• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Science

Islam does not get as much credit to the scientific reasearch as it deserves. What would the world have been without the exploration and inventions of the muslims before and during the "dark medeavil ages" as we talk about in europe?

Zephyr

Moved on
Yeah, Muslims made some pretty sweet discoveries, but I wouldn't attribute that to Islam itself no more than I would attribute the industrial age of the United States to Christianity. Muslims just happened to have the strong society of the time. Now it seems they've lost their place there.

Aasimar

Atheist
Just outta curiosity, since I'm not an Islamic scholar, I've had like 3 people say the Quran mentions the expansion of the universe, or at least that Islam predicted it. Anybody got somewhere to point me so I could validate this?

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Actually we attribute this to Islam..
When Islamic laws were applied to the muslim world in that era, it provided the suitable environment for developing all kinds of science..
Islam is the one who raised arabs from being some shepherds and for best cases some traders, to being the major power in the world..
Islam was the reason for ending the Roman injustice, and the Persian oppression..replacing them with the most tolerent, peacful environment..
All these led to speed development of many life aspects, inculding scienctific research

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Aasimar said:
Just outta curiosity, since I'm not an Islamic scholar, I've had like 3 people say the Quran mentions the expansion of the universe, or at least that Islam predicted it. Anybody got somewhere to point me so I could validate this?
And it is We who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it
51:47

BTW, Quran has many other miracles, actually an infinite number of miracles..
For a single word in the Quran, one can deduce several reason for this word being here in that place..
The most amazing miracles of the Quran are the numerical ones, which certainly proves God must have sent this book, for no one ever can invent such a thing..

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Islam does not get as much credit to the scientific reasearch as it deserves. What would the world have been without the exploration and inventions of the muslims before and during the "dark medeavil ages" as we talk about in europe?

It’s true. The Arab Islamic word was responsible for many incredible advances in science and mathematics, as well as many beautiful works of literature and art. They were responsible for preserving and translating many of the works of the classic Greek philosophers, which were in turn responsible for jumpstarting the renaissance in Europe. Their achievements in astrophysics were unmatched until recent times. Most of the stars in the sky that have names have Arabic names. The numbers that we use today are called Arabic numbers (0123456789). Actually although the Arabs did not actually invent these numbers (they came from India) they used them to advantage in the develop of Algebra and other advances in mathematics.

One point that needs to be made however is that most of these scientific advancements took place between the years 800 and 1100 AD. During that time the Arab world was a haven for people of all beliefs, not just Muslims but also Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and even Atheists. This was a time and place that was open to new ideas and different points of view. Thousands of books from all languages were translated into Arabic, read and studied.

This is the kind of society that should be admired and emulated. This the kind of society that creates advancement in science.

neves

I posted this in the wrong section before... I'll move it here since a thread already has been started... (copy/paste) :sleep:

Quran Sura Ar-Rahman (Chapter 55) (note: Not the whole sura just 10 lines before and after the relative verse)

There remaineth but the Countenance of thy Lord of Might and Glory. (27) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (28) All that are in the heavens and the earth entreat Him. Every day He exerciseth (universal) power. (29) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (30) We shall dispose of you, O ye two dependents (man and jinn). (31) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (32) O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth, then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them save with (Our) sanction. (33) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (34) There will be sent, against you both, heat of fire and flash of brass, and ye will not escape. (35) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (36) And when the heaven splitteth asunder and becometh rosy like red hide - (37) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? - (38) On that day neither man nor jinni will be questioned of his sin. (39) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (40) The guilty will be known by their marks, and will be taken by the forelocks and the feet. (41) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (42) This is Hell which the guilty deny. (43) They go circling round between it and fierce, boiling water. (44) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (45) But for him who feareth the standing before his Lord there are two gardens. (46) Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny? (47)

In the Arabic Quran... the word "wardatan" was translated as "rosy" above… The root word "warda" in Arabic literally means "rose" or "flower"… The "tan" at the end of "wardatan" is not part of the word… It is only an Arabic punctuation that only changes the sound of the word for grammatical rules…

What god is saying here is that when suns/stars explode… they form a red-rose-shaped explosion… god is also telling us that is a part of the things that will happen before the Day of Judgment…

Check this Image out at the NASA’s site….
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061112.html

Explosion of suns/stars cannot be seen with the naked eye… It also cannot be seen with regular telescopes… You need the special Government-owned and NASA-owned "Hubble Space" Super Telescope… The point from all of this is that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) could not have come up with any of this on his own 1500 years ago…

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Early Islam was noted for its scientific achievements and played a major role in the spreading of scientific knowledge! Indeed, much of the European Renaissance was a direct result of contact with Islamic knowledge of the time!

