• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just another liberal Catholic introducing herself here...

Whateverist

Welcome MarchDaff's from one newbie to another. I for one am not married to a jew, though I admit having been attracted to quite a few in my youth. I like their general level of moxie is probably the best way of explaining why. Interesting how jewish males have a category for mensches but other than those I find jewish men to be more in touch with their feeling than the rest of us, and that too I find attractive .. just not in that way. Not that there would be anything wrong with that. Oy vey.

I was taken to methodist church before starting school but then left to figure it all out. I figure my way right out of belief before finishing grade school, though I can remember feeling like atheists were the worst ingrates on earth. I still find religion interesting and think the question of why it has been everywhere and everywhen people have been is compelling. (I just don't think the answer is that there is any kind of out-there god hiding from us.) Anyhow I'm married to an atheist who doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

Nice to cyber meet you.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Nope, he wasn't. So judging by the sample population of this thread, 75% of people in the world are married to Jews. 25% are Jewish themselves.

HE was not? Ok. i wonder who the first jew was and how he qualified as such. But I admit my ignorance in this area. Maybe I am a jew, too. How would I know?

Otherwise, these figures can only be explained under the premise of polygamy. Which seems to be a bit far fetched, though.

Ciao

- viole

Tumah

Veteran Member
HE was not? Ok. i wonder who the first jew was and how he qualified as such. But I admit my ignorance in this area. Maybe I am a jew, too. How would I know?

Otherwise, these figures can only be explained under the premise of polygamy. Which seems to be a bit far fetched, though.

Ciao

- viole
There is some argument, but for the most part, technically the first Jew to have the status of "Jew" was the entire nation at Mt. Sinai at the same time.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
There is some argument, but for the most part, technically the first Jew to have the status of "Jew" was the entire nation at Mt. Sinai at the same time.

And what time was that?

To be honest with you, I would love to be a jew. All my favorite people are jews, and I would hate to make an exception with the respect I have for myself. Do I have a chance? How would I know?

Ciao

- fiole

Demonslayer

Forgive me for being flip about that - here of all places!

I didn't consider it flip at all actually.

I didn't know at the time, the politics of it all but some of "my" priests were "sanctioned" and I didn't know why and later it came out it was for standing up to the Bishops/Rome against the powerful and for the people predated upon.

Wow, talk about a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the RCC. The ones who wanted to stand up for the molested children were punished, and the ones who wanted to keep it all covered up were rewarded.

I mean seriously, and then they want to talk about morality. WWJD?

I can only imagine how your mom feels, I always knew growing up, to have it sprung on you late in life must have been terrible. But she's got a whole lot of character - most people just denied it or put it out of their heads, what does she do? If I may inquire.

She was devastated, the Church was a huge part of her life. When you say what does she do, do you mean for a living? She's 70 now so retired. Plays a lot of golf. :)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The food is to die for.

Well, one of my favorites, R. Feynman, was a jew. i believe he was not so dogmatic about food. Yet, that did not prevent him from being jew, I think.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
And what time was that?
About 24:48 am (no really. I think that's 1312 BCE)

To be honest with you, I would love to be a jew. All my favorite people are jews, and I would hate to make an exception with the respect I have for myself. Do I have a chance? How would I know?

Ciao

- fiole
Lol. Check your mother's mother. If she has a big nose and pinched her pennies you're in.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Today, you get to join us for....
th

The food is to die for.
You can do the dying.
I'll do the eating.

MarchDaffodils

I didn't consider it flip at all actually.

Wow, talk about a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the RCC. The ones who wanted to stand up for the molested children were punished, and the ones who wanted to keep it all covered up were rewarded.

I mean seriously, and then they want to talk about morality. WWJD?

She was devastated, the Church was a huge part of her life. When you say what does she do, do you mean for a living? She's 70 now so retired. Plays a lot of golf. :)
Oh when I asked about your mom, about what she does - the church was such a big part of her life, I was asking did she leave it? Does she practice... anything anymore? I'm sorry she lost something so important to her.

