• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 3:16

Aqualung

Tasty
Want to start a one-on-one debate? With this type of thing I don't like to have to answer a billion people all attacking me at once...

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Aqualung said:
Want to start a one-on-one debate? With this type of thing I don't like to have to answer a billion people all attacking me at once...
can't you pm her with that?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Buttons* said:
Basically i'm asking if baptism is necissary for salvation.

main questions:
* Does one need to be baptized to attain salvation? (this is a newer question)
* Is there a cut-off age for children or people who aren't able to make a decision (like the mentally disabled)?
* What about baptizing babies? Does that save you? What if you die before baptism?
No. There is no magic in either the water or the words. Baptism is an outward sign of obedience on the candidate's part, and aonoutward sign of grace on God's part. The act of baptism is unnecessary for salvation. Therefore, since baptism basically exists for our benefit, there are advantages and disadvantages to both believer's baptism, and infant baptism. There would really be no benefit, other than to family members of the mentally infirm.

It's the sacrificial work of Christ on the cross that works salvation for us -- not our work of being baptized. Baptism is a ritual that heps us to focus on the grace we already know is present.