Unfortunately, as has happened in so many religions, later Islam largely declined into superstition.

Regards,

Bruce

Sahar

Early Islam was noted for its scientific achievements and played a major role in the spreading of scientific knowledge! Indeed, much of the European Renaissance was a direct result of contact with Islamic knowledge of the time!

Unfortunately, as has happened in so many religions, later Islam largely declined into superstition.
There is no early Islam or late Islam, Islam is the same 1000 years ago. Muslims are the ones who change, it depends if they followed their religion or not. They rise with Islam and without Islam they decline.

BruceDLimber

There is no early Islam or late Islam, Islam is the same 1000 years ago. Muslims are the ones who change, it depends if they followed their religion or not. They rise with Islam and without Islam they decline.

Correct: I in fact meant the people thereof; thanks for pointing this out! :)

And the rise-or-decline thing is true of all the great religions, of course!

Best,

Bruce

neves

Existence of a protective shield around the earth…

Sura An-Nahl (Chapter 16) (Note: Not whole sura just 10 lines before and after relative verses)

If there were therein Gods beside Allah, then verily both (the heavens and the earth) had been disordered. Glorified be Allah, the Lord of the Throne, from all that they ascribe (unto Him). (22)He will not be questioned as to that which He doeth, but they will be questioned. (23) Or have they chosen other gods beside Him? say: Bring your proof (of their godhead). This is the Reminder of those with me and those before me, but most of them know not the Truth and so they are averse. (24) And We sent no messenger before thee but We inspired him, (saying): There is no God save Me (Allah), so worship Me. (25) And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Be He glorified! Nay, but (those whom they call sons) are honoured slaves; (26) They speak not until He hath spoken, and they act by His command. (27) He knoweth what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot intercede except for him whom He accepteth, and they quake for awe of Him. (28) And one of them who should say: Lo! I am a God beside Him, that one We should repay with hell. Thus We Repay wrong-doers. (29) Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe? (30) And We have placed in the earth firm hills lest it quake with them, and We have placed therein ravines as roads that haply they may find their way. (31) And we have made the sky a roof withheld (from them). Yet they turn away from its portents. (32) And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit. (33) We appointed immortality for no mortal before thee. What! if thou diest, can they be immortal! (34) Every soul must taste of death, and We try you with evil and with good, for ordeal. And unto Us ye will be returned. (35) And when those who disbelieve behold thee, they but choose thee out for mockery, (saying): Is this he who maketh mention of your gods? And they would deny all mention of the Beneficent. (36) Man is made of haste. I shall show you My portents, but ask Me not to hasten. (37) And they say: When will this promise (be fulfilled), if ye are truthful? (38) If those who disbelieved but knew the time when they will not be able to drive off the fire from their faces and from their backs, and they will not be helped! (39) Nay, but it will come upon them unawares so that it will stupefy them, and they will be unable to repel it, neither will they be reprieved. (40) Messengers before thee, indeed, were mocked, but that whereat they mocked surrounded those who scoffed at them. (41) Say: Who guardeth you in the night or in the day from the Beneficent? Nay, but they turn away from mention of their Lord! (42) Or have they gods who can shield them from Us? They cannot help themselves nor can they be defended from Us. (43)

How the mountains help hold the earth’s crust in place like nails…and dampen earthquakes…

Sura An-Naba (Chapter 78) (Note: not whole sura just 5 lines before and after relative verses)

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Whereof do they question one another? (1) (It is) of the awful tidings, (2) Concerning which they are in disagreement. (3) Nay, but they will come to know! (4) Nay, again, but they will come to know! (5) Have We not made the earth an expanse, (6) And the high hills bulwarks? (7) And We have created you in pairs, (8) And have appointed your sleep for repose, (9) And have appointed the night as a cloak, (10) And have appointed the day for livelihood. (11) And We have built above you seven strong (heavens), (12) And have appointed a dazzling lamp, (13) And have sent down from the rainy clouds abundant water, (14) Thereby to produce grain and plant, (15) And gardens of thick foliage. (16) Lo! the Day of Decision is a fixed time, (17)

Sura An-Nahl (Chapter 16) (Note: Not whole sura just 10 lines before and after relative verses)

