• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israeli wins gold in fencing; Austrian hosts don't play Israeli anthem

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
VIENNA, Nov. 15 (UPI) -- Austrian officials concede they did not play Israel's anthem at an international fencing competition where two Israeli teens won gold and bronze medals.

The Austrian official in charge of playing the national anthems of countries of the winning participants, explained he was unable to find a recording of the Israeli anthem, Yedioth Aharonoth reported Sunday.

Dana Stralinkov, 14, and Alona Komarov, 13, waited to hear Israel's national anthem Hatikva played after receiving their medals Saturday, the newspaper said.

After a few minutes of silence, the two Israeli teens along with the entire Israeli delegation of 22 people, burst into song and sung Hatikva, the teenagers' coach Yaakov Friedman said.

"It was a very moving moment," Freidman told the paper.

A similar incident occurred five months ago at a competition in Sweden he said.

Yossi Harari, chairman of the Israel Fencing Association said he intended to submit a complaint to the European Union. Harari also advised supplying every Israeli delegation participating in competitions abroad, with a recorded disc of Israel's national anthem, the paper said.

One hundred and twenty participants from 20 countries participated in the European Cup fencing competition in Austria, the paper said.

Source: No Israeli anthem at fencing competition - UPI.com

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
OUt of all the European countries I've visited, Austrians were the rudest BY FAR. They far outpaced the French in general arrogance and disdain for "foreigners."

Kathryn

I think it's at the LEAST a pretty glaring faux pax - especially in light of their anti-Semetic history. Sheeze!

.lava

Veteran Member
but aren't they obligated to play anthem of nation when someone wins medal? it is a rule. i think it is weird and disrespectful.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A bit odd when they can find the most obscure mini nations anthems.

Perhaps a "Terrorist" stole the only copy.

You would have thought there would be multitrack recordings of all anthems for such events.
or would that be too easy.?

MSizer

MSizer
LOL, great...;)

You should be ashamed and embarassed for this comment. The contestants were young teens.

I personally am strongly in opposition to competition sports, but for those who choose to participate, their are rules, and to fail to adhere to them is immoral.

Granted, it could be that they lost the recording, but that being the case, they're still in the wrong for acting irresponsibly by neglect. If the act was not a mistake but an intentional one, then that is terrible. If they don't respect the Isrelis enough to play their anthem, then they shouldn't be participating in sports with them in the first place.

I can't imagine any single reason for you to be happy that this happened except hatred.

Sahar

I personally am strongly in opposition to competition sports, but for those who choose to participate, their are rules, and to fail to adhere to them is immoral.
Indeed, immoral!! How dare they!! How, how!!! :eek:

If they don't respect the Isrelis enough to play their anthem, then they shouldn't be participating in sports with them in the first place.
Agreed.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You should be ashamed and embarassed for this comment. The contestants were young teens.

Granted, it could be that they lost the recording, but that being the case, they're still in the wrong for acting irresponsibly by neglect. If the act was not a mistake but an intentional one, then that is terrible. If they don't respect the Isrelis enough to play their anthem, then they shouldn't be participating in sports with them in the first place.

I can't imagine any single reason for you to be happy that this happened except hatred.

LOL at you;).
42943d1244227297-can-you-believe-i-got-fired-do_not_feed_trolls.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
question for those of you that are making such a big deal over nothing:

would you go to war over the national anthem not being played?

Smoke

Done here.
UPI said:
The Austrian official in charge of playing the national anthems of countries of the winning participants, explained he was unable to find a recording of the Israeli anthem, Yedioth Aharonoth reported Sunday.
If true, that would indicate that he was too incompetent to have been placed in charge of it and failed to do his job.

OUt of all the European countries I've visited, Austrians were the rudest BY FAR. They far outpaced the French in general arrogance and disdain for "foreigners."
Never been there, but I've been hearing that as long as I can remember.

question for those of you that are making such a big deal over nothing:

would you go to war over the national anthem not being played?
Nobody is suggesting that, just as no civilized person would suggest rioting in the streets over a cartoon.

Reactions: kai

Kathryn

Nobody is suggesting that, just as no civilized person would suggest rioting in the streets over a cartoon.

Or putting out an international death order on an author because he wrote "blasphemous words."