• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judeo-Christian...say what?

Akivah

Where did this term come from? And why? It is such a widespread term and yet it has no rational meaning. Judaism and Christianity are nearly diametrically opposite religions. It confounds me when people use this term "Judeo-Christian" to lump our two religions together as if we believed almost the same things. And when it is used, it is always used to describe Christian beliefs. For example, I just saw on another thread where a poster was talking about Satan and wrote "...this Judeo-Christian personification of evil..." Well, it's not for us. Satan is just one of G-d's angels and is unable to take independent action.

The list of our opposing differences just goes on and on. We are opposite on Sin, opposite on the attributes of G-d, opposite on atonement, opposite on actions, opposite on the afterlife, etc. How can we go about getting this 'Judeo-Christian' term expunged?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The present meaning of "Judeo-Christian" regarding ethics first appeared in print on July 27, 1939, with the phrase "the Judaeo-Christian scheme of morals" in the New English Weekly. The term gained much currency in the 1940s, promoted by groups which evolved into the National Conference of Christians and Jews, to fight antisemitism by expressing a more inclusive idea of American values rather than just Christian or Protestant. By 1952 Dwight Eisenhower looked to the Founding Fathers of 1776 to say:
"all men are endowed by their Creator." In other words, our form of government has no sense unless it is founded in a deeply felt religious faith, and I don't care what it is. With us of course it is the Judeo-Christian concept, but it must be a religion with all men created equal.​
[source]
The map is not the territory and misuse of a term hardly constitutes sufficient reason for rejection. That said, I prefer 'Abrahamic' so as not to exclude the followers of Islam.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Where did this term come from? And why? It is such a widespread term and yet it has no rational meaning. Judaism and Christianity are nearly diametrically opposite religions. It confounds me when people use this term "Judeo-Christian" to lump our two religions together as if we believed almost the same things. And when it is used, it is always used to describe Christian beliefs. For example, I just saw on another thread where a poster was talking about Satan and wrote "...this Judeo-Christian personification of evil..." Well, it's not for us. Satan is just one of G-d's angels and is unable to take independent action.

The list of our opposing differences just goes on and on. We are opposite on Sin, opposite on the attributes of G-d, opposite on atonement, opposite on actions, opposite on the afterlife, etc. How can we go about getting this 'Judeo-Christian' term expunged?
I use the term Judeo-Christian in various contexts. Either to refer to modern 'Judeo-Christian society', or western social environment with values with historical baggage in Judaism and Christianity. It's more of a secular term in this case, and less aimed to address religious dogma. Another case may be to discuss Jewish Christian existence in antiquity in a time which Christianity was a sect of Biblical Judaism before the growing rift with Rabbinical Judaism (opened up a can of worms right there, haven't I?).

The term is used in various political circumstances, and therefore may lose objectivity and be misused by generalization and common ignorance.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Another case may be to discuss Jewish Christian existence in antiquity in a time which Christianity was a sect of Biblical Judaism before the growing rift with Rabbinical Judaism (opened up a can of worms right there, haven't I?).
I'm not sure that I have ever seen it used in that way.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm sure you're right, but it still strikes me as strange and I'd be interested in seeing it in context.
It is strange, at least in my mind. Just to make my first post clearer, I occasionally (rarely actually) use the term Judeo-Christian in its modern sense, but I don't use the term when discussing antiquity, although it is in use in such a way, but not often.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I agree for the most part. While I'm sure there are some instances where it is valid and appropriate, most often it seems to be used in an attempt to link Judaism and Christianity in an unnatural way.

But I doubt the term itself is going anywhere; about the only thing to do is to look at how the term is being used, and if it is wrong provide the correct information. It seems like many people, particularly on the internet, are from Christian-dominated societies and have no clue what Judaism actually teaches.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I agree for the most part. While I'm sure there are some instances where it is valid and appropriate, most often it seems to be used in an attempt to link Judaism and Christianity in an unnatural way. [emphasis added - JS]
Would you mind substantiating this?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
While I'm sure there are some instances where it is valid and appropriate, most often it seems to be used in an attempt to link Judaism and Christianity in an unnatural way.
Would you mind substantiating this?
Considering it is nothing more than my general observation, doing so would be impossible.
Still, I'd like to better understand what you're saying. Perhaps you could do a forum search on Judeo-Christian and offer three or four examples.

CMike

I too think judaism and christianity have things in common. Many of the same values are the same.

For example, Pres. Bush signed a resolution passed by congress, that said that the 7 laws given to Noach are the foundation of western civilization.

I do agree with the term judeo-christian values and/or beliefs.

Akivah

Sorry Jayhawk, I don't remember where I saw it exactly. However, as it was the catalyst for making this thread, you'll have to take my word for it.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I tend to think that's the properness of its usage largely depends on the context.

Flankerl

Its a horrible term born in the USA with the idea to bring judaism into christianity.

I hate it.

Dena

Like Tarheelers says, many Christian do think Jews and Christians believe almost the same thing. I've had Christians downright shocked at the things I tell them and it's not because I'm super liberal, I'm giving them the normal, traditional views. They have no clue. Honestly, they think it's just like Christianity without Jesus so it's not surprise that they would use the term.