• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Sharing Some of God's Word

Rational Agnostic

What is the lesson that you're trying to derive from these verses though? You left that part out.

All of the Holy Scriptures are profitable and directly from the breath of God, yes? I trust the readers will be able to find their own valuable lessons from today's reading of the Word of the Lord. :laughing:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No as with any adult content a child comes across you have to tone it down a bit for them. Unfortunately some people never grow out of this child like understanding of the Bible.

But its better than ruining their childhood trying to explain why some popular figures Sampson, Saul, David, Paul, amongst many other revered figures were flawed men. And being flawed men that still served God is a powerful message because it goes against the holier than though attitude a lot if folks have unfortunately.
Having bears maul kids to death for calling someone baldy is beyond flawed. The king getting to have hundreds of wives and concubines is beyond flawed. Putting children to death is beyond flawed. I can go on.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
We should never water down the Holy Scriptures. Skipping certain parts of the Word of God in Sunday School is a sin. :tearsofjoy:

No, teaching 5 year olds about sex is a sin.

But hey if you want to do it go ahead. Just don't be surprised when he cops come knocking.;)

Enoch07

Premium Member
Having bears maul kids to death for calling someone baldy is beyond flawed. The king getting to have hundreds of wives and concubines is beyond flawed. Putting children to death is beyond flawed. I can go on.

Life tends to be flawed and not as fairy tale perfect as a fictional story.

Tumah

Veteran Member
All of the Holy Scriptures are profitable and directly from the breath of God, yes? I trust the readers will be able to find their own valuable lessons from today's reading of the Word of the Lord. :laughing:
I agree with the first statement, but I could find no lessons that may be derived from that particular collection of verses.
Perhaps you had something in mind?

Tumah

Veteran Member
The intent of the author was to convey he was giving her an orgasm. "my heart was pounding for him" just doesn't convey that
With a dirty mind like that, no wonder some people can't get passed the Song of Songs.

Jer. 31:19 uses the same exact pharse to describe G-d's feeling towards His son Ephraim. Do you also suggest the visual here is of a man having an orgasm from thinking about his dear son?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Life tends to be flawed and not as fairy tale perfect as a fictional story.
That is no reason to justify or excuse slavery, sex slavery, genocide, infanticide, misogyny, child abuse, rape, deception, and even animal abuse. Those things are beyond the mere flaws and faults that come with being human.

Enoch07

Premium Member
That is no reason to justify or excuse slavery, sex slavery, genocide, infanticide, misogyny, child abuse, rape, deception, and even animal abuse. Those things are beyond the mere flaws and faults that come with being human.

The ancient world was a brutal place. It's a false equivalency to compare it to our modern civilized world.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The ancient world was a brutal place. It's a false equivalency to compare it to our modern civilized world.
Its not a false equivalency, it provides a measurement of moral, ethical, and humanitarian progress. And we have come a very long way since then, and everyone is for the better now that most of the world allows religious freedom and have no penalties for apostasy. This, compared to the Biblically-mandated penalty of death. Yes, we have come so very far and indeed what the Bible promotes as righteous and just is far beyond flawed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is the dirty mind that can't or will not accept that the Song of Songs is about erotic love.
Yes. Do keep telling a Jew what his book actually means. I LOVE these debates. Such a sweet dessert of schadenfruede to see people humiliated because they think their Gentile self knows more about Judaism than the Jews.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Its not a false equivalency, it provides a measurement of moral, ethical, and humanitarian progress.

Indeed

And we have come a very long way since then, and everyone is for the better now that most of the world allows religious freedom and have no penalties for apostasy.

Took the words right out my mouth.

Yes, we have come so very far and indeed what the Bible promotes as righteous and just is far beyond flawed.

The case could be made we wouldn't have made it this far as a civilized society without Judeo-Christian beliefs. But that's an entirely different argument.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Yes. Do keep telling a Jew what his book actually means. I LOVE these debates. Such a sweet dessert of schadenfruede to see people humiliated because they think their Gentile self knows more about Judaism than the Jews.
Ethnicity has nothing to do with whether one's interpretation of literature is wrong or not. Just because a person is Irish doesn't mean they are going to understand James Joyce. Just because I am not a bat doesn't mean I can't understand Batman.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ethnicity has nothing to do with whether one's interpretation of literature is wrong or not. Just because a person is Irish doesn't mean they are going to understand James Joyce. Just because I am not a bat doesn't mean I can't understand Batman.
He's a religious Jew, so it does tend to make a very big difference because non-Jews tend to not get things, especially if coming from a Christian or Muslim perspective, and, yes, it is someone who isn't Jewish telling a Jew what their book means. They tend to have a cultural understanding that lets them understand it in ways that gentiles cant.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
He's a religious Jew, so it does tend to make a very big difference because non-Jews tend to not get things, especially if coming from a Christian or Muslim perspective, and, yes, it is someone who isn't Jewish telling a Jew what their book means. They tend to have a cultural understanding that lets them understand it in ways that gentiles cant.
Song of Songs is not even Jewish. It is Mesopotamian love poetry. It has the same exact plot of the story of Inanna and Dumuzi, shepherd boy falls for a shepherd girl, they make love, she is worried that her mother will find out, they depart, she returns home and her mother tell her that the= king as called for her and they are to wed! She is distraught because she no longer a virgin and she is in love with the shepherd boy, she enters the king's chambers to except her fate and finds out to her surprise...the shepherd boy was really the king!

Same exact plot. So whose literature is it now? It is world literature and anyone can interpret it anyway they want. Saying that it belongs only to the Jews is like saying only African-Americans can understand soul music.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
It is Mesopotamian love poetry. It has the same exact plot of the story of Inanna and Dumuzi, shepherd boy falls for a shepherd girl, they make love

Strictly for ... ahem ... academic purposes I looked up Inanna and Dumuzi. This is the text I found.

hyperlink >>> The Courtship of Inanna and Dumuzi

Most Honorable Reverend Bob: Is this translation naughty accurate enough for comparison to the Song of Songs?

Tumah

Veteran Member
It is the dirty mind that can't or will not accept that the Song of Songs is about erotic love.
It's about romantic love and I have no problem with that. Actually, in my synagogue, the kids read it every Friday night - and I live in Israel where everyone speaks Hebrew.

But when you translate an expression for 'longing' as 'orgasm', you're making it into something it is not. And I can only wonder where that's coming from.