• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It was 22 years ago today that Clinton was impeached

Did Bill Clinton deserve to be impeached?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
On This Day: House impeaches President Bill Clinton

I recall my attitude at the time was "meh." I didn't really think that they had a very good reason for impeaching him, but I didn't really care that they were trying to do so anyway. It was good fodder for jokes, though.

Other events which happened this day:

I didn't like Clinton, but I liked Ford even less.

I thought it was a horrible reason. He did do the don't ask don't tell for the military nonsense. I disagree with him over that but not to impeach him over it. I was in my early teens when I heard both. I voted for Gore, I believe.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I was a bit young when this was all going on, but that was my feeling about it too. It was the stupidest thing ever to impeach someone over, and I say that as someone who was a prude when I was a teenager as much as I am now. It was just dumb. :sweat:

I'm with you on this one. The whole thing was really stupid. I don't remember much, but it certainly wasn't one of our nation's prouder moments. o_O

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well...I was in middle school...I recall I was mystified by the news...when the teacher told us about that. She was giggling...
But even then I could not understand how the private sphere of a president was considered relevant.:)

The lessons that a young person learns about the working of governments with such nonsense going on are some sort of interesting, that's for sure. This particular incident really honed in how influential puritanical values still were in the United States at that time (and still are). And how adults really don't behave any differently than children when you get right down to it. They just use fancier words to dress up their tantrums and defiance while claiming to be rational about it all. Human history basically looks like a bunch of children fighting over toys in the sandbox with how it is often told.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought it was a horrible reason. He did do the don't ask don't tell for the military nonsense. I disagree with him over that but not to impeach him over it. I was in my early teens when I heard both. I voted for Gore, I believe.

His DADT policy was a backing down under pressure from the Republicans that didn't accept Clinton's original proposal to simply let gays exist openly in the military. I recall being very disappointed he caved so early in his administration.

PureX

Veteran Member
He chose to lie, & to attempt to convince someone else to lie.
It was entrapment. Plain and simple.

If he wasn't a scumbag politician, he would have refused to answer. He lied because he's a liar. But this doesn't change the fact that it was still entrapment, and he would have been presumed guilty if he refused to answer them, presumed guilty if he told the truth, and punished for it just the same. That's called entrapment. Nor does it change the fact that the people "prosecuting" him were no better than he was, and just as guilty of all the same moral and ethical failings.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was entrapment. Plain and simple.
I'd heard that accusation before, ie, that Monica worked for
the opposition, & enticed Bill to do something he otherwise
wouldn't do (the definition of "entrapment").
I don't buy it. There's no evidence that she was part of any
honey pot operation. Everything points to their having a
consensual sexual relationship that was simply discovered,
& made public. This is no excuse under the law to commit
or suborn perjury.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'd heard that accusation before, ie, that Monica worked for
the opposition, & enticed Bill to do something he otherwise
wouldn't do (the definition of "entrapment").
I don't buy it. There's no evidence that she was part of any
honey pot operation. Everything points to their having a
consensual sexual relationship that was simply discovered,
& made public. This is no excuse under the law to commit
or suborn perjury.
You keep ignoring the fact that the whole "investigation" was a morality trap. There was no crime to investigate, only an embarrassing lapse of judgment that they were using to get him to lie, so that they'd finally have an actual "crime" to prosecute. That's called entrapment. And many of the public saw it as being worse than the lapse in judgment they were so desperate to exploit. It's why the republicans couldn't make any real political hay out of it after all the energy and money they spent trying.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You keep ignoring the fact that the whole "investigation" was a morality trap.
I'm not ignoring it.
I disagree that Clinton was trapped or entrapped.
He did what he did without any enticement other than Monica being charming & fecund.
But when it became public knowledge, he chose to commit & suborn perjury.
The motives of those investigating him aren't the issue.
There was no crime to investigate, only an embarrassing lapse of judgment that they were using to get him to lie, so that they'd finally have an actual "crime" to prosecute. That called entrapment.
You're not addressing the point I made earlier that law enforcement
often investigates things without finding the crime they envisioned.
But the subject then commits crimes of justice obstruction.
This is why Martha Stewart went to prison.
Do you think she shouldn't have been prosecuted?
I'd like an answer to that.

Audie

Veteran Member
You keep ignoring the fact that the whole "investigation" was a morality trap. There was no crime to investigate, only an embarrassing lapse of judgment that they were using to get him to lie, so that they'd finally have an actual "crime" to prosecute. That's called entrapment. And many of the public saw it as being worse than the lapse in judgment they were so desperate to exploit. It's why the republicans couldn't make any real political hay out of it after all the energy and money they spent trying.
He chose to lie.

Audie

Veteran Member
He should have been impeached for exhibiting extreme stupidity and letting down his supporters.

Right, wrong or otherwise, it effectively ended his ability to further his agenda.

How about lying under oath? Got him disbarred.

PureX

Veteran Member
He chose to lie.
As we all do, on occasion. Especially when our 'enemies' are trying to humiliate us in front of the world, and in front of our family. And let's be honest. That was the ONLY reason for that whole "investigation".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As we all do, on occasion. Especially when our 'enemies' are trying to humiliate us in front of the world, and in front of our family. And let's be honest. That was the ONLY reason for that whole "investigation".
He chose to commit a crime.
And then he chose to commit another crime.
We can't really prosecute people for choices they make.

Audie

Veteran Member

Two bad choices.

As for investigation?

I dont do tele-motive readings.

C showed himself for what he is, but
his sycophants didnt care.

To me the lies seemed even more revealing of
character than his betrayal of martiage vows.
and dishonouring his office.

Character is kind of important, and both C's
look as devoid as the T, in that dept.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You sure are determined to miss the point on this. Why is that?
I'm trying to get you to recognize my point.
I already know that you think Bill has a good excuse,
ie, that boinking Monica is private, & the Republicans
used this against him.
You're still excusing his crimes because they were
choices he made.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm not ignoring it.
I disagree that Clinton was trapped or entrapped.
He did what he did without any enticement other than Monica being charming & fecund.
But when it became public knowledge, he chose to commit & suborn perjury.
The motives of those investigating him aren't the issue.

You're not addressing the point I made earlier that law enforcement
often investigates things without finding the crime they envisioned.
But the subject then commits crimes of justice obstruction.
This is why Martha Stewart went to prison.
Do you think she shouldn't have been prosecuted?
I'd like an answer to that.

Just a question: if he had said "yes, I slept with Miss Lewinski"...would someone (like his party) have forced him to resign?
You know... because of some Puritan prejudice?;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just a question: if he had said "yes, I slept with Miss Lewinski"...would someone (like his party) have forced him to resign?
You know... because of some Puritan prejudice?;)
He'd have been easily & quickly forgiven by his loyal party.
Consider that after lying about it, & being impeached for it, they
still forgave him. He took the long way around to the same end.