• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith's Bible version

gnostic

The Lost One
Thank you. :)

Can I ask you a question?

This is also off-topic, but I am just curious. Did you come from LDS family, or did you convert on your own?

My sister had converted, but my brother-in-law came from LDS background.

Bishka

Veteran Member
gnostic said:
Thank you. :)

Can I ask you a question?

This is also off-topic, but I am just curious. Did you come from LDS family, or did you convert on your own?

My sister had converted, but my brother-in-law came from LDS background.

Both.

I came from an LDS background but began to question my upbringing in high school. I spent several years experiementing with different beliefs and ideas, but eventually I ended back up with what I felt was the truest.

gnostic

The Lost One
Thanks. :)

My sister was different. At the time, my mother didn't like any church people, and didn't want any of us to become Christians. My sister had to wait until after she was 18. My mother is more accepting now, but she was angry when my sis had first joined LDS.

Bishka

Veteran Member
gnostic said:
Thanks. :)

My sister was different. At the time, my mother didn't like any church people, and didn't want any of us to become Christians. My sister had to wait until after she was 18. My mother is more accepting now, but she was angry when my sis had first joined LDS.

Why was your mum mad? What was the basis for her getting mad at your sister? (Curious)

gnostic

The Lost One
She was old-fashioned and very superstitious (and still is), as well as Taoist-Buddhist.

I nearly join the LDS, but didn't share the belief that my sister had. Had I join, I would have been joining because of my sister, and not because I had faith, so in the end, I didn't get baptise. I was only a couple of hours from taking a dip. My sister and the elders were disappointed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
gnostic said:
Excuse me, but you are comparing oranges with lemons.
No I'm not!

Are you trying to tell me that the Israelites had dumped using Hebew alphabets, which had existed as early as the 10th century BC, which they had adopted/adapted from the Canaanite alphabets, to use something like Aramaic-Egyptian demotic, in a period before the Israelites had even adopted Aramaic?
I never said they "dumped using Hebrew alphabets." They probably continued to use the Hebrew alphabet for purposes other than recording their history. They used a modified Egyptian script for writing their history because it was a more consise written language than Hebrew.

Give me a break, Katzpur? Do serious expect me to take this one-off Papyrus Amherst 63 seriously, that happened to parallel to the Nephites in America?
Actually, I had expected you to take my evidence seriously. The fact that you didn't clearly indicates to me that it's pointless for me to continue this conversation.

You are just pushing for justification, without any serious evidence except the possible link. Sorry, but I want more than just Papyrus Amherst 63 to take this debate seriously.
Well, you won't be getting it from me. This is serious evidence that the Book of Mormon is not a unique example of Hebrew words being recorded in a foreign script. Your choice to throw it out is reason enough for me to not bother to discuss this any further. You wanted a break. I'm giving you one.