1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Komodo dragons, Noahs Ark, how did it happen

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by osgart, Jun 11, 2018.

1. osgart

osgart Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Ratings:
    +850
    Religion:
    Spiritual Naturalist
    Komodo dragons are land animals, with a poisonous mouth.

These suckers aint tame or friendly.

Subdue one, i dont think so.

#1 osgart, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,796
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Why the question about the Ark?

3. Estro Felino

Estro Felino Believer in free will
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Religion:
    Pelagianism
    The fact that the Varanidae, the biggest lizards of the suborder Lacertilia live in Australia shows that probably, the continent was already separated from the rest...before the last dinosaurs went extinct completely

Well...I guess to underline the fancifulness of the Biblical tale.

4. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,454
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    I'm not sure I'm following the OP's intent.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,178
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Flamebait.

6. Cacotopia

Cacotopia Let's go full Trottle

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist
    false the bacteria that lives in their mouths is deadly they do not kill with venom, they bite and then follow their prey till it dies or is to weak to continue from the infection the lizard gave them.

Komodo Island is just a few hours away from where I live. No one is allowed to live their cause those lizards are the apex land predator in these parts, They eat everything including each other.

A few smart tourists have gotten out of the jeeps on the Komodo tours, they end up as food scraps for the komodos. Last story I read in the paper some Swedish guy wanted a better picture, all they found left was a shoe and his backpack.

7. exchemist

Ratings:
    +2,178
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Komodo has a a population of 2000 people: Komodo (island) - Wikipedia

8. Cacotopia

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist
    IN regards to the ark, why stop at just the komodo dragon? What about amphibious creatures that need access to water? Or creatures with life spans shorter than 40 days like bees? and a bunch of other insects, or even just a pair of animals can't repopulate the planet. Carnivores in general? How did those Kangaroos hop 9000 miles to Australia and not leave any trace of their passage to that continent, let alone swimming across a sea? Or ANY creature isolated in just Australia, or any other continent for that matter? It's a very charming children's story that begs a visit for a neurologist and a psychologist if you still think it's true and are over the age of 10.

What did animals do to deserve being wiped out by god? God is a sadistic prick to kill off nearly all life on the planet for the errors of a single species.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Cacotopia

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Not on the island I went to. Or perhaps the tour info I got was wrong.

10. Cacotopia

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist
  11. exchemist

Ratings:
    +2,178
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    That article says nothing about whether or not Komodo is inhabited.

This link, on the other hand, explains that the largest settlement in the park is Komodo Village, which is on Komodo Island: http://florestourism.com/places/komodo-national-park/ , in line with what Wiki claims.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +7,748
    Religion:
    none
    That's what people used to think, but more recently they discovered they actually are somewhat venomous.

There aren't any jeeps for tours afaik, you have to walk around the Islands looking for them (and usually not finding any apart from the ones who hang around the visitor centre kitchens at the end of the tour).

You can get pretty close to them 5-10m maybe and the guides are pretty relaxed about it unless you start being careless. The guides have big sticks which they use to control them if they walk towards people. The odd tourist gets bitten though, and very occasionally a local gets killed.

Komodo and Rinca are the 2 Islands with dragons and both have permanent populations in fishing villages from long before the tourism boom.

13. Augustus

Ratings:
    +7,748
    Religion:
    none
    Could trap one in a box pretty easily, they ain't rocket scientists. Just cripple a goat and they'll come running for dinner.

Were I making an ark, I'd be more worried about catching lions, tigers and gorillas :D

14. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,983
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Your question: I think Noah was a Komodo-whisperer. If not He would have been Komodo-brunch.

15. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,484
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    @osgart Whatever creatures were on the ark, they were chosen by God and brought to Noah....he didn't have to capture them or subdue them.....this was God's doing...remember?

Besides, I don't believe that animals were flesh eaters before the flood. Man was given permission to eat meat only after the flood....perhaps this applied to animals as well...? Only then did God instill a fear of man in animals.

Genesis 9:1-7...."God went on to bless Noah and his sons and to say to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth. 2 A fear of you and a terror of you will continue upon every living creature of the earth and upon every flying creature of the heavens, upon everything that moves on the ground and upon all the fish of the sea. They are now given into your hand. 3 Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. Just as I gave you the green vegetation, I give them all to you. 4 Only flesh with its life—its blood—you must not eat. 5 Besides that, I will demand an accounting for your lifeblood. I will demand an accounting from every living creature; and from each man I will demand an accounting for the life of his brother. 6 Anyone shedding man’s blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God’s image He made man. 7 As for you, be fruitful and become many, and increase abundantly on the earth and multiply.”

16. Cacotopia

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist

Really? I was there, I was in a truck like vehicle with benches in the back and cage around it.

Maybe it was a lie and I had a total recall moment.

17. Cacotopia

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Are we really arguing about the human population of Komodo Island and not the huge lie about the ark? And that millions of species the carnivores not eating the herbivore and animals peacefully walking on to a wooden boat, built by a 600 year old man and his family who had no history of being a shipwright, and slept peacefully for 40 days and nights without the need for food? Or How there was even enough room for a pair of each and every single insect, amphibian, reptile, mammal, and bird? It's about as believable as Greek & Norwegian mythology.

How are there freshwater species of fish, wouldn't they have all died off?

The only other biblical story that trumps this one is Jonah living inside a fish.

18. Augustus

Ratings:
    +7,748
    Religion:
    none
    If you say so I'll take your word for it, I'm not king of the island :D I've just never seen any tours by motor vehicle, and given the terrain, absence of roads and elusive nature of the lizards just wouldn't have thought it too practical compared to walking.

How long ago was it? They have changed the 'rules' a fair bit over the years. They used to string up goats for a spectacle but this was seen as being unnatural thus harmful.

19. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,662
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    How did noah keep the shrews alive? They die in a few hours without food.

20. Cacotopia

Ratings:
    +1,376
    Religion:
    Atheist
    about 8 years? so things may have changed.

You should see the zoos in Indonesia man you you can "fish" with chickens with the gators here to get a good photo shot. It's pretty effed up here.