• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Karen" or "Becky" are not sexist or racist nor are the equivalent to any racial pejoratives

Status
Not open for further replies.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You mentioned (which is not a part of this thread) about the disproportinate attacks of blacks against whites shall I remind you?

This has nothing to do with this thread

No. There is no similarity. True some women, in general, can falsely play the victim and use their victimhood and weaponize it to antagonize people. But the basis of this thread is to address not only the Wikipedia definition, but also the general understanding of the term. There are countless videos of some white women using the police to use as personal bodyguards. The main point is, is that the whole issue with Karens stems from historicl privilege. As I mentioned earlier authorities have been more likely to blame the cries and whims of white women than people of color. People have died behind it. People haven't died behind Latisha. In fact because a lot of African-Americans mistrust the legal system to protect them you'll hardly find any evidence of a historical foundation of black women using the police the way Karens have. I suggest you watch the following video:
Spare us videos. I won't waste my time finding a video of a Latisha acting like a raving madwoman claiming discrimination.

You're missing the main point. You think it is OK to use derogatory terms only against whites. God forbid if we created a personal name with a negative connotation for a certain type of black behavior.

I think most people are above that type of name calling but apparently you are not at that level of maturity yet. Sad if you got to live there. I don't know why you put yourself through threads like this?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
What is the origin of the word Karen?

A more pointed explanation, which involves race, is the expression originates among Black people to refer to unreasonable white women. The term was popularized on Black Twitter as a meme used to describe white women who "tattle on Black kids' lemonade stands" or who unleash the "violent history of White womanhood".

Karen (slang) - Wikipedia

I already addressed this, in the beginning, you late see the following video:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Spare us videos.

Because you have no argument.

You think it is OK to use derogatory terms only against whites.

My argument is that it is not racially nor sexually pejorative historically, comparable to racial or sexist epithets that have been used against people of color. The only thing "Karen" or "Ken" may offend are the very people who are named Karen and Ken.

God forbid if we created a personal name with a negative connotation for a certain type of black behavior.

Racist whites have done that already so you're too late. They've come up with names, antagonize black hairstyles, clothing, you name it we've been through it.

I think most people are above that type of name calling but apparently you are not at that level of maturity yet. Sad if you got to live there. I don't know why you put yourself through threads like this?

Like I said you're very special and quite lazy at following the thread. You're boring me now with your inability to substantiate your argument. You're giving me your opinion fine but substantiate your claim.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Because you have no argument.

My argument is that it is not racially nor sexually pejorative historically, comparable to racial or sexist epithets that have been used against people of color. The only thing "Karen" or "Ken" may offend are the very people who are named Karen and Ken.

Racist whites have done that already so you're too late. They've come up with names, antagonize black hairstyles, clothing, you name it we've been through it.

Like I said you're very special and quite lazy at following the thread. You're boring me now with your inability to substantiate your argument. You're giving me your opinion fine but substantiate your claim.
So no examples of comparable approved derogatory terms for any type of black behavior. I’ve asked three times now.

The hypocrisy seems to be obvious.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Can anyone argue against this?

“If we’re thinking about this in a historical context where white women are given the power over Black men, that their word will be valued over a Black man, that makes it particularly dangerous and that’s the problem,” says Dr. Apryl Williams, an assistant professor in communications and media at the University of Michigan and a Fellow at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard who focuses on race, gender and community in digital spaces.

“White women are positioned as the virtue of society because they hold that position as the mother, as the keepers of virtuosity, all these ideologies that we associate with white motherhood and white women in particular, their certain role in society gives them power and when you couple that with this racist history, where white women are afraid of black men and black men are hypersexualized and seen as dangerous, then that’s really a volatile combination.”

How the Karen Meme Confronts History of White Womanhood

George-ananda

Premium Member

“If we’re thinking about this in a historical context where white women are given the power over Black men, that their word will be valued over a Black man, that makes it particularly dangerous and that’s the problem,” says Dr. Apryl Williams, an assistant professor in communications and media at the University of Michigan and a Fellow at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard who focuses on race, gender and community in digital spaces.

“White women are positioned as the virtue of society because they hold that position as the mother, as the keepers of virtuosity, all these ideologies that we associate with white motherhood and white women in particular, their certain role in society gives them power and when you couple that with this racist history, where white women are afraid of black men and black men are hypersexualized and seen as dangerous, then that’s really a volatile combination.”

What century are these people stuck in?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can help.
It appears that you want to inform about how some
whites, especially women, behave badly towards blacks.
But your thread title makes a racist & sexist claim that
demands being addressed. You sabotaged yourself.
I suggest starting over with a new thread with a clear
theme.
And I have great news! I'll be away thru Monday,
& not posting much or at all.

We Never Know

No Slack

Don't forget while you are comparing, that black men were giving the right to vote(1870) before white women(1920).

We Never Know

No Slack

IMG_20210714_225447.jpg

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Nice but totally irrelevant to the point. I get it that the Karenisms don't affect people here because you may not walk in the shoes of those who are affected. But alas, my point and defense still stand. The problem with sites like this is the people who love to talk about redundancy, but when we talk about sensitive issues people are often hesitant to look in the mirror. Race or racism is not the only subject I talk about because I have a repritoire of other topics I can bring. I just notice the immediate pushback of deflection of whataboutisms that goes on here. Cool to talk about the existence of God, the non-existence of God, why did God do this and not that? Why is the Taliban so merciless? Why this, or why that? Blah blahh blah. The moment I bring up subjects like this "but, but, but, but, what about black people?" A bunch of grown people can't have a simple dialogue about a real-world issue. This whole thread is about challenging the Wikipedia notion that the term Karen or Becky are neither sexist nor racist. I gave the historical account as to why the term exists and where it stems from. I submitted videos. So far nobody can challenge this notion because some of you know it is true. The others simply want to make an issue out of something that they themselves cannot even defend. SMH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.