• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus in the Qur'an and the Bible

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
In Christian teaching, no. Gabriel is an angel, possibly high in the hierarchy, but still an angel.

The way I understand it, the Holy Spirit is God himself. It is the God's own spirit.

The closest thing anyone can get to God is God's spirit, ie Holy Spirit. You don't get direct contact with him.

Here is an example.

Imagine that there is the curtain that separate God's world, and you in your physical world. The curtain is not transparent, but the curtain is not completely opaque. You could see the faint outline of the God standing behind that curtain. The outline is the Holy Spirit of God. No one get to see the true image of God.

I don't know if know the kabbalah teaching of the 10 aspects or emanations of God. There are ten layers to God, and the only aspect that any prophet can achieve, is to see the outer layer, which they called Shekinah, which is God's divine presence. The Holy Spirit is much like Shekinah, and it is the only manifestation that the prophet get to see.

According to the Mormons, when you're praying, and you felt the warm sensation in your body, and you believe your prayer being answer, to the Mormons that the divine presence that you feel; the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Of course, in the rare time that I have prayed during my troubled and confused late teen, I didn't feel any warmth; had no vision, sudden enlightenment or revelation. I felt nothing.

yeah that stuff is kind of like in islam, but different.

if you wanted to feel the warmth you could just have turned the heater on to hi! :D

Mr Cheese

no he apperas to Adam (as) after he is brough to earth, thats when islam begins.

but Gabriel (as) is the messenger of Allah (swt) to the prophets. anything Allah (swt) wanted to say to the prophets it was done through Gabriel (as) who also is the teacher of Muhammed (saws)

but i doubt the word Malaikah means messenger.

no thats wrong, gabriel is reffered to as the holy spirit in christianity, well it deppends on what part of christianity or sect you believe, if you believe that the trinity is just one being then yes you would believe that the holy spirit is god. but it is gabriel insted. and it is of no surprise, due to the bible being the word of Allah (swt) , that the holy spirit is gabriel as mentioned in the quran. and it may very well be in the torah as well.

never heard that before.

what is Malaikah???

Gabriel is not the holy spirit, I promise!

He/She is A holy Spirit as are all angels....

but THE holy spirit, well that would be an Islamic tradition I would guess, by this I mean an Islamic view of christian ideas. Within Christianity, Gabriel is not the holy spirit!

I forget, yes of course Islam considers that it goes back to Adam. Mohammed was the last prophet, and Gabriel's was the final revelation or somethign like that.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
what is Malaikah???

the english word for it is Angel.

Gabriel is not the holy spirit, I promise!

well it is not a surprise that we have differnet views on this.

He/She is A holy Spirit as are all angels....

they are spirits made from light, does christianity say that?

but THE holy spirit, well that would be an Islamic tradition I would guess, by this I mean an Islamic view of christian ideas. Within Christianity, Gabriel is not the holy spirit!

ok so when the bible speaks about gabriel it mentions his name right, rather than saying the holy spirit and meaning gabriel?

I forget, yes of course Islam considers that it goes back to Adam. Mohammed was the last prophet, and Gabriel's was the final revelation or somethign like that.

the quran is the final revelation, not gabriel (as). but it was also gbriel's (as) final revelation to a prophet from god. (gods words being revealed to a prophet through gabriel)

gnostic

The Lost One
eselam said:
yeah that stuff is kind of like in islam, but different.

if you wanted to feel the warmth you could just have turned the heater on to hi! :D
Not necessarily warmth, but the people praying would feel some sort of inexplicable emotion, such as comforted or relief (eg. feeling at peace), or what was confusing is now made clear (eg. experience of lucidity).

Muffled

Jesus in me
they are spirits made from light, does christianity say that?

ok so when the bible speaks about gabriel it mentions his name right, rather than saying the holy spirit and meaning gabriel?

the quran is the final revelation, not gabriel (as). but it was also gbriel's (as) final revelation to a prophet from god. (gods words being revealed to a prophet through gabriel)

Not to my knowledge other than Jesus saying that He is light and we become light through Him.

