• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KRISTALLNACHT

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Kristallnacht ... was a pogrom against Jews carried out by SA Paramilitary forces and civilians throughout Nazi Germany on 9-10 November 1938, The German authorities looked on without intervening. - Wikipedia

We seem to have become adept at looking on without intervening.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Lest we forget. I hope things improve, but in my country they look bad. For shame.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No broken glass in me own neck of the woods.
Jews, Muslims, Christians, heathens...we got'm all.
And we get along just fine. I can buy ham at a Jewish
deli, & booze from Muslims. And this heathen does
business with a Christian charity. Life is good.
Let's all ensure it stays (becomes?) that way everywhere.

Edit...
And on top of all that wonderfulness, the sun just came out.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
There are fears that it will happen again here in the USA but generally anywhere that it might happen again. It is hoped that can be avoided by maintaining the memory of what has happened. We have since seen things like it happen. It hasn't stopped happening. The memory is insufficient to guarantee it never occurs again, but it might stop it from happening at least once.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There are fears that it will happen again here in the USA but generally anywhere that it might happen again. It is hoped that can be avoided by maintaining the memory of what has happened. We have since seen things like it happen. It hasn't stopped happening. The memory is insufficient to guarantee it never occurs again, but it might stop it from happening at least once.
It will happen again here in the USA? When did it happen the first time?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It will happen again here in the USA? When did it happen the first time?
With some modifications to this poem, the history of the USA is littered with atrocities and in the case of Native Americans, the death toll from illness, the horror of the Trail of Tears, etc are notable. Slavery? What more needs to be said.:

First they came for the [blacks]
And I did not speak out
Because I was not [black]

Then they came for the [Native Americans]
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a [Native American]

Then they came for the [gays]
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a [gay]

Then they came for the Jews
And there was no one left
To speak out for me; [I'm Jewish]

exchemist

Veteran Member
Kristallnacht ... was a pogrom against Jews carried out by SA Paramilitary forces and civilians throughout Nazi Germany on 9-10 November 1938, The German authorities looked on without intervening. - Wikipedia

Indeed, a lot of us feel like that in Britain too, now that we have a prime minister who is trying to set das Volk against Parliament. It feels deeply disquieting.

The terrible dilemma is: when does one intervene? Too early and one is written off as hysterical and achieves nothing. Too late and....well, we know how it can end.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
With some modifications to this poem, the history of the USA is littered with atrocities and in the case of Native Americans, the death toll from illness, the horror of the Trail of Tears, etc are notable.
The estimate that I've seen is probably around 40 million in the Americas due directly or indirectly by European-Americans.

PureX

Veteran Member
It has happened in the U.S. in the past, and it clearly could happen again. Keep in mind we have mass shootings every few weeks, and the government does nothing. We have an ongoing problem with police shooting people of color for no justifiable reason, and the government does nothing. We have attacked and invaded other nations based on false and foolish claims and threats made by our own government. We have allowed our government officials to become the paid toadies of wealthy conglomerates willing to start wars, poison our air, poison our water, poison our bodies, and destroy our lands, all for their own profit.

A few nights of bigoted bloodlust and looting would be just another weekend in the U. S., these days.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
With some modifications to this poem, the history of the USA is littered with atrocities and in the case of Native Americans, the death toll from illness, the horror of the Trail of Tears, etc are notable. Slavery? What more needs to be said.:

First they came for the [blacks]
And I did not speak out
Because I was not [black]

Then they came for the [Native Americans]
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a [Native American]

Then they came for the [gays]
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a [gay]

Then they came for the Jews
And there was no one left
To speak out for me; [I'm Jewish]
Hey!
This was all back when the USA was a Christian Nation.
We aren't anymore.

Several RF posters will be happy to tell you that.
Tom

shmogie

It was called crystal night because of all the windows broken in Jewish businesses.

Yes, to paraphrase a German pastor in nazi Germany. ¨ When they came for the Jews, we did nothing, when they came for the homosexuals, we did nothing, when they came for the Catholics, we did nothing, now they will come for us¨ .

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The overwhelming majority of Americans still identify as Christians.
The percentage of white people in the US (73%) is about the same as the percentage of Christians (74%). Would you see it as problematic to call the USA a "white nation?"

If so, then hopefully you'll understand how it's similarly problematic to call the USA a "Christian nation."

sooda

Veteran Member
It has happened in the U.S. in the past, and it clearly could happen again. Keep in mind we have mass shootings every few weeks, and the government does nothing. We have an ongoing problem with police shooting people of color for no justifiable reason, and the government does nothing. We have attacked and invaded other nations based on false and foolish claims and threats made by our own government. We have allowed our government officials to become the paid toadies of wealthy conglomerates willing to start wars, poison our air, poison our water, poison our bodies, and destroy our lands, all for their own profit.

A few nights of bigoted bloodlust and looting would be just another weekend in the U. S., these days.
DEFINITION
  1. the occasion of concerted violence by Nazis throughout Germany and Austria against Jews and their property on the night of November 9–10, 1938.
This is what happens when you demonize people with hates sight and lies.