• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 3:16

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Never mind, I looked it up in a couple of other spots. I have to say that I forgot the passage about water being in there. Guess you're right. Sure looks as though one needs to be baptized by water. But, I think if someone were to accept Christ and then die before being baptized they would still go to heaven.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Buttercup said:
Never mind, I looked it up in a couple of other spots. I have to say that I forgot the passage about water being in there. Guess you're right. Sure looks as though one needs to be baptized by water. But, I think if someone were to accept Christ and then die before being baptized they would still go to heaven.
Got scripture?
(lmao, i'm so thinking "got milk?")

Aqualung

Tasty
Buttercup said:
Well, LDS have a different view of what happens to you right after they die. If you died without being baptised you would go to the "spirit prison" where you would wait for somebody do do your baptism for you. After all, this baptism for salvation thing is pretty much set in stone. jesus didn't give "ifs" with that one, ever. But, I think this is off topic. Then again, I didn't read the whole thread...

Squirt

Buttercup said:
So are you saying that (1) the Bible doesn't give a complete explanation of all the "extenuating circumstances," (2) you just don't accept it as inerrant, (3) it doesn't mean what it appears to be saying. (Just curious, since it does appear to be pretty straightforward. ;) )

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Buttons* said:
Got scripture?
(lmao, i'm so thinking "got milk?")
No kidding. I have read thru the bible probably at least 4 or 5 times in my life using the daily bible format where it's segregated into OT, Psalms, Proverbs & NT. But, I have never been good at memorizing scripture. I rememberd the 'spirit' part of the verse but the 'water' part escaped me.

I think baptism is more for a public proclamation of belonging to Christ. I certainly don't think you'd go to hell if you didn't get baptized. Let's say that one day you accept Christ into your life but the next baptism ceremony isn't for another month at your church. If you died during that time you would still go to heaven. Jesus would know you belonged to him. :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Squirt said:
So are you saying that (1) the Bible doesn't give a complete explanation of all the "extenuating circumstances," (2) you just don't accept it as inerrant, (3) it doesn't mean what it appears to be saying. (Just curious, since it does appear to be pretty straightforward. ;) )
We posted at the same time. Did I answer your question above though?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Aqualung said:
Then again, I didn't read the whole thread...

Basically i'm asking if baptism is necissary for salvation.

main questions:
* Does one need to be baptized to attain salvation? (this is a newer question)
* Is there a cut-off age for children or people who aren't able to make a decision (like the mentally disabled)?
* What about baptizing babies? Does that save you? What if you die before baptism?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Squirt, I'll save us some time here. If you are LDS, we won't agree on the "spirit prison' doctrine you guys teach. Where is that in the bible? I have never heard a spirit prison taught in Christianity. That was added years later by the LDS.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Buttons* said:
Basically i'm asking if baptism is necissary for salvation.

main questions:
* Does one need to be baptized to attain salvation? (this is a newer question)
* Is there a cut-off age for children or people who aren't able to make a decision (like the mentally disabled)?
* What about baptizing babies? Does that save you? What if you die before baptism?
1. I think it is highly adviseable to be baptized but it is not absolutely necessary. Like I said, what about those that die before being baptized? Surely Jesus wouldn't turn them away from heaven when they''ve given their hearts to him.

2. I don't think there is an actual age of cut off. God knows the age and I consider him just in his judgment. Alot of people think it is somewhere in latter teen years but that is just guessing. The bible does not state an 'age'

3. I don't think baptizing babies does anything except make the parents feel better IMO. The baby had no choice in the matter of accepting Christ as God.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Buttons...Ii have to add that I believe the baby would go straight to heaven if it died...forgot to add that in.

Aqualung

Tasty
Buttercup said:
I don't see any scripture specifically stating that if you die accepting Christ but not being baptized before you die you go to spirit prison.
That's not what you asked for. You asked for references to the spirit prison, insisting that lds "made it up later". I was just saying that we ddin't make it up.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Buttons* said:
I think the spirit prison stuff should go to another thread....
Good idea! Will be interesting and I would like to know more as it's not taught at my church. Gotta go pick up my son from church group...see ya later!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
That's not what you asked for. You asked for references to the spirit prison, insisting that lds "made it up later". I was just saying that we ddin't make it up.
And I am adressing the point you made about someone not being baptized (and dying) but who accepted Jesus as going to spirit prison. This is not a traditional Protestant teaching. That's why I asked for specific scripture where it says you will go to spirit prison in that case.