• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

limit of conciousness

confused453

If we retain our identity after we die and go to some kind of god's world / realm of happy existence, wouldn't that be like a torture being in this state for billions of years, or possibly for eternity?

But what if somehow we don't die, and live for 100 trillion years, get to learn and experience every possibility the universe has to offer.

Would there be some kind of limit for a conciousness to say enough is enough, in any of those cases? Then what?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We don't retain our identities during our lifetimes; given that it seems profoundly illogical to suppose we would after bodily death. That is to say, we are constantly changing and our identities are not fixed and static at any point in our existence. Though I suppose if you think outside of time, various points in time can be said to have a fixed identity. But this gets into some wonky otherworldly stuff I would rather leave sitting on the table.

love

tri-polar optimist
If we retain our identity after we die and go to some kind of god's world / realm of happy existence, wouldn't that be like a torture being in this state for billions of years, or possibly for eternity?

But what if somehow we don't die, and live for 100 trillion years, get to learn and experience every possibility the universe has to offer.

Would there be some kind of limit for a conciousness to say enough is enough, in any of those cases? Then what?

Maybe the next realm is just the begining of our awareness.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would it be torture?

Honestly I don't think anybody has a real clue what to expect existence in Heaven. Considering that being a spiritual entity in a spiritual realm is supposed to be a completely different experience to being a material entity in a material realm, I don't think we can compare our experience of life here to how it might be there.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If it`s heaven there is no rreaosn to believe it is going to be torture IMHO.

I mean, given the right frame of mind it shouldnt be hard to "imagine" that the "ability" to get bored will not be part of you there, nor the "ability" to suffer.

Me Myself

Back to my username
"there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

dpened son how you define good or bad and how you define thinking :D

I know my dog wouldn`t like to be kicked o.o

I`d say "feeling" makes things good or bad, and thought is merely one kind of feeling sort to say.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Well who knows what our brains are really capable of? There is a lot unknown about the human mind, although what we know does not suggest an afterlife. If we lived for long amounts of time our brains would have to be different than they are now, as they currently do not survive trillions of years. So, we cannot really even guess what that would be like. I would think that if we lived that long we would be built to handle it. As for the afterlife, we cannot really think about it in realistic ways because it is not a very realistic concept. You cannot be aware with no body and no brain to take in and process information, and in the afterlife you would not have a body and brain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't call science a belief system.

Your phrasing made it seem like you were making a conclusion about a hypothetical afterlife. But since afterlife beliefs attribute bodies, your statement wasn't relevant. But what you really meant is that there is no afterlife?
In that case, I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If we've been "incarnated" once before, and if there's no rhyme or reason governing the universe, then why couldn't it happen again?

*pfft* I've already passed that limit in this life-time.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

That was kinda my point in my thread here :)

Orias

Left Hand Path

Possibly, this depends on if you expect to be nothing when you die, and it depends on if we actually retain our identity when we go.

You don't need to live forever, to understand everything.

For some, a brief moment of existence is enough to make one spend a life time questioning.

I'm not sure.

If anything consciousness is limited only in expression, which is the most frustrating for me.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

In the case of 'god's world' I would expect that depends entirely on the god we're talking about. I mean, naturally some gods probably love to torture people. I'm not sure what you would do to get stuck in a place like that (or if they even exist) but it is a possibility. Then again its just as possible that whatever god is in charge would be fully aware of your particular need for change and constantly update the contents of the afterlife so that you don't go mad with boredom. I'm not sure why you have settled on torture in this case. It seems like the worst possible option. :shrug:

In the case of 'realm of happy existence' I have no idea how it would earn this designation if the end result was torturous. Don't you think it would similarly update itself in order to keep you satisfied? The title itself seems to defeat the argument.

I don't really know that something like this would be possible. I don't think there is a limit to the experiences available in the universe, so I'm not sure how it could be reached regardless of lifespan.

I suppose if this weird hypothetical limit is reached, you just start making things up, right? There certainly isn't any limits to my imagination. How many paintings would Picasso paint if he lived forever? I'm guessing somewhere between infinity and infinity. Barring that, lets assume that artistic expression runs out at some point... are we automatically removing the ability to suicide? Seems like a pretty reasonable option if you are simply finished with the entire universe. Or are we saying that even if that did happen, you'd just be stuck? In that case, its such a highly specialized existence I really don't have a clue what I would do. I guess figuring out how to suicide would be the one factoid left in the universe to figure out and so that would become my new pursuit.