• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lauren Southern makes it into Australia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No one has declared anything of the sort. This is just social mythology made up by people who to pander to white racists for their own profit. And this crap sells because the white racists want to see themselves as being 'under attack' so they can justify attacking others.

I would like you to comment this video. Hungarian PM

PureX

Veteran Member
I would like you to comment this video. Hungarian PM
What does this have to do with anything? Some Hungarian dude thinks Hungary doesn't "need" a single immigrant. What does that even mean? How could he possibly know what Hungary needs, or what any single immigrant might bring into Hungary and contribute to it's culture and it's society? The guy's just another ignoramus spouting off as if he were omniscient.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How is wearing this shirt a bad action?

She is trying to make a problem out of a non-problem. That a few loons support "all whites are racists" does not mean that it is a real problem. It is best to simply point out that some on the far left are loons with views that make them as bad as the people that they oppose.

Rational Agnostic

She is trying to make a problem out of a non-problem. That a few loons support "all whites are racists" does not mean that it is a real problem. It is best to simply point out that some on the far left are loons with views that make them as bad as the people that they oppose.

Maybe. I still don't see anything wrong with the shirt though. But I don't deny that it's, at the very least, a bit of a publicity stunt.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
No one has declared anything of the sort. This is just social mythology made up by people who to pander to white racists for their own profit. And this crap sells because the white racists want to see themselves as being 'under attack' so they can justify attacking others.

In my experience it's really an uphill battle to prove that something doesn't exist, which is what you're claiming in your first sentence.

Look into these commonly held ideas: white privilege, intersectionality theory, identity politics, and the oppressed vs. oppressor worldview. All of these commonly espoused ideas rely to some degree on the idea that it's not okay to be white.

icehorse

Premium Member

I think a lot of really smart people are struggling to know how widespread this problem is. FWIW, I think it's a serious problem, not just "a few loons".

PureX

Veteran Member
In my experience it's really an uphill battle to prove that something doesn't exist, which is what you're claiming in your first sentence.

Look into these commonly held ideas: white privilege, intersectionality theory, identity politics, and the oppressed vs. oppressor worldview. All of these commonly espoused ideas rely to some degree on the idea that it's not okay to be white.
No, they really do not. They rely on the connection between racism and power. Neither of which imply that it's not OK to be white, black, green or blue. What they imply is that it's not OK to use racism to impose power. And I doubt you'd find many who would seriously disagree with this ... and those few who would will be clearly avowed racists.

Someone gave an example above about a "fat lesbian" college teacher (already the prejudice is apparent) stating that all white people are racists. And although I have little doubt this is what some people HEARD her say, I also have little doubt that they have no idea what she was actually saying. And what she was actually saying was that if you are white-skinned and you live in a white-skinned empowered society; that discriminates routinely in favor of white-skinned people, and you participate in that society and enjoy the advantages of that discrimination (as all white people do in such a society) then you are technically a racist whether you are aware of it or not.

Which is quite reasonably true. And I suspect the teacher stated it in a way meant to catch the class by surprise, and incredulous, hoping to make them face the reality of their own white privilege.

icehorse

Premium Member
No, they really do not. They rely on the connection between racism and power.

There is an important distinction here. These ideas* ALL rely on the idea that because of some immutable property, like a person's skin color, that person CANNOT be a part of certain conversations, regardless of their expertise.

* white privilege, intersectionality, identity politics and oppressed vs. oppressor

And what she was actually saying was that if you are white-skinned and you live in a white-skinned dominated society; that discriminates routinely in favor of white-skinned people, and you participate in that society and enjoy the advantages of that discrimination (as all white people do in such a society) then you are technically a racist whether you are aware of it or not.

Bingo! That is complete and utter nonsense. That is - itself - a racist and bigoted claim. The irony is astounding. That is a perfect example of the kind of thinking Southern is exposing. This idea is in direct opposition to critical thinking. It attempts to negate the very notion of expertise. This idea is worthy of ridicule. It defies logic. Should I go on?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
White people are not racist... etc etc etc. Not one immigrant is needed, etc etc etc

CruzNichaphor

Well, it's embarrassingly stupid to think that anyone else thinks it's "not OK" to be white (or to be any other color). No one thinks that but her. And since her assumption is based on her own racial prejudice, and resentment, that would make her an "embarrassingly (stupid) racist".

That is a massive reach.

I've known countless people personally who think white men are the sole demographic to blame for everything wrong with the world today and throughout history - these are also well educated, thoughtful people (despite being severely misguided). This has only been a recent development too.

One only has to make the most cursory search of youtube to see how much ridiculous (and acceptable) racism has been aimed directly at men very rapidly and very recently.

One could argue that Southern is doing a right and fair public service in the interests of addressing this odd phenomenon.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
That is a massive reach.

I've known countless people personally who think white men are the sole demographic to blame for everything wrong with the world today and throughout history - these are also well educated, thoughtful people (despite being severely misguided). This has only been a recent development too.

One only has to make the most cursory search of youtube to see how much ridiculous (and acceptable) racism has been aimed directly at men very rapidly and very recently.

One could argue that Southern is doing a right and fair public service in the interests of addressing this odd phenomenon.
Such extremists exist. Do you think the average white person pays them much mind?

Kangaroo Feathers

I assume any attempt for you to make such an explanation would result in a rather hard hit to your credibility.

I can't see how stating that "Being white is OK" could possibly be a racist message unless you are someone who believes that being white is not okay or if you believe that all Caucasians are inherently racist.

So what's your position Sub? Is it as racist as the one I've inferred from you?
Please.

Kangaroo Feathers

Dead on.

I've certainly noticed that since the days of Keating and the discourse that flowed through the Howard years, the Australian media started to lag in terms of its socio-political discourse; the media in particular seems to have an ill-founded presumption that Australian society is somehow more multicultural and socially progressive than the rest of the west when in fact it seems that they've completely missed what has been going on over the last 3-10 years.
Same question to you. WHICH "default assumptions" does the Australian public need to change?

Kangaroo Feathers

How about the idea that multiculturalism should be preferred over Western secular values?
And that's the default assumption of Australians, is it? You have evidence for that?

Which "secular Western values" do you think multiculturalism can be preffered over in the first place?