• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Libertarians and the Mainline U.S. Canidates.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Are you even reading what you are writing? You will never "fade out" any government program. Do not fool yourself, Bernie wants to control you more than any other candidate out there. If, for example, you invent some device that changes the world for the good while at the same time making you a wealthy person Bernie is going to take your money and give it to someone who may sit around drinking beer all day. It's not going to matter to Ol' Bern that you voted for him.

What evidence do you have to support that?

buddhist

I vote Libertarian to steer the country in that direction.
I know what it'll never become what I want.
But if a nudge is all I can accomplish, I'll take it.
Unfortunately, I don't ever see libertarianism taking off in a major way. Most people, adults included, still have a children's mindset - they want someone or something to take care of them, and to force things to go their way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I don't ever see libertarianism taking off in a major way. Most people, adults included, still have a children's mindset - they want someone or something to take care of them, and to force things to go their way.
It's a losing battle only if one expects to win.
I hope only to improve things (in a libertarian way) over what they'd otherwise be.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I can't abide any of the GOP candidates and their social conservative agendas. None of them will get my vote.

From the dems, I'd take Bernie over Hillary.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't abide any of the GOP candidates and their social conservative agendas. None of them will get my vote.

From the dems, I'd take Bernie over Hillary.
Is that a Powerpuff Girl avatar?
Btw, they're starting up the series again with new episodes.

vaguelyhumanoid

Are you even reading what you are writing? You will never "fade out" any government program. Do not fool yourself, Bernie wants to control you more than any other candidate out there. If, for example, you invent some device that changes the world for the good while at the same time making you a wealthy person Bernie is going to take your money and give it to someone who may sit around drinking beer all day. It's not going to matter to Ol' Bern that you voted for him.

Sanders does not want to increase the scope of the state's structurally oppressive functions - militarism, imprisonment, border control, surveillance etc. Regardless of one's economic views, Sanders is the least authoritarian (i.e. most libertarian) candidate of the bunch when viewed next to the rampant interventionism of Clinton, the fundamentalism of Cruz or the fascist rhetoric of Trump.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sanders does not want to increase the scope of the state's structurally oppressive functions - militarism, imprisonment, border control, surveillance etc. Regardless of one's economic views, Sanders is the least authoritarian (i.e. most libertarian) candidate of the bunch when viewed next to the rampant interventionism of Clinton, the fundamentalism of Cruz or the fascist rhetoric of Trump.

Seriously? How do you think Bernie will confiscate wealth to redistribute it? Do you think that hard working people are simply going to hand over their money? Don't you think he'll have use governmental power to accomplish his agenda (massively I might add)?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seriously? How do you think Bernie will confiscate wealth to redistribute it? Do you think that hard working people are simply going to hand over their money? Don't you think he'll have use governmental power to accomplish his agenda (massively I might add)?
Bernie would be economically quite oppressive, but this is one area where he'd need Congress to cooperate.
He's the better candidate simply because he'd be ineffective where his intentions are the worst.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Bernie would be economically quite oppressive, but this is one area where he'd need Congress to cooperate.
He's the better candidate simply because he'd be ineffective where his intentions are the worst.

I have actually pondered your last sentence and I understand and agree with you. The problem, as I see it, is that Bern would so focused on this single item that, barring a congressional miracle, all other necessary governmental functions and programs will suffer in the fire fight.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have actually pondered your last sentence and I understand and agree with you. The problem, as I see it, is that Bern would so focused on this single item that, barring a congressional miracle, all other necessary governmental functions and programs will suffer in the fire fight.
I don't expect him to be this narrowly focused.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Granted. But this is the white horse he's riding now and if he *shudder* gets elected I feel he will internalize this as a mandate.
I think it's more likely that he's simply a politician who has seized upon a pander which he believes is his ticket to office.
How many presidential hopefuls keep their promises?
Reagan is the only remotely faithful one I know of.
All is guesswork, eh?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think it's more likely that he's simply a politician who has seized upon a pander which he believes is his ticket to office.
How many presidential hopefuls keep their promises?
Reagan is the only remotely faithful one I know of.
All is guesswork, eh?

Yep. Stay tuned.