The angel Gabriel is always referred to by name as an angel. The Holy Spirit as used in the New Testament refers to the Paraclete which is God in us.

The Qu'ran is the last time God addresses a people through a messenger. Christians believe that God reveals Himself to them all of the time. However a large part of that revelation (like the Qu'ran) is a reminder of what has already been written.

It probably is the only time that happened. That doesn't mean that Gabiel doesn't have one last thing to do. It may very well be the voice of Gabriel that announces the Rapture.

AaronG

Within both scriptures, Jesus is held in the most honorable and respectful manner but there are differences between them as well. So which scripture represents the true nature and character of Jesus?

The Christian Scriptures represent the true nature and character of Jesus. I think this is most clearly seen in His death on the cross. This is a fact of history. Christian belief in Jesus' character and nature - doctrine - is rooted in God's work in history.

There is a connection between what Christians believe and what God has done in the world. The Christian scholar J. Gresham Machen wrote,
“The primitive Church was concerned not merely with what Jesus had said, but also, and primarily, with what Jesus had done. The world was to be redeemed through the proclamation of an event. And with the event went the meaning of the event; and the setting forth of the event with the meaning of the event was doctrine. These two elements are always combined in the Christian message. The narration of the facts is history; the narration of the facts with the meaning of the facts is doctrine. "Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and buried"--that is history. "He loved me and gave Himself for me"--that is doctrine. Such was the Christianity of the primitive Church” (Christianity and Liberalism, 29).
Here is another way of looking at it. Both the Qur'an and the Christian Scriptures speak of God's "greatness." Christians believe God is so great that He must condescend in order to create and communicate with us. God’s exaltedness is revealed in His condescension. Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758), a Christian preacher and theologian, wrote about how the Gospel of Jesus Christ:
leads us to love God as an infinitely condescending God. The gospel, above all things in the world, holds forth the exceeding condescension of God. No other manifestation that ever God made of himself exhibits such wonderful condescension as the Christian revelation does. The gospel teaches how God, who humbles himself to behold things that are in heaven and earth, stooped so low as to take an infinitely gracious notice of poor vile worms of the dust, and to concern himself for their salvation, and so as to send his only-begotten Son to die for them, that they might be forgiven, and elevated, and honoured, and brought into eternal fellowship with him, and to the perfect enjoyment of himself in heaven for ever (Charity and Its Fruits).
Allah Akbar – the Greatness of God Manifested in His Condescension

None of the Bible’s Writers Believed That Jesus is God:
All of the writers of the Bible believed that God was not Jesus. The idea that Jesus is God did not become part of Christian belief until after the Bible was written, and took many centuries to become part of the faith of Christians.
Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 and Matthew 19:17). They believed that he was the son of God in the sense of a righteous person. Many others too, are similarly called sons of God (see Matthew 23:1-9).

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...2018-bible-denies-jesus-god-bible-denies.html

Muffled

Jesus in me
None of the Bible’s Writers Believed That Jesus is God:
All of the writers of the Bible believed that God was not Jesus. The idea that Jesus is God did not become part of Christian belief until after the Bible was written, and took many centuries to become part of the faith of Christians.
Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 and Matthew 19:17). They believed that he was the son of God in the sense of a righteous person. Many others too, are similarly called sons of God (see Matthew 23:1-9).

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...2018-bible-denies-jesus-god-bible-denies.html

This is a bit speculative since none of the authors makes an "I believe statement" to that affect.

Even the church goes through times of searching just as individuals do. Sometimes it just doesn't get it as in the Doctrine of the Trinity. Christian belief is not very good evidence that something is true or false. The subject must be addressed on its own merits. (I have a string for that and there is another one on Biblical debates).

Matthew Mark Luke and John are not expressing their own opinions or beliefs but are relating the words of Jesus. Both of these verses (taken out of context) do not prove your point.

