• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KRISTALLNACHT

shmogie

The percentage of white people in the US (73%) is about the same as the percentage of Christians (74%). Would you see it as problematic to call the USA a "white nation?"

If so, then hopefully you'll understand how it's similarly problematic to call the USA a "Christian nation."
Your argument is specious. One has no choice as to their race. One chooses religion.

Would you call Jordan a muslim nation ?

The majority of the population of Israel are Jews, secular or not. Is Israel a Jewish nation ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your argument is specious. One has no choice as to their race. One chooses religion.
This is not entirely so.
While true for some who are "religion fluid", people born
into a religion & culture don't appear likely to change.
One might say that they could change, but if the tendency
to remain the same is overwhelming, to call it a "choice"
seems rather misleading.
And I could never choose a religion any more than I
could choose to believe that 1 + 1 = 3, or that invisible
unicorns are pink, or that spaghetti deities can fly.

Oh, race is often a choice, eg, Obama's picking his
black half to be his identity.

Last edited:

shmogie

This is not entirely so.
People born into a religion & culture don't appear likely to change.
And I could never choose a religion any more than I could choose to believe that 1 + 1 = 3.
However, people born into a religion, at least in the US, can choose to leave it when they choose.

Cultural and familial considerations may be present, but the right to choose remains the same.

PureX

Veteran Member
DEFINITION
  1. the occasion of concerted violence by Nazis throughout Germany and Austria against Jews and their property on the night of November 9–10, 1938.
This is what happens when you demonize people with hates sight and lies.
Yes, like how Trump demonizes immigrants. And the Christian right demonizes gays. And the police demonize black males. And our government demonizes Muslim "terrorists" (while ignoring our home-grown mass-murdering terrorists). And how political conservatives demonize "liberals". And how ...

Welcome to America, the land of demons.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
However, people born into a religion, at least in the US, can choose to leave it when they choose.

Cultural and familial considerations may be present, but the right to choose remains the same.
If one remains as one was indoctrinated, & never considers
other orientations, then choice is effectively unavailable.
This would be due to mental limitation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So what?

It's okay to exclude minority groups as long as the people in those groups chose to belong to them?

Would you call Jordan a muslim nation ?
Its state religion is Islam.

What's the state religion of the US?

The majority of the population of Israel are Jews, secular or not. Is Israel a Jewish nation ?
The laws of Israel declare Israel as a "Jewish state."

Do American laws declare the US to be a "Christian state?" Think hard this time.

Flankerl

It may have originated as such, but these days it is a sobering reminder.

Only outside of German speaking countries.
In these countries the discourse is on about the term.

Usually the term "Reichspogromnacht" is more proper.
Or of course "Novemberpogrome" as the pogrom lasted for an entire week.

shmogie

So what?

It's okay to exclude minority groups as long as the people in those groups chose to belong to them?

Its state religion is Islam.

What's the state religion of the US?

The laws of Israel declare Israel as a "Jewish state."

Do American laws declare the US to be a "Christian state?" Think hard this time.
I don´t have to think about it, since I was in law classes most likely before you were born.

You have now flipped the argument from the colloquial to the legal.

The United States has no State religion. Britain, one of the more secular and atheistic countries in the West does, so Britain is a Christian nation, right ?

Is the US a Christian nation ?, not by legal fiat. However it is based upon itś history, traditions, and culture always held by the majority of itś population.

You sometimes adopt the techniques of the snide, don´t you ?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The percentage of white people in the US (73%) is about the same as the percentage of Christians (74%). Would you see it as problematic to call the USA a "white nation?"

If so, then hopefully you'll understand how it's similarly problematic to call the USA a "Christian nation."

You seem to have worked hard to miss the point.

shmogie

If one remains as one was indoctrinated, & never considers
other orientations, then choice is effectively unavailable.
This would be due to mental limitation.
I disagree. There are way too many examples of people exercising choice to conclude that those raised in a particular religion are unable to leave.

I was raised in a Southern Baptist family. Faith was in the very fabric of the family, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents.

Yet, in college I renounced the faith, and became an atheist. The fact that later in life I corrected that error is irrelevant to the point that I left the Faith for years.

My experience has been repeated thousands, perhaps millions of times, and many suffered dearly for their choice,

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There are way too many examples of people exercising choice to conclude that those raised in a particular religion are unable to leave.
You live in a strange place.
This country was founded by, and remains dominated by, an extremely overbearing religion.
But it was founded with a secular morality.

Separation of church and state, that sort of thing.
Most people don't live in places like that.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don´t have to think about it, since I was in law classes most likely before you were born.
... for all the good it did you.

I don't necessarily believe a thing you say, but if you took some constitutional law classes before Lemon v. Kurtzman, that might explain a few things.

You have now flipped the argument from the colloquial to the legal.
I was never talking about either. I've been trying to figure out in what sense the US could ever be considered a "Christian nation."

At first you spoke to demographics, but then when I asked you whether you thought that the US is a "white nation," you rejected the idea that a nation is defined by its demographics.

The United States has no State religion. Britain, one of the more secular and atheistic countries in the West does, so Britain is a Christian nation, right ?
In one sense, yes. In other senses, no.

Is the US a Christian nation ?, not by legal fiat. However it is based upon itś history, traditions, and culture always held by the majority of itś population.
Baloney. Since its inception, the US was founded on the idea that religion should be a private, individual matter. The first chance the American government - including some of the Founding Fathers - had to declare what sort of nation the United States was, they officially declared that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

The American Founding Fathers weren't idiots or ignorant of their own history. They recognized the role that sectarianism played in the English Civil War and resolved to make a secular nation in order to avoid the abuses that had happened when religion was allowed to influence government.

You sometimes adopt the techniques of the snide, don´t you ?
I tend to give what I get.

shmogie

You live in a strange place.
This country was founded by, and remains dominated by, an extremely overbearing religion.
But it was founded with a secular morality.

Separation of church and state, that sort of thing.
Most people don't live in places like that.
Tom
Please quote from the Constitution where the term separation of church and state is found. Don´t try, you won´t find it.

What you will find regarding the state is that it cannot identify a state approved and supported religion.

An overbearing religion ? I think not.

If it was founded by those of a particular religion, wouldn´t you think they had the right to determine what their creation would be ?