• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judeo-Christian...say what?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hi Metis, I agree that we cannot really be sure of the existence of G-d, and in that sense calling me agnostic is reasonable. However, I prefer to consider myself a theist, as my "religion" description suggests, a liberal Jew. This is because I believe in a non-anthropomorphic G-d, as I mentioned, a G-d which is essentially the entire universe, plus spirit.

And, in some respects, the atheistic position can be argued quite effectively, as well.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry I didn't bat a thousand when I referred to where I thought you were coming from.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Thanks for the clarification, and sorry I didn't bat a thousand when I referred to where I thought you were coming from.

No worries, Metis, I can certainly relate to agnosticism, so you were not far off.

However, for me, I think a more important issue, and perhaps more interesting relates not to G-d as much as the revelation. I find it very hard to believe that G-d participated in the giving of Torah, except in an inspirational or metaphoric manner. So again, more than an agnostic, I think this aligns my beliefs with reform Judaism.

Also, as my "title" mentions, I identify strongly as a reformer. I believe almost nothing remains static, and our ideas must change as time progresses. So I identify with reform in all areas of Judaism.

metis

No worries, Metis, I can certainly relate to agnosticism, so you were not far off.

However, for me, I think a more important issue, and perhaps more interesting relates not to G-d as much as the revelation. I find it very hard to believe that G-d participated in the giving of Torah, except in an inspirational or metaphoric manner. So again, more than an agnostic, I think this aligns my beliefs with reform Judaism.

Also, as my "title" mentions, I identify strongly as a reformer. I believe almost nothing remains static, and our ideas must change as time progresses. So I identify with reform in all areas of Judaism.

Thanks again for the clarification, and I can relate to what you wrote above. By chance did you ever read Rabbi Nelson's "Judaism, Physics, and God", which I believe is a very thought-provoking book.

Shalom

Avi1001

Thanks again for the clarification, and I can relate to what you wrote above. By chance did you ever read Rabbi Nelson's "Judaism, Physics, and God", which I believe is a very thought-provoking book.

Shalom

I have not read R. Nelson's book, but I have read a little about it, and I like what I have read. New metaphors for G-d make sense to me and the Big Bang as metaphor makes sense as well. I would be interested to hear more of your thoughts about the book. I will add it to my list of "books to read", although unfortunately, that does not mean it will happen soon...very busy these days. Thanks for the suggestion :).

metis

I have not read R. Nelson's book, but I have read a little about it, and I like what I have read. New metaphors for G-d make sense to me and the Big Bang as metaphor makes sense as well. I would be interested to hear more of your thoughts about the book. I will add it to my list of "books to read", although unfortunately, that does not mean it will happen soon...very busy these days. Thanks for the suggestion :).

You're welcome, and a Shabbat shalom to you and all here.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Hi Metis, I agree that we cannot really be sure of the existence of G-d, and in that sense calling me agnostic is reasonable. However, I prefer to consider myself a theist, as my "religion" description suggests, a liberal Jew. This is because I believe in a non-anthropomorphic G-d, as I mentioned, a G-d which is essentially the entire universe, plus spirit.

And, in some respects, the atheistic position can be argued quite effectively, as well.

As a panentheist myself, I fail to see how it is you would say that you don't think Torah comes from God. After all, from a panentheistic perspective not only does Torah come from God, it is inextricably part of what God is.

Avi1001

As a panentheist myself, I fail to see how it is you would say that you don't think Torah comes from God. After all, from a panentheistic perspective not only does Torah come from God, it is inextricably part of what God is.

Hi The Knight, I expect you and I might have some interesting discussion about this. What I said was: "Torah does not come from G-d, except perhaps in an inspirational or metaphorical sense". In fact, I agree, from a panentheistic perspective, G-d is everything. However, I believe the description that Torah is G-d inspired, is a better description of where Torah came from, and that in a non-anthropomorphic sense, the Torah was not literally given by G-d.

I believe that Torah was written by man for man. Would you like to provide your perspective ?

By the way, do you associate with any of the Jewish denominations ?

Last edited: