• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lauren Southern makes it into Australia

CruzNichaphor

1. 3rd Wave Feminism is not just acceptable but the only alternative to misogyny;
2. Australian Aboriginals continue to be an oppressed minority;
3. White men are the sole demographic to blame for everything wrong with the world today and throughout history;
4. Multiculturalism is an overwhelming success and any criticism of it is inherently racist;
5. Islamic traditions have a right to take precedence over Australian federal and state law

There's five off the top of my head.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
1. 3rd Wave Feminism is not just acceptable but the only alternative to misogyny;
2. Australian Aboriginals continue to be an oppressed minority;
3. White men are the sole demographic to blame for everything wrong with the world today and throughout history;
4. Multiculturalism is an overwhelming success and any criticism of it is inherently racist;
5. Islamic traditions have a right to take precedence over Australian federal and state law

There's five off the top of my head.
Where's your evidence that these are the default assumptions of any meaningful number of the public in Australia?

CruzNichaphor

I don't know what white people you're hanging out with, but ok.

I "hang out" with a lot of different people. All of them have different views about the world we live in.

Not sure what your focus is on the white people I rub shoulders with is all about? Are you talking about my friends, colleagues, bosses, uni friends, family, that truck driver who always waves to me when I walk down the street?

What's your point?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
London is not a sultanate, EF. It is governed by a London Assembly within the constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy that is the UK. It does not have a sovereign of its own.

All right...but, in my country we have an inflexible radical secularism that doesn't tolerate the presence of "religious talk" in the political discourse.
The mayor of London is considered by many British a political representative of a religion that refuses to sign the "secular agreement" with our Republic.
We are trying to convince them..but they won't sign (Hinduism, Buddhism signed pleasantly , besides Christian churches and Judaism)

So..their intransigence is the reason of such mistrust.

Kirran

Premium Member
All right...but, in my country we have an inflexible radical secularism that doesn't tolerate the presence of "religious talk" in the political discourse.
The mayor of London is considered by many British a political representative of a religion that refuses to sign the "secular agreement" with our Republic.
We are trying to convince them..but they won't sign (Hinduism, Buddhism signed pleasantly , besides Christian churches and Judaism)

So..their intransigence is the reason of such mistrust.

Is he a political representative?

And who is signing what, and what does Sadiq Khan have to do with it?

CruzNichaphor

Where's your evidence that these are the default assumptions of any meaningful number of the public in Australia?

The way in which history is taught during K-10 schooling years, then, to a lesser extent, 11-12; then suddenly Australian tertiary education (look no further than the revered Sydney University and its surrounding student-populated suburbs) takes a deep dive into near extremist versions of the assumptions I listed.

Australian society as a whole has an understatedly awkward and pale cultural identity.

Try sitting at a pub on 26th of January and watch what happens - it's one of the most drunkenly belligerent scenes you'll ever see - almost all the fights (not arguments or debates - fights) revolve around race and nation as people from all corners seem to vent about a society that is oddly tense on these issues despite the insistence that they are "laid back" and give everyone a "fair go" and all that noise.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Is he a political representative?

And who is signing what, and what does Sadiq Khan have to do with it?
Ok...let's drop it...:D
To remain on topic, Lauren Southern was banned for no reason...and that's mystifying.

PureX

Veteran Member
There is an important distinction here. These ideas* ALL rely on the idea that because of some immutable property, like a person's skin color, that person CANNOT be a part of certain conversations, regardless of their expertise.
What the privileged and empowered race (whatever race that may be) will not willingly understand, and very often will refuse to recognize, is the damage their race-based empowerment does to those not of the empowered race. Thus, by their own willful ignorance, they exclude themselves from conversations on that subject. Or they continually disrupt such conversation as they attempt to discredit and dismiss them as nonsense.
Bingo! That is complete and utter nonsense. That is - itself - a racist and bigoted claim. The irony is astounding. That is a perfect example of the kind of thinking Southern is exposing. This idea is in direct opposition to critical thinking. It attempts to negate the very notion of expertise. This idea is worthy of ridicule. It defies logic. Should I go on?
What you should do is stop sputtering groundless objections and explain what it is exactly that you find so logically objectionable. Because it appears too me that you are trying to object to the reality of white privilege in a white-dominated society, and I really don't see how you're going to claim that it isn't real when nearly every CEO, politician, and member of the investor class (the ruling class in a capitalist society) is white, has always been white, and very likely will continue to be white in the future (and male, but this discussion is about race).

PureX

Veteran Member
That is a massive reach.

I've known countless people personally who think white men are the sole demographic to blame for everything wrong with the world today...
But not one of them is making this claim based on their being white. They are making the claim based on their being the privileged elite that's making all the effective decisions in society, for everyone else.

The problem with Donald Trump is NOT that he's white. And no one is saying that it is. The problem is that white privilidge in this country has become so absurdly pervasive that a such a clearly inept candidate could still gain the office.

Kangaroo Feathers

The way in which history is taught during K-10 schooling years, then, to a lesser extent, 11-12; then suddenly Australian tertiary education (look no further than the revered Sydney University and its surrounding student-populated suburbs) takes a deep dive into near extremist versions of the assumptions I listed.

Australian society as a whole has an understatedly awkward and pale cultural identity.

Try sitting at a pub on 26th of January and watch what happens - it's one of the most drunkenly belligerent scenes you'll ever see - almost all the fights (not arguments or debates - fights) revolve around race and nation as people from all corners seem to vent about a society that is oddly tense on these issues despite the insistence that they are "laid back" and give everyone a "fair go" and all that noise.
So no actual evidence of the things you claimed were default positions. Thought not.

Kangaroo Feathers

I "hang out" with a lot of different people. All of them have different views about the world we live in.

Not sure what your focus is on the white people I rub shoulders with is all about? Are you talking about my friends, colleagues, bosses, uni friends, family, that truck driver who always waves to me when I walk down the street?

What's your point?
My point is that you made a claim about what many white people think and that your claimed experience does not mirror my own. Another point I'd have thought was fairly clear from context.

CruzNichaphor

The problem is that white privilidge in this country has become so absurdly pervasive that a such a clearly inept candidate could still gain the office.

Dangerous territory.

Obama was pretty inept - his racial handicap didn't stop him gaining office.

Kangaroo Feathers

Dangerous territory.

Obama was pretty inept - his racial handicap didn't stop him gaining office.
If he was as inept as Trump, do you think he could? Say what you like about Obama's performance, (I never liked him, myself) but on paper, at least, he's one of the most qualified candidates of recent time. If he'd been an adulterous failed business man with multiple accusations of inappropriate professional and personal conduct hanging over him, do you think he'd have come anywhere near the White House?