• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kemetic Q&A- Ask any respectful question

Boethiah

Penguin
This is a bit of a big question, but what is the religion exactly? I just need a basic run down to get me up to speed. :)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Boethis- This is a bit of a big question, but what is the religion exactly? I just need a basic run down to get me up to speed. :)

Kemetic Orthodoxy, to speak of my particular rite, is a religion and federally recognized temple/church located in Chicago, IL called the House of Netjer. This belief system is a reconstruct of the beliefs of ancient Egypt, and currently has about 1500 members, and gains 30-70 converts a year. Kemetic Orthodox ascribes to Monoaltry, the idea that Netjer is a divine collective (God) consisting of many names and forms called gods and goddesses.

Is that basic enough Boe? Would you like to know more?

Onkara

When answering questions about it I mean, and btw, Egyptologists themselves have said the closest religion to Kemetic belief is Hinduism, so that's not an unfair comparison.

No, no, not at all, it is helpful to understand the religion. It isn't an attack, :) far from it, rather I am trying to understand the foundation and how Kemetics see their own religion by itself, isolated. Which is why I asked if there is a purpose during this life or if it is about the afterlife, for example? And about scriptures? You see, I am making my own comparison as I have little material to base decent questions, so I am trying to ask really if there is something one can pick up and run with without having to look outside of the religion for guidance (be it good or bad, I am not judging that) but rather want to know if the religion answers all your questions?

Rainbow Mage

Very well Onkarah. Yes, I will try to answer to the best of my ability. The goal of a Kemetic Orthodox is to get to know their spiritual parents (whichever god or goddess created their ka/soul), to eliminate Isfet from the world, to increase Ma'at (truth, justice, what is right) in the world. To live and grow together in the spiritual family and fold of the House of Netjer (Kemetic Orthodoxy). The final goal is the Duat/afterlife, where we will spend our time enjoying things we enjoy now- food, drink, friendship, work, sex, etc.

Rainbow Mage

We believe we will also get to meet our parents there, whichever god or goddess specifically created our soul. In my case it is Sekhmet-Mut.

xkatz

How is Kemetic Wiccan worship of god different from Kemetic Orthodox worship of god?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
How is Kemetic Wiccan worship of god different from Kemetic Orthodox worship of god?
Well it is a combination of the two religions. I think the best way to describe it, is that I worship the Kemetic Gods and Goddesses, but I do it mostly through the methods that any Wiccan would use to worship the Deities that their heart was centered around. I am really big on rituals including standard Wiccan tools such as an Athame, chalice, candles, incense, an offering, wine, and a ritual circle itself.

On a side note, combining Kemeticism with Wicca allows me flexibility in my magick, as I can practice both Wiccan style ritual magick and classic Ancient Egyptian magick.

Rainbow Mage

Just to ask enchanted. Since we do practice different forms of Kemetic belief. Do you view the gods in a Monoaltrous way or in a Polytheistic way?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I am Polytheistic. In layman's terms, I believe that each Deity is a different Being, rather than just one facet of one massive Being. I also worship more than one Deity, although I worship Them for different reasons and I worship some of Them on different levels than I do Others.

My Polytheism was inevitable, yet it took me a while to get comfortable with. My former faith was under that of a jealous God. Some close spiritual friends eventually convinced me that other Deities did not have that jealousy though. I can love Anubis with every bit of my being, yet honor a ritual in Bastet's honor without Bastet being jealous of my love for Anubis or Anubis being jealous that I am honoring Bastet. It still makes me think at times, but I have become pretty comfortable with it, because I have come to understand that that is just the way it is.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
How dis/similar is Ma'at to the Tao? ETA: 'Cause every time you expound on it, I find myself thinking "how Taoist."

Rainbow Mage

Fairly similar Storm. It's the closest concept we know to Ma'at outside of Kemet, as I stated. However, there probably are differences. For one, I don't think Taoists necessarily see the Tao as having any divine elements, wheras Kemeticism is theistic. Another difference is that we view Ma'at is a sort of karmic concept, where if you deviate from it, you'll recieve karmic retribution. While Taoists do indeed believe deviating from the Tao causes bad results, I haven't seen that Taoism believes in karma as an absolute. Karma is sort of a Indian idea.

Rainbow Mage

I know eo has "favorite" deities. Do you? If so, who?

Well I wouldn't call it favorite deities as much as I would deities I'm supposed to devote myself too. In Kemetic Orthodoxy we've reconstructed an ancient rite that the kings and priests used to undergo, it wasn't for the common man back then, which we call the rite of parental divination. This rite reveals who the parent of your ba is, and your beloved which created your ka. In the ancient world the kings, priests, and sages took names reflecting the spirit parent, examples: Amunhotep, Ptah-hotep, Tutenk'amen, etc. Well after you take the RPD, if you elect to become a Shemsu (a full member of KO), you are given a Kemetic name. My Kemetic name is Senedjem-Sekhmet, and my shemsu vows I vowed to serve Sekhmet-Mut my mother, and Heru-sa-Aset my beloved.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well I wouldn't call it favorite deities as much as I would deities I'm supposed to devote myself too. In Kemetic Orthodoxy we've reconstructed an ancient rite that the kings and priests used to undergo, it wasn't for the common man back then, which we call the rite of parental divination. This rite reveals who the parent of your ba is, and your beloved which created your ka. In the ancient world the kings, priests, and sages took names reflecting the spirit parent, examples: Amunhotep, Ptah-hotep, Tutenk'amen, etc. Well after you take the RPD, if you elect to become a Shemsu (a full member of KO), you are given a Kemetic name. My Kemetic name is Senedjem-Sekhmet, and my shemsu vows I vowed to serve Sekhmet-Mut my mother, and Heru-sa-Aset my beloved.
Well, I did put it in quotes for a reason. ;)

Anyway, this is pretty cool. Can you tell me more about the ritual? Are there any others in the pantheon you feel a special connection to?

Rainbow Mage

Well, I did put it in quotes for a reason. ;)

Anyway, this is pretty cool. Can you tell me more about the ritual? Are there any others in the pantheon you feel a special connection to?

Well the ritual is basically done like it was for the ancients, except that the common man didn't recieve such a name back then. They did recieve root names though, based on whatever month they were born in. The rite is performed by the Nisut, which is exactly how it was done in the ancient world. Recieving a name related to your god was an honor conferred by the Nisut/Pharoah. The Nisuts all had one. Our Nisut also gives us our name and reveals our parent. This is priviledge not everyone recieved in ancient times.

As for do I honor any others on my pantheon, yes- Djehuty (Thoth), Set, Wepwawet-Yinepu (Anubis), Aset (Isis), Wesir (Osiris), Hethert (Hathor), and Khonsu.