• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Labrynthitus sucks!!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This morning I could be in for another dose of labrynthitus. Yuk!

The last time it happened I woke up with swirling vision (like the old tv screens could revolve quickly), absolutely no balance at all, not even when flat-out on the floor! And sickness, with constant gagging and vomiting.

I thought that I had had a stroke or something similar. My wife called for an ambulance and I got carted in to Canterbury Hospital. A young doctor diagnosed 'labrynthitus' and instructed that I should be kept on a ward for the day until I could stand up, and then to rest at home for several days until balance, eyesight etc was restored again.

But the problem was that he didn't communicate his diagnosis clearly enough to the nursing staff, who took one glance at my condition and constant vomiting and then treated me as if I was a totally irresponsible druggie or drunk who was costing the NHS loads of much needed nursing time and costs for being nothing more than a low-life.

At this time I don't yet know whether I'm going to go in to this condition yet again, or get away with it. :(

Does anybody else suffer from this horrible condition?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
My goodness! @oldbadger , I feel so bad for you!

I know how awful dizziness and losing balance can be.... I get vertigo, daily. But never gag or throw-up.

Man, that would be doubly awful! Hope they can find a cure!

Doctors really haven’t helped me at all, w/ my vertigo.

I believe we’ll only get healed, when Jehovah’s “tent is with mankind”.
Revelation 21:3-4...Isaiah 33:24. We will be ‘pardoned’: no more sickness or imperfection.

Take care of yourself, my friend!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

The last time it happened I woke up with swirling vision (like the old tv screens could revolve quickly), absolutely no balance at all, not even when flat-out on the floor! And sickness, with constant gagging and vomiting.

I thought that I had had a stroke or something similar. My wife called for an ambulance and I got carted in to Canterbury Hospital. A young doctor diagnosed 'labrynthitus' and instructed that I should be kept on a ward for the day until I could stand up, and then to rest at home for several days until balance, eyesight etc was restored again.

But the problem was that he didn't communicate his diagnosis clearly enough to the nursing staff, who took one glance at my condition and constant vomiting and then treated me as if I was a totally irresponsible druggie or drunk who was costing the NHS loads of much needed nursing time and costs for being nothing more than a low-life.

At this time I don't yet know whether I'm going to go in to this condition yet again, or get away with it. :(

I sympathize OB...I had labrynthitis some years ago. I just woke up one morning and as I turned my head the room started to spin and I didn't know which way was up. I started to feel sick and asked my husband to get me a bucket....the vomiting soon followed. I had no idea what was happening, only that if I moved my head it set it off again...so I stayed in bed as still as I could. I managed to get a doctor's appointment the next day and he explained what it was.

upload_2019-7-5_19-20-5.jpeg

Inflammation of the labyrinth can disrupt your hearing and sense of balance, triggering the symptoms of labyrinthitis. The labyrinth usually becomes inflamed either because of: a viral infection, such as a cold or flu.
Labyrinthitis - Illnesses & conditions | NHS inform

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and.../labyrinthitis

It settled down after a week or so and I have never had it again....don't want it either. I had never heard of it till I got it.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Stupid hospital people!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I hope things are ok for you.

I have not had it nor do i know anyone who has. But you mentioned stroke. My father had a stroke about 10 years ago that effected the part of the brain responsible for balance. Same dizzynes, world shifting, nausea, vomiting etc

His comment on recovering enough to stand and walk was "its was like being on a month long drunk". He has never touched a drop since for fear of just a few moments of that same sensation.

He recovered well and lives a normal life other than one small problem that really bugs him. He has to sit to put his socks on.

shmogie

So, what is it ?

Audie

Veteran Member

Take care, my sparring partner! We love you and want
you to be in good condition!

as to your q-

Only those in Britain suffer from the British health care system.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I liked the part about government employees treating you like crap.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I sympathize OB...I had labrynthitis some years ago. I just woke up one morning and as I turned my head the room started to spin and I didn't know which way was up. I started to feel sick and asked my husband to get me a bucket....the vomiting soon followed. I had no idea what was happening, only that if I moved my head it set it off again...so I stayed in bed as still as I could. I managed to get a doctor's appointment the next day and he explained what it was.

View attachment 30635

Inflammation of the labyrinth can disrupt your hearing and sense of balance, triggering the symptoms of labyrinthitis. The labyrinth usually becomes inflamed either because of: a viral infection, such as a cold or flu.
Labyrinthitis - Illnesses & conditions | NHS inform

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and.../labyrinthitis

It settled down after a week or so and I have never had it again....don't want it either. I had never heard of it till I got it.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Stupid hospital people!
That is exactly how it is with me.
First time, I thought I had suffered a stroke.... I know better now.
:)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I hope things are ok for you.

I have not had it nor do i know anyone who has. But you mentioned stroke. My father had a stroke about 10 years ago that effected the part of the brain responsible for balance. Same dizzynes, world shifting, nausea, vomiting etc

His comment on recovering enough to stand and walk was "its was like being on a month long drunk". He has never touched a drop since for fear of just a few moments of that same sensation.

He recovered well and lives a normal life other than one small problem that really bugs him. He has to sit to put his socks on.
Thank you for the info.
How interesting!
Strokes can have such strange consequences. A mate of mine had a stroke and has never been able to understand English ever since. He cannot read, write, speak or hear it. And yet, 11 years later he still gets about, although he gets help with shopping etc.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I liked the part about government employees treating you like crap.
You would have loved to see me grovelling around on the floor and vomiting everywhere. :D

I don't mind being treated like crap by nurses, but these were male nurses. A gorgeous dominant mid aged nurse with a slipper might have been better.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You would have loved to see me grovelling around on the floor and vomiting everywhere. :D
Oh, no....I'd have averted me peepers at that.
But the government "care" providers....yes.
(Anti-government schadenfreude, you know.)
I don't mind being treated like crap by nurses, but these were male nurses. A gorgeous dominant mid aged nurse with a slipper might have been better.
Good luck with the sponge bathing.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Oh, no....I'd have averted me peepers at that.
But the government "care" providers....yes.
(Anti-government schadenfreude, you know.)
Give it a short while and you could get put in a care home under lock and key.
Now now, Mr Revolting! Eat up all your porridge or you can't have any toast!
Heh heh......!

Good luck with the sponge bathing.
I can live with sponge bathing.......... subject to which nurse......