• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus, Jesus Everywhere

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This is just something I have noticed with Western people. Many of them practice religions totally outside of any Abrahamic paradigm, but include Jesus. So we have 'Christian Witch', 'Hindu who believes in Jesus', 'Zoroastrian + Jesus messiah', 'Paganism with Jesus' etc. I see this all over.

Is there a reason why Westerners seem to have such a hard time discarding Jesus?
Because they want truth?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
jesus, jesus everywhere and not a drop to drink

two christians are eating a jesus clown. one cannibal looks at the other cannibal and asks, "Does this taste funny to you?".

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This is just something I have noticed with Western people. Many of them practice religions totally outside of any Abrahamic paradigm, but include Jesus. So we have 'Christian Witch', 'Hindu who believes in Jesus', 'Zoroastrian + Jesus messiah', 'Paganism with Jesus' etc. I see this all over.

Is there a reason why Westerners seem to have such a hard time discarding Jesus?
In general, the West doesn't really have a mystic tradition. Perhaps Jesus acts as an access point for people to delve into this new way of thinking. Or perhaps he's a grounding link, sort of like a safety net if things get too weird.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I feel thats a generization. I know many Buddhist, for example, who never heard of jesus. Some hindu on this forum said they know nothing of christianity. A few pagans who are not ex christian dont have a concept of jesus outside him being a human that a religion is based on. My faith has no place for jesus nor do I place him on a pedelstool.

Maybe its former christians but thoze who are not and/or converted gradually finally find no place for jesus in their belief system. We may have opinions of him "based on thr bible" but some of us, not personally.

Kapalika

Premium Member

I agree, it's stupid and annoying. Though some are having too much fun with Satan as of late for my tastes too without understanding it either.

Because Jesus was a 'Manifestation of God'.

Its all a little like the Tanakh where everyone wants to have a piece of the action, the Christians, The Muslims, and more recently the Baha'is. The Tanakh - what a great story! The story of Christ is excellent too. The Jews are probably the best story tellers on the planet.

You mean with all the violence and genocide?

Jesus has a simple message that resonates with people, Love of God and Love of others. Jesus never set the specifics down, those are all interpreted from his words. They have left the religion, they like the message of love but they interpret his words differently then the religion they left.

You mean the part where he said if you don't believe in him you burn forever in fire? People often forget this but Jesus was where in the Bible the fully developed idea of Hell was introduced and he actually talked a lot about it in the four gospels but that is often overlooked.

Kenny

Premium Member
Be aware that unqualifiedly proclaiming one truth or another can be counted as proselytising, and receive corresponding treatment under the RF Rules.
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand since I am not attempting to convert someone. In context of what I said, it sounds like a good portion of all posts would qualify.

Is Rival's "Why should Pagans and Hindus give a flying **** about a Messiah concept they don't even have? Let alone incorporate a failed one into their belief system." considered a unqualified proclamation.

I sincerely ask as I don't quite understand your statement.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You mean the part where he said if you don't believe in him you burn forever in fire? People often forget this but Jesus was where in the Bible the fully developed idea of Hell was introduced and he actually talked a lot about it in the four gospels but that is often overlooked.

hell is a place devoid of Love. The potential is there but hell is bereft of such an awful thing.

The road to hell is deprived of any nourishment. It is like sherman's march to the sea. everything is laid waste

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Jesus talked about hell for sinners but never specified what was a sin that couldn't be forgiven. For example he praised gentiles and condemed rabbis. He forgave prostitues and tax men. He told a criminal on the cross he would be in heaven with him. He used Hell as a warning not as a weapon.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus talked about hell for sinners but never specified what was a sin that couldn't be forgiven. For example he praised gentiles and condemed rabbis. He forgave prostitues and tax men. He told a criminal on the cross he would be in heaven with him. He used Hell as a warning not as a weapon.
The whole idea of an eternal hell is bad, period. "I love you all as long as you love me, and if you don't then well there's this..." is always a weapon/threat. The NT goes out of its way to vilify Jews to make Jesus look like the good guy.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The whole idea of an eternal hell is bad, period. "I love you all as long as you love me, and if you don't then well there's this..." is always a weapon/threat. The NT goes out of its way to vilify Jews to make Jesus look like the good guy.

reciprocity doesn't work; whether you're a jew, or a christian. an eye for an eye, or a 100 dollar bills for a 100 note.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They may not have considered Luke 19:27. I would imagine they are also excluding the slavery, misogyny, and oceans of blood shed found throughout the Tanakh that were commanded by god. The only explanation that can serve is they have thrown "kill those who serve other gods" out the window, although that really doesn't make any sense to follow a pantheon that demands your death for not doing exactly as ordered.

Kenny

Premium Member
The NT goes out of its way to vilify Jews to make Jesus look like the good guy.
I think it is more like people using selected versus and misinterpreting it to vilify Jews. The disciples were Jews, the masses were Jews and those who began Christianity were Jews. The ones who actually crucified Jesus were Romans and only a select few Jews were partakers.

shmogie

Now we are moving into a different area.

I mean, say, you have an average American who leaves Christianity. Doesn't believe it anymore. Decides to worship Tyr instead. For some reason, he throws Jesus in.

Why?
Because he subconsciously has not really rejected what he knows as truth. He cannot. He may not have wanted to pick up his own cross, but he clings to the truth, anyway.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
A lot of people and a lot of religions don't think it is a bad idea. This again comes down to your personal views.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it is more like people using selected versus and misinterpreting it to vilify Jews. The disciples were Jews, the masses were Jews and those who began Christianity were Jews. The ones who actually crucified Jesus were Romans and only a select few Jews were partakers.
You mean apart from this verse:

"24When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but that instead a riot was breaking out, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “You shall bear the responsibility.” 25All the people answered, “his blood be on us and on our children!” 26So Pilate released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged and handed him over to be crucified.…"

And the part where jesus calls the Pharisees a 'brood of vipers' and says they will go to hell? In John's gospel he calls some Pharisees 'Children of the devil'.

The NT is soaked in antisemitism and has for thousands of years provided the Church with fuel for its Jew hating fire. It's just the modern age, the 21st century, that has seen a reduction in this hatred.

So sure, the disciples might have been Jews but that means nothing. We don't even know who wrote the gospels and Luke was probably a goy. Mark wasn't a disciple. Paul never met jesus and his letters also give fuel to antisemitic fire.

To ignore the anti-Jewish rhetoric in Christianity is to ignore at least 1800 years of Christian history. Just read the Church Fathers for yourself and see how much they just loved Jews.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of people and a lot of religions don't think it is a bad idea. This again comes down to your personal views.
I know Islam has an eternal hell as well. I'm unsure of any other religion that has; maybe Bahai. Just because many people believe in it, doesn't make it a good idea. It's not a very loving god that says 'believe in me or suffer eternally.'