• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberals: Do you donate to the government?

Liberals, or progressives, in the U.S. often say that society, via the government, is entitled to a higher percent of wages than is currently taken.

My question is, given this belief, do you donate to the government?

Where do you get the idea that liberals or progressives say this? Please provide your source. I find it right leaning offensive and propaganda pushing.

We must have better teachers here.
The dumb ones have learned that they can live off the taxes paid by others.

Whose the dumb one? The person who goes to work 5 days a week and pays taxes and national insurance, or the person who collects benefits and pays nothing? Granted its a rubbish life on benefits but for some its enough.

Crystallas

IDK where this post is headed. I donate to charity, and I'm involved in a big-brother program. I'm a libertarian, not a liberal though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
IDK where this post is headed. I donate to charity, and I'm involved in a big-brother program. I'm a libertarian, not a liberal though.
Sure you are...you're the original (ie, classical) liberal.
We should re-take this word for our own.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I'm actually considering tithing to the government, in order to counteract the bad karma (for lack of a better term) my parents generate by donating to a church. A couple weeks ago, my pastor explicitly advocated convincing people to go to the church for aid instead of the government (he's talking about people who had lost their homes in the tornado here). The church wants to take over the government's job (the pastor's message barely even matters, the churches had already secured a near-monopoly of the volunteer industry from the start)!
Our government may not be the most competent institution in the world, but at least I can trust it to spend the money on actually helping disaster victims instead of spreading lies. The church helps people, yes, but they do it because they know it puts people in a vulnerable position morally and ideologically (or, as my pastor would likely phrase it, "it gives us a great opportunity to witness to them and show them the good message of Jesus").

So, I want to do my part and help the government in the coming war with the church.

Unfortunately, as of yet, I have no idea where to go to donate to the government. Any ideas?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, I want to do my part and help the government in the coming war with the church.
What makes you think the gov't & the church aren't on the same side?

Where do you get the idea that liberals or progressives say this? Please provide your source. I find it right leaning offensive and propaganda pushing.
Many lefties I know say that we (Americans) aren't taxed enuf. My source? Those who tell me this.
The question as I see it....
They want to impose upon us involuntary contributions (ie, taxes) to government,
but do they themselves practice voluntary contributions (ie, donations) to government?
The subtext as I see it....
Do they contribute only when under a system which forces all to do so?
Do they contribute only when they can make the other guy do it too?

The OP reminds me of a friend who votes for big government candidates & for every
tax increase, yet he aggressively plays the game to minimize his personal tax liability.
Challenging questions are often offensive.....even revolting.

Last edited:

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
What makes you think the gov't & the church aren't on the same side?

Because the church explicitly advocates assimilating the government, it inherently cannot be at peace with the government. If the government knows what's good for it and the country it's supposed to be running (and it generally knows the former), it won't easily cave in.

I intend on donating to either disaster relief or education so as to minimize right-wing influence (a general donation may be funneled into war efforts or used to subsidize businesses, or worse, religious charities).

And heck, if this plan doesn't work, there's always my micronation. :)

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic

Coincidentally, I found that same page a few days ago when I attempted to look it up, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the information. Is it possible to send money directly in the mail? I always thought that the post-office couldn't be trusted with cash, and as embarrassing as this is, I have no clue how to write a check (or a letter, for that matter. No one bothered to teach me this kind of stuff in school.).

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Coincidentally, I found that same page a few days ago when I attempted to look it up, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the information.
Make a check out to who it says, mail it to the address.

I have no clue how to write a check
How to Write a Check - A Visual Example of how to Write a Check

Shows you how to write a check in pictures. So where it says "The Sandwich Shop" you would put "United States Treasury"...

If you want to donate to a specific department, you might have to ask them how.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Wasn't even aware you could do that... working full-time and school full-time pretty much feels up the day; the last of it usually goes to creative efforts or lying around. Never heard a public announcement asking for donations. Probably because we aren't willing to pay for the distribution of such information or vote for anyone who is. I've donated to NPR and UNICEF before, and I'd believe those both count. Hell, if I had money (which I don't), I'd donate to more, though I'd be more willing to donate to specific projects or ventures, whether public or private.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I advocate a system of progressive taxation rather than the current situation of regressive taxation.

That is, removing caps on social security contribution, and ending the tax breaks on dividends and stock capital gains, partnerships, and a few other things. This way, a person who makes $1 million per year won't be paying a lower percentage of her income towards social security than someone making $100,000 like they are now, and a person who has $10 million in stock won't be paying a tax percentage lower than someone who makes $80,000 pays in income taxes like they are now.

So rather than simply advocating paying a higher percentage, I advocate paying a reasonable progressive percentage that actually roughly matches the current income tax brackets, albeit possibly with an extra bracket.

I strongly support ending the Bush-era tax cuts, and returning to a previous era of taxation rather than this super-low tax environment for the wealthy.
^Nobody besides Revolingtest commented on that.

This isn't just about higher wages. It's about a smarter tax system, rather than one specifically designed to reduce taxes for the wealthy like we have now.

Taxes on wages isn't the problem. The taxes on those are already progressive. I'd be in favor of increasingly them slightly, back to Clinton-Era levels. (They are currently among the lowest they have ever been in the last century.)

The problem is the various deliberate loopholes to that make the system a regressive taxation system rather than a progressive ones. Social security caps is the small one, and tax benefits on interest, dividends, stock gains, fund managers, and partnerships are the big ones. Millionaires shouldn't have a 15% tax bracket on their income while a middle-class person's paycheck faces a higher one.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can go blind quoting yourself.
Conservatives I encounter seem to target the wrong thing. I'd like to know what their disagreement is to ending bush-era tax cuts, and if they specifically know what they disagree with and why.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Would you oppose, be neutral, or for the current government raising taxes?

Opposed, on principle. I believe taxation ought to be entirely voluntary. Yeah, I really think it could work. But probably won't go in that direction in my lifetime.

Spending is clearly the issue and we all know this. Unless something like military is going to be cut I would say in half (preferably more), then raising taxes will be necessary. Privatizing the military is always an option and not sure why a Republican would suggest otherwise.

Sure, there are other programs to consider great cuts in spending, but right about now Pubs have glaring weaknesses when it comes to spending, and once those are taken care of the spending cuts needed in domestic / Progressive budget areas can be made with authority. Right now, it is a bunch of political hypocrites playing a game that is decades old and coming to an end soon, we can only hope.