Gleaning the understanding of Jesus by the disciples is not easy but in all likelihood they did not understand the words of Jesus much better than you.
Nothing underscores this more than this verse:
Luke 8:25 And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And being afraid they marvelled, saying one to another, Who then is this, that he commandeth even the winds and the water, and they obey him?

Last edited:

Theo_Book

Within both scriptures, Jesus is held in the most honorable and respectful manner but there are differences between them as well. So which scripture represents the true nature and character of Jesus?

Simple question: Does Islamic scriptures recognize Jesus as speaker of truth?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ah, but that was not the question. God has sent men who lied. My question is, does Muslim scripture present Jesus as speaking truth?
Yes, he is considered to be a bona fide "prophet" in Islam, second in line to Muhammad, of course.

Theo_Book

Yes, he is considered to be a bona fide "prophet" in Islam, second in line to Muhammad, of course.

Still not the question. I Kings 13 gives an account of an old prophet of God who came to a young prophet of God and lied to him.

My questions remains. does Islamic (or muslim) scripture present Jesus as speaking truth?

I would appreciate it more if a Muslim would respond. (No dispersion, I am trying to discover something here) If you are a Muslim it would help me if you would simply sate it as a fact, because of my ignorance, I cannot discern from titles.

Last edited:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Which scripture was actually written in Yeshuas' life time. Neither, so I have to come to the conclusion that no one knows the true nature of Yeshuas' character.

Theo_Book

Which scripture was actually written in Yeshuas' life time. Neither, so I have to come to the conclusion that no one knows the true nature of Yeshuas' character.

Your great-great-grandfather was not so designated in your lifetime. does that mean you did not have a great-great-grandfather?

I think I would listen to the eye-witness and ear-witness accounts of testimony from those who were there when he was.

Theo_Book

So, any Muslim want to respond to the question? Does Islamic (or muslim) scripture present Jesus as speaking truth? i.e., Is Jesus considered a truth speaker when he speaks in Christian scripture? What is Islam's assessment of Jesus as the prophet speaking for God?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So, any Muslim want to respond to the question? Does Islamic (or muslim) scripture present Jesus as speaking truth? i.e., Is Jesus considered a truth speaker when he speaks in Christian scripture? What is Islam's assessment of Jesus as the prophet speaking for God?
Let us be very clear. I am not a Muslim, nor would I ever consider "reverting" to Islam. If I can take a stab at your question again...

You see, Muslims will often speak praises about Jesus as a genuine prophet of god, however, they will also, at the drop of a hat, insist that Christian Scriptures have been "corrupted". Curiously, the parts that are corrupted are the parts that are at variance with the telling of Christian tales in the Qur'an. In this respect, the "truth teller" angle might find itself covered in the corrupted parts that were altered. I don't know, but it would be interesting for one of the more knowledgeable Muslims to speak up. :cool:

Theo_Book

Let us be very clear. I am not a Muslim, nor would I ever consider "reverting" to Islam. If I can take a stab at your question again...

You see, Muslims will often speak praises about Jesus as a genuine prophet of god, however, they will also, at the drop of a hat, insist that Christian Scriptures have been "corrupted". Curiously, the parts that are corrupted are the parts that are at variance with the telling of Christian tales in the Qur'an. In this respect, the "truth teller" angle might find itself covered in the corrupted parts that were altered. I don't know, but it would be interesting for one of the more knowledgeable Muslims to speak up. :cool:

I appreciate your clearing up the fact you are not Muslim. I did not know, but I need Muslims to deal truthfully with me if we are to have any kind of real dialogue. they seem reluctant to respopnd to the real issue between Christians and Muslims; i.e., how to treat or consider each other's sacred writings.

Since I asked the question, I think it only fair Muslims respond. If they in return query me on the same issu, I will tell them honestly, AND I will tell them why.

How about it? Any Muslim?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't suppose I could pitch in my two cents and say that the Bible and Quran are both right to a certain extent, and both wrong to a certain extent? At least in my understanding of Jesus :)