• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'It's too crazy not to be true!'

newcastle

Why is it that religions (most of them at least) are so... weird? If religions are a creation of humans, designed to enable us to better understand the world, then why aren't they more coherent?

Now I imagine people will answer with something like 'They're trying to explain the unexplainable' but the creation/formation of the universe (at least after the 'Big Bang') as science understands it so far, is relatively simple to convey in a bog-standard, easy to comprehend way.

If the writter of Genesis was trying to conceptualise and explain the creation of the universe, from his own limited understanding, then surely it would be a lot less cryptic and be a lot more simple? I suppose the creation of Earth is easily put in Genesis... but the fall of humanity could be more easily explained, surely?

I have to say... I didn't understand any of what you said...

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Phasmid said:
If the writter of Genesis was trying to conceptualise and explain the creation of the universe, from his own limited understanding, then surely it would be a lot less cryptic and be a lot more simple? I suppose the creation of Earth is easily put in Genesis... but the fall of humanity could be more easily explained, surely?

Your argument falls apart when you come to realize that virtually all creation myths are as insane as the creation in Genesis. For an example, I believe in the Egyptian creation myth, there is the original god who gives birth to the Universe by masturbating.

TurkeyOnRye

saying that there was a "big bang" is like saying that a print factory exploded and gave us a dictionary. Truth is often not quite what we want to hear.

In elementary school, my teacher showed us a classic science demonstration. He put oil and water inside a container and shook the mixture vigorously until it was mixed really well. We waited to see what happened and guess what? The two separated; oil collected at the top and water collected at the bottom.

See where I'm going with this?

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Why is it that religions (most of them at least) are so... weird? If religions are a creation of humans, designed to enable us to better understand the world, then why aren't they more coherent?

Because humans, especially a few thousand years ago, are not very coherent themselves.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Your argument falls apart when you come to realize that virtually all creation myths are as insane as the creation in Genesis. For an example, I believe in the Egyptian creation myth, there is the original god who gives birth to the Universe by masturbating.

It's more of an observation than an argument. The thread title is just a cliché I used to generalise it's subject matter.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses

Now I imagine people will answer with something like 'They're trying to explain the unexplainable' but the creation/formation of the universe (at least after the 'Big Bang') as science understands it so far, is relatively simple to convey in a bog-standard, easy to comprehend way.

I would say that theistic ideas arn't half as weird as the strangeness that science unlocks about the world. A watchfull creator sharing a suspicious number of attributes with humans like love, seems pretty mundane and predictive to me. Nothing odd about anthropomorphic behaviour.
The reality is, weird aspects of quantum physics, singularities and the various dimentions of space and time, are all leagues ahead of any theistic idea thought up by even the most weird of new age gurus.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

We don't see true religion as a human creation!

But that said, eminently coherent religion does indeed exist!

Perhaps you just haven't investigated enough to encounter it, yet.

Peace,

Bruce

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
when one considers the cultures that came up with the creation stories then they don't seem so incoherent. Creation stories tell you a lot about the culture that created them, how they view the world and their place in it. (Honestly the 'facts' about how it happened aren't as important as the lesson behind it, religiously speaking.)

wa:do

if you make it harder to understand you can make it apply on more situations
and`have an exuse if the info doesn't match (just say they misunderstood it)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
doppelgänger;1126082 said:
Perhaps you do, if all you see is a painting of a person with both eyes on the same side of her face. :p

Wait...Are you implying that I'm a woman? :eek:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
doppelgänger;1126087 said:
Only if you're inferring that I'm implying you're a woman.

Now, you're implying that I'm inferring that...oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

Would you say that art can teach us anything new, even though it's a reflection of what we bring to it?