• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus, Jesus Everywhere

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is just something I have noticed with Western people. Many of them practice religions totally outside of any Abrahamic paradigm, but include Jesus. So we have 'Christian Witch', 'Hindu who believes in Jesus', 'Zoroastrian + Jesus messiah', 'Paganism with Jesus' etc. I see this all over.

Is there a reason why Westerners seem to have such a hard time discarding Jesus?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This is just something I have noticed with Western people. Many of them practice religions totally outside of any Abrahamic paradigm, but include Jesus. So we have 'Christian Witch', 'Hindu who believes in Jesus', 'Zoroastrian + Jesus messiah', 'Paganism with Jesus' etc. I see this all over.

Is there a reason why Westerners seem to have such a hard time discarding Jesus?

Because Jesus was a 'Manifestation of God'.

Its all a little like the Tanakh where everyone wants to have a piece of the action, the Christians, The Muslims, and more recently the Baha'is. The Tanakh - what a great story! The story of Christ is excellent too. The Jews are probably the best story tellers on the planet.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

I've never understood the love for the Nazarene either. He's not a role model I'd aspire to be like if I'm honest. But what do I know, I'm one of those evil heathens who doesn't think it's good to actively refer to your followers as sheep.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
rel_pie.gif

Christianity is the most widespread religion in the world as well as having the most adherents

In regards to my comments about the Hebrew bible, the Abrahamic are doing pretty well numerically with nearly 55% of the worlds population

Consider the number of Christians in India and that accounts for HIndu and Zoroastrian Christians. The pagan Christians will come from places where Christianity has established.

But this makes little sense outside of, well, Christianity and Baha'iism, and maybe Hinduism.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
rel_pie.gif

Christianity is the most widespread religion in the world as well as having the most adherents

In regards to my comments about the Hebrew bible, the Abrahamic are doing pretty well numerically with nearly 55% of the worlds population
This is my point. Why then do Pagans, Witches, Hindus and other faith groups want Jesus? They did pretty well without him for like 3,000 years.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This is my point. Why then do Pagans, Witches, Hindus and other faith groups want Jesus? They did pretty well without him for like 3,000 years.

Colonisation and coercion would have helped. I think in the days when colonisation was happening peoples of less developed countries were in awe of the levels of technology and attributed this in part to Christianity.

Once again its an attractive story for many people.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Colonisation and coercion would have helped. I think in the days when colonisation was happening peoples of less developed countries were in awe of the levels of technology and attributed this in part to Christianity.

Once again its an attractive story for many people.
Now we are moving into a different area.

I mean, say, you have an average American who leaves Christianity. Doesn't believe it anymore. Decides to worship Tyr instead. For some reason, he throws Jesus in.

Why?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Now we are moving into a different area.

I mean, say, you have an average American who leaves Christianity. Doesn't believe it anymore. Decides to worship Tyr instead. For some reason, he throws Jesus in.

Why?

I'm not from America, but from the outside looking in they seem a somewhat confused country. Christianity appears very much part of the political discourse so perhaps its hard to shake the past.

In New Zealand where I live we are much more secular. Religion features little in day to day conversation.

Where do you live?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Jesus has a simple message that resonates with people, Love of God and Love of others. Jesus never set the specifics down, those are all interpreted from his words. They have left the religion, they like the message of love but they interpret his words differently then the religion they left.

The west has also adopted Buddhism and Taoism to many other religions as well which really don't mix. The reason the same they like the message and the specifics were never spelled out exactly.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not from America, but from the outside looking in they seem a somewhat confused country. Christianity appears very much part of the political discourse so perhaps its hard to shake the past.

In New Zealand where I live we are much more secular. Religion features little in day to day conversation.

Where do you live?
England. There's not much jesus here either, to be fair; many people here are atheists, which is why I chose the U.S.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus has a simple message that resonates with people, Love of God and Love of others. Jesus never set the specifics down, those are all interpreted from his words. They have left the religion, they like the message of love but they interpret his words differently then the religion they left.

The west has also adopted Buddhism and Taoism to many other religions as well which really don't mix. The reason the same they like the message and the specifics were never spelled out exactly.
But Jesus isn't exactly necessary for any of that.

Hello Rival.
Heavens, why would anybody want to discard Jesus? He is the Messiah or He isn't.

I have found that "discarding Jesus" is tough to do because Jesus loves us even if we don't love Him. He wants to save us from our sins and show us the way to eternal life. It is tough to turn one's back on the Savior who suffered and died for them.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Because the 'jesus' that many love is an idol within the false texts of John, Paul, and Simon, who claimed "I Am" consciousness, and we can all be like him....

Even if the bits people are often attuned to is the bits that are lies, like flies around manure.

What is then amazing, is many people don't notice Yeshua, especially Christians, Muslims, and Jews; which is then a clear miracle that the book is sealed as predicted (Isaiah 29:9-14).

What is even more incredible, and so simple is Yeshua warned the whole world will be deceived by the "Ego I-mee (I Am)" statements (Luke 21:8), when he didn't speak that way in the Synoptic Gospels. :innocent:

Why should Pagans and Hindus give a flying **** about a Messiah concept they don't even have? Let alone incorporate a failed one into their belief system.

I believe Kirran has answered your question in the post above this one.

Many people respect Jesus even if they don't believe Him to be the Messiah or the Son of God. They respect Him for his moral teaching if nothing else.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I've never been a big fan of Jesus but I get why his image is just about everywhere.

Most westerners were raised in a Christian household or were Christians at some point in the past so it is in some way comforting for them to bring Christ with them. I've also met various hindu and Buddhist converts who kept jesus in their life without ever asking themselves why they would do that. Granted I've also met a lot of Hindu and Buddhist converts who never stopped and thought about their faith period so they may not see how odd that is for a Buddhist to still believe in Jesus.

If one thinks about pagans and witches who include Jesus in their beliefs it starts to make even less sense to me. Why would you include a figure that is rather clearly against your beliefs in your beliefs? The man was a monotheist (if he existed) so why are you including him in polytheism?

There is also the belief that Jesus was just such a great guy! Something I've never really agreed with especially in light of the idea he is god. Honestly I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense but because the man was supposedly good you have to include him in everything I guess.

I'd say you may as well be a Christian if you are going to keep on keeping on with Christ.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
But Jesus isn't exactly necessary for any of that.

That would be your interpretation. Jesus could never be pinned down. He always taught in parables which have to be interpreted. Here is the 2 Commandments he gave.

Jesus was asked: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments," (Matt 22:36-40, Amp).

Notice it says the Lord your God not Yahweh or God of Abraham. All christian religions interpret that he meant Yahweh, but Jesus showed sympathies to the non-Jews of the time and I interpret it as Loving your God. He also states with all your Heart, Soul and Mind. He doesn't stipulate Money, work or rituals. Love your neighbor as yourself again open for a lot of interpretation.