And talk about a tonal shift! Yep it's me, the joker from the chat room... I hope that will be a good thing

Demonslayer

Oh when I asked about your mom, about what she does - the church was such a big part of her life, I was asking did she leave it? Does she practice... anything anymore?

Ah ha, I see. Yes she left the church, in that she doesn't attend services anymore, and no longer donates any money to the church. She still prays on her own and considers herself a practicing Catholic. She just doesn't support the actual RCC.

I'm sorry she lost something so important to her.

Well, it's not really your fault. :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
And what time was that?

Ciao
This hurts my feelings!

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
It would have been funnier if you would have left out all the spaces and then did a *gasp* at the end.

I like the funny colours Brick turns when they do that.

So I guess the title of this post says it all, Hello everybody! As you can see from above I am what I would call a liberal Roman Catholic (think of Stephen Colbert - he's probably our most famous example not directly connected to the church).

I'm here because I love talking to other Catholics and people of other faiths & think I might even be of use sometimes, at least I hope so. I suppose I am really here because my curiosity about the way I and other people think is evergreen.

Oh and just to clarify, my identification as a "liberal" Roman Catholic, anyone who has had even a passing familiarity with religions knows that there is a rainbow of temperaments, schools of thought, etc therein and just to be accurate, I chose to append my religious identification with where abouts on that rainbow I sit - I'm very focused on social justice, environmental and economic. I was "raised by" some extremely brilliant, committed and compassionate Jesuit priests not to mention various nuns and sister of different orders as well - without going too deeply into it, these people put themselves in harm's way in Central and South America.

As a young woman I spent some time in the "wilderness" of doubt - testing my beliefs and not believing for a long time, mostly I think I was just not thinking on that part of life much. However I've recently, kind of out of nowhere, had my faith restored. I essentially just realized that I am a Catholic, in my heart, morally. I have issues with the church but I dare you to show me a Catholic or any other person religious or not who has no disagreements with their creed ;)

Also of possible interest to others, my marriage is an interfaith one and we are both happy. I have a husband who I've been happily together with for 19 years. (OMG! Despite being with him very young that number makes me feel so old!) My husband is Jewish, but was not raised religiously - he always describes himself as Jewish culturally, but spiritually wavers from agnostic to atheist to just indifferent. I feel very lucky to have him.

Anyway, I look forward to making friends of all faiths here, learning a lot and as I said I hope I will be an asset to this community.

Welcome to the forum!! :)

MarchDaffodils

Liberal!? We'll have to see what we can do about that.
Kidding :p

Welcome to RF:D
I like the cut of this one's jib! Thank you for the welcome!

Now you've got me thinking... I think I would certainly be considered "liberal" when compared to what most people think of when they hear Catholic - but what they think is usually a cartoon and someone who is hostile to victims of abuse by the clergy & that I cannot have. Lately I realize that I do not know what I would be considered politically and I find myself having to take the long way 'round explicitly stating exactly what I believe in much more concrete ways than I had to before.

We'll have to see what we can do about that.
Oh, by all means! We're in a great state of flux these days, certainly politically and I believe that is where the best conversations will be so by all means, more talk! I'd love to hear it! We are living in strange times and I've talked to many people who see me as anything but liberal, more like a kind of.. chimera. I might be exactly who you think I am, but I might surprise you - but the journey sounds fun!

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Hari Hari MarchDafodils! Welcome to the forum! :D Interesting conversation in this thread...

MarchDaffodils

Hey there, I'm only half a Scot, but I am a citizen - my Dad was 100% Scot, we were, or are, rather, some of the last Roman Catholic Scots in Scotland after the clearances, and we made it all the way south to Dundee! My father left for America in 1963.

Hari Hari MarchDafodils! Welcome to the forum! :D Interesting conversation in this thread...
I take it as a sign of auspicious beginnings! :seedling: