sees as unhealthy and sin as those things. Any hey if you want to accuse him of being less then welcoming great for it. Frankly I’m really suspicious about the stats he raddled of and if they are valid or made up.

But all of that aside it is wholly wrong to lie about what he said and called for.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
The actual act itself not the person brother. Not sure if you’re intentional or just not comprehending.
So you're fine with people being homosexuals, getting married, adopting children, etc - you just don't like the idea of two men or two women having sex.

Well, here's an idea - stop thinking about it!

KWED

I had a hard time hearing things the first go round. I found a very quite spot to listen again .
it is not a call to kill people. It dislikes homosexual life styles no two ways about it. He made a case from several prospectives as to why the city should not support it. The hate filled flaw accusations are appalling.
Listen again. He mentions killing homosexuals several times. Not sure how much more explicit you need him to be.

KWED

Yeah my initial reaction to the post was man that’s messed up why would a pastor do this, but no he was not doing anything of the kind.
You seem more concerned with defending the man who said homosexuals should be killed, than with condemning him for it.

Actions speak louder than words. And sometimes, so do words. ;)

KWED

You claim LGBQT folks are living by their nature, but won’t always a pastor the same?
Being gay isn't an ideology any more than being straight is.

It always amuses me when apologists think they are making clever arguments but just end up confirming their ignorance.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sheldon said:
What about straight adoptive parents, would you demand the children they adopt be asked if they want straight or gay parents?
No because that child would be a child of straight couple anyway if not adopted.

So again you insist children must be able to choose if adopted, but only if the parents are gay, why would that be?

There will be enough time to ask those raised by gay couples whether they liked that or not in the future.

What about children raised by straight parents, why aren't they required to have this "right" you claim children should have? You're making no sense.

I don't think these people are going to be happy.

You don't think what people are going to be happy about what?

for god's sake how do 2 men make a child if not by adoption?

You're kidding right? With a woman, are you being serious?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
does truth about what's normal way of life insult you?
is to be normal unreasonable?

Homophobic bigotry and prejudice against minorities is what is unreasonable. Why are so many religious bigots scared of gay people living happy fulfilled and productive lives?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
When it comes to raising children yes.

Why?

Every child must be given a chance to experience normal way of life, not to be pushed into homosexual couple, that's the whole point I'm making here.

Why? Does this apply to high achieving parents then, who happen to be straight? what about famous straight parents, one assumes you want their children to have the choice to opt out then?

This kind of rationale is so stupid and ignorant it would be hilarious, if it were not equally pernicious.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don’t know this guy. I listened to the evidence you shared and the OP had a blatant lie in it. (Also zero support for MAGA, but not all that unlikely) Imagine a video of a gay person walking by a church and flipping off the pastor. The Christian community starts saying it’s a death threat. No rational person would equate that.

The SPLC rates anyone not supporting by their raceway agenda as a hater so that’s a badge of honor more often than not.

You claim LGBQT folks are living by their nature, but won’t always a pastor the same? He called what he sees as unhealthy and sin as those things. Any hey if you want to accuse him of being less then welcoming great for it. Frankly I’m really suspicious about the stats he raddled of and if they are valid or made up.

But all of that aside it is wholly wrong to lie about what he said and called for.

He say it is a capital crime under God's law. And there is more.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

He very clearly said these words, at 1:34: "But God has already ruled that murder, adultery, witchcraft, rape, bestiality and homosexuality are crimes worthy of capital punishment." This is the heart of his argument. And that is no lie.

Not to mention that loving my partner for the past 30 years is equated to murder, rape and bestiality.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Me either. No mention of MAGA or a call to the death of gays.

Yeah my initial reaction to the post was man that’s messed up why would a pastor do this, but no he was not doing anything of the kind.

He does technically only quote the Bible verses that call for executing gay folks, but since he is using the Bible to justify his stance, and specifically saying that he is in Texas, one state under God, of the United States, one nation under God, he is implying that this is the right course of action.

Either the Bible verses hold weight or they don't for the audience. I seriously doubt he was quoted the execution part assuming that the audience was ignoring it. Many were calling out "Amen," and folks don't do that if they don't believe the Bible is the word of God.

And if he was just showing how God hates gays, why should they, the faithful of God, simply stop at removing pride? Clearly, God wants them executed. So clearly, by giving godly weight to the Bible, he was calling for the execution of gays.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Let’s talk about dog whistles for a moment.
Which one is a bigger risk “I’m opposed to the city supporting a lifestyle I think is unhealthy”. Or “ He’s want to murder people”?
The OP author did not lie, you owe him an apology. 1:35 into the video the pastor makes the claim that god has already decided homosexuality is a crime worthy of capital punishment, and then says we should defer to god.

If there is a lie here, it is your denial of this, and your claim that the thread OP contained a lie.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
The actual act itself not the person brother. Not sure if you’re intentional or just not comprehending.
Do you watch or imagine a lot of gay sex?o_O:confused: It's odd you'd ever watch or even imagine it, if as you claim it makes you nauseated.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
When it comes to raising children yes.

Every child must be given a chance to experience normal way of life, not to be pushed into homosexual couple, that's the whole point I'm making here.

People are either gay or hetero. No need to push.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Why are so many religious bigots scared of gay people living happy fulfilled and productive lives?
I think it may be that they try to project themselves in the position of the person they don't understand nor align with on a psychological level... They imagine themselves doing things that are disagreeable to them (I'd imagine, like this instance, the fantasy is a misrepresentation of the truth even) and blame their overactive imagination on the individual/s in question. Of course, it's a shameful thing to have even imagined, so a confession of truth would be akin to amputation... Thus: "Icky icky thoughts! Do they do that?! No wonder the bible says so. Judge em'! Toss em' in the flames!"

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The OP author did not lie, you owe him an apology. 1:35 into the video the pastor makes the claim that god has already decided homosexuality is a crime worthy of capital punishment, and then says we should defer to god.

If there is a lie here, it is your denial of this, and your claim that the thread OP contained a lie.

A divorced person is not to marry again. Maybe we should enforce that one. But since Christians divorce at a higher than average rate, no one talks about that.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I had a hard time hearing things the first go round. I found a very quite spot to listen again .
it is not a call to kill people. It dislikes homosexual life styles no two ways about it. He made a case from several prospectives as to why the city should not support it. The hate filled flaw accusations are appalling.
Nonsense, he says quite clearly at approximately 1:35 onward, "god has already ruled that (long list) and homosexuality, are crimes worthy of capital punishment" It's not the least bit ambiguous, and I heard it clearly on my first viewing, the rest of your disjointed rant is simply apologetics for his appalling hate filled claim that gay people deserve to be killed.

Your attempt now to portray this hate speech, as if the pastor making the claim is the one being victimised is even more pathetic and appalling.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
You know he has??? His claim that "homosexuality is a crime worthy of capital punishment" starts at 1:35 and there is no ambiguity in it, it's appalling to defend him like this, pathetic. The pastor's claims are hate speech, there is no other word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.