• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith's Bible version

gnostic

The Lost One
I didn't realise that the Mormons have their own version of the bible, by Joseph Smith.

I take it is not exactly the same as the ones used by other Christians? In what way or how do they differ? :confused:

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
gnostic said:
I didn't realise that the Mormons have their own version of the bible, by Joseph Smith.

I take it is not exactly the same as the ones used by other Christians? In what way or how do they differ? :confused:
The Catholic Bible is also different than the bible used by Baptist.

gnostic

The Lost One
Oops! This thread wasn't meant to be in the debate forum. :slap: Oh well. What's done is done.

EnhancedSpirit said:
The Catholic Bible is also different than the bible used by Baptist.

But how do they differ?

Different translation? Adaptation of KJV? A complete rewrite?

Though, I have not seen or read JS's bible, I assuming is more of adaptation or altered edition (redaction), then a new translation. Am I correct?

PHOTOTAKER

the lds bible is the same; except that the foot notes include the inspired verstion (by joseph smith) of revolutions to complete the passage of scripter. there are several resigns for this one of my favorites is scribes (or monks) not coping the bible properly, they leave out certain things or even correct passages that should not have been... but if you read out bible without look at the footnotes you will not be able to tell the difference between the two...

PHOTOTAKER

and also there are many bibles that are differnt from each other, right now there is a big debate in other religtions to add to the bible's cannon some say its closed but there is no place in the bible or text that support this claim around 600 ad...

MM21

Do the Mormons also take it as the Christians take the Bible, as the authorative inspired word of God? No errors..etc???

Bishka

Veteran Member
LDS Bible is basically the same with a few changes here or there. They actually do not show up in the text but in footnotes at the bottom of the page or in the index.

When you read it, it'll be just like any other KJV you've read.

BruceDLimber

beckysoup61 said:
LDS Bible is basically the same with a few changes here or there. They actually do not show up in the text.... When you read it, it'll be just like any other KJV you've read.

FALSE!!!

For one thing, they bowderize the Song of Solomon, omitting it entirely.

Just the facts.

Bruce

SoyLeche

meh...
BruceDLimber said:
FALSE!!!

Just the facts.

Bruce
What are you talking about? First of all, I don't think there is a word "bowderize" - or at least dictionary.com isn't finding it. Second, I've got an LDS edition of the KJV right here, and Song of Solomon is there, word for word like any other KJV. Please provide a reference for whatever it is you are talking about.

dan

I have just helped a professor at BYU with a CD ROM version of the JST translation. It has all the original manuscripts and everything. I believe I can help some of you understand a little better what is going on.

Joseph Smith knew for a long time that there were errors in the Bible, just like any serious student of it. We believe he was authorized by the Lord to begin an inspired version. Over the course of about five years he worked off and on going over the Bible and making corrections and additions where he felt inspired to do so. Many people froth at the mouth at the thought of that, but no real Bible scholar accepts that the Bible is complete and untainted.

These manuscripts, written by several different scribes, were kept by the Prophet's wife after his death. This means the RLDS church got a hold of it. They edited it and produced there own version of the Bible from it, called The Holy Scriptures: Inspired Version. You can find one of those Bibles in some LDS book stores.

Since the LDS church didn't have copyright authorization and since the manuscript was never fully completed, we don't use that version as our official BIble, but we do add most of the revisions in the footnotes of our version of the KJV, and the larger bodies of revisions are what make up the book of Moses and the JST Matthew, which is found at the end of one of our copies ofthe Bible.

The Prophet did note (and I have a photocopy of the original manuscript with this written on it) that the Song of Solomon was not inspired scripture. Some get testy with this, but many Jews these days admit the same thing. I attended Passover two months ago at a progressive synagogue in Utah. Their Rabbi is a lesbian, if that helps to indicate their level of "progressiveness." I enjoyed the service and hearing good Hebrew, but even they feel the "Song of Songs" is just a later addition made by an unauthorized scribe.

jonny

BruceDLimber said:
FALSE!!!

Just the facts.

Bruce

I'd check your facts next time. The Song of Solomon is in our Old Testament. The footnote does have the following note: The JST Manuscript states that 'The Songs of Solomon are not inspiried writings.'

Just the facts. :D

jonny

gnostic said:

The JST is only used in English speaking countries. In countries where English is not a primary language the members of the church use translations of the Bible that are commonly used in other churches. In Germany we used the Einheitsuebersetzung.

Like has already been said, our version of the Bible is really the King James Version. Most of the JST has never been cannonized for whatever reason. Probably part of it is that the church doesn't want to have to start translating it into hundreds of languages. Then there is the fact that the manuscripts were out of the control of the LDS church for quite a long period of time. Also, it sounds like there are copyright issues involved also.

If I'm not mistaken, the RLDS (now called the Community of Christ) has cannonized the JST and uses it as their primary bible.

Bishka

Veteran Member
BruceDLimber said:
FALSE!!!

Just the facts.

Bruce

Like others have said, check your references Bruce, it's in there along with everything else. Please don't call my statements false, when in fact, I am a member of the LDS Church and I do know what I am talking about.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
BruceDLimber said:
FALSE!!!

Just the facts.

Bruce
What "facts"? The ones you manufactured? Bruce, I'm surprised at you.

And what in the world does it mean to bowderize something. I consider my vocabulary to be above average, and I've never heard that word before.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
gnostic said:
I see.

Do Mormons read the NT Apocrypha? I assuming that you don't since you follow the KJV.
Hi, gnostic.

Since the Apocrypha is not part of the KJV, we don't accept it as doctrinally binding. However, according to Joseph Smith, the Apocrypha contains both truth and error but was "mostly translated correctly." He states that anyone who was to read the Apocrypha with the Holy Spirit as a guide "shall obtain benefit therefrom."

SoyLeche

meh...
jonny said:
The JST is only used in English speaking countries. In countries where English is not a primary language the members of the church use translations of the Bible that are commonly used in other churches. In Germany we used the Einheitsuebersetzung.

Like has already been said, our version of the Bible is really the King James Version. Most of the JST has never been cannonized for whatever reason. Probably part of it is that the church doesn't want to have to start translating it into hundreds of languages. Then there is the fact that the manuscripts were out of the control of the LDS church for quite a long period of time. Also, it sounds like there are copyright issues involved also.

If I'm not mistaken, the RLDS (now called the Community of Christ) has cannonized the JST and uses it as their primary bible.
If I remember correctly, the Community of Christ owns the copyright to the "Inspired Version" of the Bible. I think the LDS church had to get permission to put the footnotes in.

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
Hi, gnostic.

Since the Apocrypha is not part of the KJV, we don't accept it as doctrinally binding. However, according to Joseph Smith, the Apocrypha contains both truth and error but was "mostly translated correctly." He states that anyone who was to read the Apocrypha with the Holy Spirit as a guide "shall obtain benefit therefrom."
Here's the section that Katz is referring to, in case you want to read it for yourself:

http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/91