• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamaphobia - Years later, I accept its a real/true phenomena and an industry

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Thats not relevant to the thread.

I disagree. Muslims ask the rest of us to accept their grandiose claims and then complain when we criticize those claims? That is COMPLETELY relevant to "Islamophobia".

icehorse

Premium Member
In post #155 I said:
Isn't it the case that one of the main points of the OP was to claim that these critics of Islam are only in it for the money? That's a strawman.

Is it not the case that you picked a few supporting versus from the Quran to bolster your argument? That's cherrypicking.

Thats not what you claimed.

So. You dont have any specifics, but just a general statement.

Of course it's what I claimed, I just claimed it ?!!

firedragon

Veteran Member
What did you write that indicates a person MUST recognize that their fear is irrational in order for them to suffer from a phobia?

Because that was part of the psychiatric diagnosis mentioned in the psychiatric manual of the American psychiatric society and also is a very well known part of their evaluation of classification.

This is one of the reasons I didnt agree with the word and usage of "Islamaphobia".

icehorse

Premium Member
No its not. Read the OP.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree. I question the assumptions that the OP is based on. Therefore I question the claims made in the OP. If you need me to buy into your assumptions, then I'm not interested.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Here are two articles on this issue (on oppression, corruption etc):
54. Oppression and Injustice

Justice
It is interesting to compare these two articles to the memoirs of Ayatollah Sadeq Khalkhali, who was one of the most active judges in applying the charge of ‘spreading corruption on earth’

He wrote;

• ‘A Corrupter on earth is a person who contributes to spreading and expanding corruption on earth. Corruption is what leads to the decline, destruction and deviation of society from its [true] nature. People who were executed had striven to spread corruption and prostitution, distributing heroin and opium and exhibiting licentious behavior, atheism, murder, betrayal, flattery: in sum, all these vile qualities. These people’s problems were aggravated by the fact that they did not repent once they saw the people’s revolution.’
It is interesting that he included atheism in the charge of spreading corruption on earth, amongst other questionable things when we consider the penalty of death as a possible outcome of the charge.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It is interesting to compare these two articles to the memoirs of Ayatollah Sadeq Khalkhali, who was one of the most active judges in applying the charge of ‘spreading corruption on earth’

He wrote;

• ‘A Corrupter on earth is a person who contributes to spreading and expanding corruption on earth. Corruption is what leads to the decline, destruction and deviation of society from its [true] nature. People who were executed had striven to spread corruption and prostitution, distributing heroin and opium and exhibiting licentious behavior, atheism, murder, betrayal, flattery: in sum, all these vile qualities. These people’s problems were aggravated by the fact that they did not repent once they saw the people’s revolution.’
It is interesting that he included atheism in the charge of spreading corruption on earth, amongst other questionable things when we consider the penalty of death as a possible outcome of the charge.

Its interesting. Do you agree with him?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Its interesting. Do you agree with him?
No I do not agree that spreading atheism is spreading corruption on earth, or that there should even be a death penalty let alone for things as trivial as prostitution, however in Iran he was the one who got to decide what it meant, and an array of non-crimes where charged under that title.

It’s part of why i’m opposed to such a catch all charge. Tell us what you are really charging them with. That way we don’t have disbelievers in the majority opinion lumped in with murderers etc.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Many years ago I used to be like this too, but I believe it was because of my lack in understanding of what Islam truly is.
Those extremists are not Muslims in my view. They do not know islam. But the millions of good Muslims are nice people.
"No True Scotsman" fallacy. Islam (like Christianity and other religions;) is what the believer believes it is. That is the very nature of religious belief. Practically a tautology, really.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Brother. You should read a Diagnostic and statistical manual of psychology to understand what a phobia is. I can recommend DSM by the American Psdychiatric Society. I am no psychiatrist or psychologist mate but I have read this purely to understand this term because as I have said I always disagreed the usage of this word "Islamaphobia" because its clinically wrong. But, things have evolved now and of course I have explained in the OP.

Dictionary is good, but gives a very concise summary. Its too shallow really, but how ever you wish to define it, its still fine with me because it does not really negate anything in the writing above.

Thanks for your advice though. Highly appreciated.
I don't know. Islamophobia might actually be quite reasonable for someone working or living in tall towers in major cities. After all, no other religion has ever taken down huge towers by flying planes into them for religious reasons. Thus, I strongly doubt that anybody in the new WTC is suffering from "Quakerphobia," wondering when they'll take down their building.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So you know better about my view of example Islam then I do my self?
No, I do not. But I also do not accept that your understanding of Islam is the only one. That, just looking at the two major sects, and the outliers, ought to be pretty obvious.

You said: "Those extremists are not Muslims in my view. They do not know islam. But the millions of good Muslims are nice people." Do I assume that you mean, by "the millions," both Shia and Sunni? But you do not mean the "extremists?" How about the Ghulat and Kharijite movements? Or the Sufi orders? How about Ibadi, Ash’ari, Maturidi, Murji’ah, Qadariyyah, Mu’tazili, Jahmiyyah, Bateniyyah. Or how about the Ahmadiyya or Gülen/Hizmet movements? Salfism and Wahhabism – what about them?

There are more….I just want to know which ones you claim “do not know Islam," and which are the "nice people?"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No, I do not. But I also do not accept that your understanding of Islam is the only one. That, just looking at the two major sects, and the outliers, ought to be pretty obvious.

You said: "Those extremists are not Muslims in my view. They do not know islam. But the millions of good Muslims are nice people." Do I assume that you mean, by "the millions," both Shia and Sunni? But you do not mean the "extremists?" How about the Ghulat and Kharijite movements? Or the Sufi orders? How about Ibadi, Ash’ari, Maturidi, Murji’ah, Qadariyyah, Mu’tazili, Jahmiyyah, Bateniyyah. Or how about the Ahmadiyya or Gülen/Hizmet movements? Salfism and Wahhabism – what about them?

There are more….I just want to know which ones you claim “do not know Islam," and which are the "nice people?"
Those who do terror in the name of Allah is in my understanding (meaning I don't say my understanding is the only true answer to Islam) are not true Muslims since they do not follow the peaceful teaching of Islam.
I was talking about both shia and Sunni Muslims.if they do not follow Allahs teaching, how can they be true Muslims? That is a question, not a statement from me.

I am not a Muslim so I only rely on my own understanding of Islam and by speaking with my Muslim friend here in Norway.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Those who do terror in the name of Allah is in my understanding (meaning I don't say my understanding is the only true answer to Islam) are not true Muslims since they do not follow the peaceful teaching of Islam.
I was talking about both shia and Sunni Muslims.if they do not follow Allahs teaching, how can they be true Muslims? That is a question, not a statement from me.

I am not a Muslim so I only rely on my own understanding of Islam and by speaking with my Muslim friend here in Norway.
But what about the Fatwa against Salman Rushdie for writing a novel ("The Islamic Versus"). It calls for him to be summarily killed. Killing people -- you might have heard this -- is not an entirely peaceful occupation. And again, it does seem that Islam mandates death for apostates -- those who, for whatever reason of their own, have come to some other faith belief after having once professed Islam. Killing people -- even for changing their own beliefs -- doesn't seem all that peaceful to me, but maybe you have another definition of peaceful.