• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's official: I'm coming out!

Renji

Ooohhhh... okay. :D

I guess this is another example of a cultural difference: I'm used to "propose" meaning "propose marriage" specifically. :)

Yeah... that changes things.

Yeah, out here "propose" means "propose marriage".
smile.gif

Here, "proposal" could mean a marriage proposal or just simply asking someone to be your bf or gf.:D

Noaidi

slow walker
Lawrence, what 'vibes' do you get from this girl? Do you think she feels the same way? Half the battle is knowing that you have at least a chance of success. If the signs are good, then just ask her. Easier said than done, I know, but we have all been there at some point.

Good luck!

Renji

One extra thought,

Why not move out to the new area where she lives,
get a job there, get to know each other better,
date for a while,
and see how that goes.
If you're right for a long term partnership
this will help you both to know.
And in the mean time,
you can establish yourself somewhat
in an adult role.
Support yourSelf, live on your own and all that.
It will make you a more confident and stronger person.

Not a bad idea, as a Fil -Korean, I can always decide whether I will stay in Phil or in Korea. But the thing is, I'm studying here in the Philippines. If I go to Korea, not all of my subjects will be credited and will end up starting over my college education. Also, I have already forgotten the writing system in Korea. It's like totally starting with new things..

Renji

Lawrence, what 'vibes' do you get from this girl? Do you think she feels the same way? Half the battle is knowing that you have at least a chance of success. If the signs are good, then just ask her. Easier said than done, I know, but we have all been there at some point.

Good luck!

As of now, I'm still trying to figure out. She seems to be "nice" but that isn't an assurance that I have a chance on her, besides, we're childhood friends, so that could be the reason why. I still need some time to assess I guess. Or once I had the confidence, and we can see each other personally, I can just ask her that and listen to her answer.

Noaidi

slow walker
As of now, I'm still trying to figure out. She seems to be "nice" but that isn't an assurance that I have a chance on her, besides, we're childhood friends, so that could be the reason why.

OK, yes I can see that this is where reading any signs can be tricky. The last thing you want is to risk damaging the long friendship you have with her if you misinterpret the signs.

I still need some time to assess I guess. Or once I had the confidence, and we can see each other personally, I can just ask her that and listen to her answer.

It may not be the same as asking for advice from someone face-to-face, but I reckon you've displayed a lot of confidence and pro-activeness by coming on here and asking us what we think.
Don't sell yourself short, Lawrence.

Alceste

Vagabond
Just keep yourself on her mind by doing something for her every day. Postcard, letter, phone call, email, text, etc. Try Skype with video. Flatter the heck out of her, tell her she's beautiful and smart. No need to unload all of your feelings at once, especially if you're shy. Just start treating her like your gf, or your queen. Just be clear and consistent that you can't wait to see her, think she's wonderful in every way, and have zero interest in other girls. That should do the trick. Worked on me anyway. I'm getting married in June.:)

The friend zone probably happens because you stifle your flattery so as not to look too interested, for great of being rejected. Don't hold back. Just keep it either fun and flirty or intense and intimate - and always sincere.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Maybe you ought to wait to ask her about marriage. Maybe, as 9-10ths Penguin said, it is a cultural thing, but if a guy asked me to marry him too soon, I would be a little bit scared. Take it slow is my advice. I think you will know when it is the right time.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Maybe you ought to wait to ask her about marriage. Maybe, as 9-10ths Penguin said, it is a cultural thing, but if a guy asked me to marry him too soon, I would be a little bit scared. Take it slow is my advice. I think you will know when it is the right time.

( with "propose" he refers to "propose to be gf and bf" :eek: )

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
( with "propose" he refers to "propose to be gf and bf" :eek: )

Well, then, just let nature take it's course. Buy her a small piece of jewelry and say "Hey, be my girlfriend". :eek::p:) She may surprise you and say, "I was wondering when you'd ask". ;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Make sure you get a large, high quality diamond before proposing. Women will do anything for expensive gemstones.