• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It looks like the water problem is solved on Mars.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, so if we rape the planet, duh, we can get the water we need for a limited number of humans to live there. The question, though, is should we rape another planet for our short term economic gain? Or perhaps get our **** together here first?
I vote for rape:D Okay, seriously if we do colonize there it will take a concerted effort and I do not think that "rape" is in the offing. Right now it appears that there is nothing there to rape. And also, sometime in the long distant future, AGW or not, in fact long after the effects of AGW are over, our planet will eventually warm until it is uninhabitable. Though that future is many millions of years away.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not really. If you read your own source it mentions that lunar dust is even worse.
Mars dust has the problem of becoming airborne.
Moon dust is bad to, but there are no dust storms.
Finally, dust isn't the only factor affecting colonizability.

wellwisher

If we ever do move to Mars there will be no lack of water:

A European Space Agency (ESA) probe has found enough water to cover Mars in an ocean between 4.9 and 8.9 feet (1.5 and 2.7 meters) deep, buried in the form of dusty ice beneath the planet's equator.

The finding was made by ESA's Mars Express mission, a veteran spacecraft that has been engaged in science operations around Mars for 20 years now. While it's not the first time that evidence for ice has been found near the Red Planet's equator, this new discovery is by far the largest amount of water ice detected there so far and appears to match previous discoveries of frozen water on Mars.

"Excitingly, the radar signals match what we expect to see from layered ice and are similar to the signals we see from Mars' polar caps, which we know to be very ice rich," said lead researcher Thomas Watters of the Smithsonian Institution in the United States in an ESA statement.
The composition of Mars has similarities to the Earth. It also has an iron core and water on the surface, albeit, trapped as ice. Mars does not have much of a global magnetic field, anywhere as strong as the earth. The earth's magnetic field is amplified by the water cycle caused by the sun within the atmosphere; atmosphere is positive and iron has electrons to give. This impacts the iron core through the continuity of extreme phases of water to the core.

My guess is Mars was once warmed by geological heating and liquid water was on the surface. The water was commandeered inward. by entropy, to react with the iron core. Water can increase water-mineral entropy by dissolving inward toward higher and higher temperature and pressure. This core reaction is still going on; rust, as inferred by its massive volcano; 72,000 ft. Like the earth, plenty of water will be found in the mantle below the crust.

Once we figure out how to tap into the iron core-water reactions, here on earth, we will have plenty of clean self renewing energy. We can bring that technology to Mars to develop the surface.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The composition of Mars has similarities to the Earth. It also has an iron core and water on the surface, albeit, trapped as ice. Mars does not have much of a global magnetic field, anywhere as strong as the earth. The earth's magnetic field is amplified by the water cycle caused by the sun within the atmosphere; atmosphere is positive and iron has electrons to give. This impacts the iron core through the continuity of extreme phases of water to the core.

My guess is Mars was once warmed by geological heating and liquid water was on the surface. The water was commandeered inward. by entropy, to react with the iron core. Water can increase water-mineral entropy by dissolving inward toward higher and higher temperature and pressure. This core reaction is still going on; rust, as inferred by its massive volcano; 72,000 ft. Like the earth, plenty of water will be found in the mantle below the crust.

Once we figure out how to tap into the iron core-water reactions, here on earth, we will have plenty of clean self renewing energy. We can bring that technology to Mars to develop the surface.
You started off doing fine, but then you began to spout nonsense. You need to find sources that say the water cycle has anything at all to do with our magnetic field. In fact from that point on you just yammered your own pseudoscience.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I score 2 points on Wellwisher Bingo, one for water and one for entropy.

No mention, however, of hydrogen bonds or liberals.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure if it's that easy.

giphy+%25284%2529.gif

And then there are those zero gravity toilets. I guess it's kind of a different experience when pooping in space, from what I've heard.

View attachment 87175
If Lisa Nowak taught us only one thing, her mission is complete. Adult diapers.

vulcanlogician

Yes, so if we rape the planet, duh, we can get the water we need for a limited number of humans to live there. The question, though, is should we rape another planet for our short term economic gain? Or perhaps get our **** together here first?

If you want to think long term, we can set up industries on Mars. Burning fossil fuels there would actually HELP the planet become more habitable, and with its low gravity, launching a bunch of industrial goods would be way less expensive than here on Earth.

BTW, getting our **** together often involves planning for the future. Imagine if (instead of fighting WW1 100 years ago), we put all that effort into the space program!

I agree that we need to work on eco-sustainability is a higher priority than colonizing Mars at the moment. But (again, long term) going to Mars ought to be on our priorities list somewhere.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Good question you raise....
I wonder how soil would age over
millions of years of intense radiation
with almost no atmosphere?
No one knows, but it might be an interesting line of research for soil scientists and exobiologists.
I think it is a good question.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder at the developmental political and social implications of colonizing the moon, given that such development would have to be containerized. Would we grow more cooperative and altruistic knowing that one among the many could end it for everyone?

Would it lead to a more socialized population, interdependent one on the other.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Mars dust has the problem of becoming airborne.
Moon dust is bad to, but there are no dust storms.
Finally, dust isn't the only factor affecting colonizability.
Since there is no air, Moon dust can't get airborne, but it can and does levitate electrostatically. 'Levitating' Moon Dust Explained in New NASA Study
I didn't find it on first search, but there are pictures of the dust on the horizon at sundown on Luna. It's that thick.