And the cattle hath He created, whence ye have warm clothing and uses, and whereof ye eat; (5) And wherein is beauty for you, when ye bring them home, and when ye take them out to pasture. (6) And they bear your loads for you unto a land ye could not reach save with great trouble to yourselves. Lo! your Lord is Full of Pity, Merciful. (7) And horses and mules and asses (hath He created) that ye may ride them, and for ornament. And He createth that which ye know not. (8) And Allah's is the direction of the way, and some (roads) go not straight. And had He willed He would have led you all aright. (9) He it is Who sendeth down water from the sky, whence ye have drink, and whence are trees on which ye send your beasts to pasture. (10) Therewith He causeth crops to grow for you, and the olive and the date-palm and grapes and all kinds of fruit. Lo! herein is indeed a portent for people who reflect. (11) And He hath constrained the night and the day and the sun and the moon to be of service unto you, and the stars are made subservient by His command. Lo! herein indeed are portents for people who have sense. (12) And whatsoever He hath created for you in the earth of divers hues, lo! therein is indeed a portent for people who take heed. (13) And He it is Who hath constrained the sea to be of service that ye eat fresh meat from thence, and bring forth from thence ornaments which ye wear. And thou seest the ships ploughing it that ye (mankind) may seek of His bounty and that haply ye may give thanks. (14) And He hath cast into the earth firm hills that it quake not with you, and streams and roads that ye may find a way. (15) And landmarks (too), and by the star they find a way. (16) Is He then Who createth as him who createth not? Will ye not then remember? (17) And if ye would count the favour of Allah ye cannot reckon it. Lo! Allah is indeed Forgiving, Merciful. (18) And Allah knoweth that which ye keep hidden and that which ye proclaim. (19) Those unto whom they cry beside Allah created naught, but are themselves created. (20) (They are) dead, not living. And they know not when they will be raised. (21) Your God is One God. But as for those who believe not in the Hereafter their hearts refuse to know, for they are proud. (22) Assuredly Allah knoweth that which they keep hidden and that which they proclaim. Lo! He loveth not the proud. (23) And when it is said unto them: What hath your Lord revealed? they say: (Mere) fables of the men of old, (24) That they may bear their burdens undiminished on the Day of Resurrection, with somewhat of the burdens of those whom they mislead without knowledge. Ah! evil is that which they bear! (25)

neves said:
What god is saying here is that when suns/stars explode… they form a red-rose-shaped explosion… god is also telling us that is a part of the things that will happen before the Day of Judgment…

Check this Image out at the NASA’s site….
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061112.html

Explosion of suns/stars cannot be seen with the naked eye… It also cannot be seen with regular telescopes… You need the special Government-owned and NASA-owned "Hubble Space" Super Telescope… The point from all of this is that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) could not have come up with any of this on his own 1500 years ago…
That picture of the cat's-eye nebula is a false-color image, neves. It's not really red.

The relevant part of the Sura that you quoted says: "(36) And when the heaven splitteth asunder and becometh rosy like red hide -"

Your interpretation: " What god is saying here is that when suns/stars explode… they form a red-rose-shaped explosion… "

But the original quote makes no mention of suns or stars. And, in fact, it's not even true that when suns/stars explode, they form a red-rose-shaped explosion...this supernova, for example, is not red nor does it look like a rose.

neves

That picture of the cat's-eye nebula is a false-color image, neves. It's not really red.

The relevant part of the Sura that you quoted says: "(36) And when the heaven splitteth asunder and becometh rosy like red hide -"

Your interpretation: " What god is saying here is that when suns/stars explode… they form a red-rose-shaped explosion… "

But the original quote makes no mention of suns or stars. And, in fact, it's not even true that when suns/stars explode, they form a red-rose-shaped explosion...this supernova, for example, is not red nor does it look like a rose.

Yes you make some pretty good points there... I should have said "before they explode"... yeah that was an X-ray image I believe... I also found this image of that nebula...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/NGC6543_concentric_rings_cropped.jpg

which has some red but less... but the flower shape is still there... stars are made up of different gases and such and each is probably unique in color when they are dying and throwing off gases... but having said that...who is to say our own star will not emit reddish colors when it’s about to give... also when the Quran says "Heaven" it means either the sky or the universe... since this includes our solar system I interpreted it to mean the sun since it has the most energy... but then again its just my interpretation and could mean something totally different... but I just wanted to open the idea up... It’s always good to see how strong your interpretations are...

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have to say that I'm very happy that there is resurgance of Scientific exploration going on in the Muslim world. They made so many vital advances in the past that one can only have the highest hopes for thier future.
I certenly learned about the early advances made in the Muslim world, in my history classes.

wa:do

neves

Al-Alaq (Chapter 96)

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Read: In the name of thy Lord Who createth, (1) Createth man from a clot. (2) Read: And thy Lord is the Most Bounteous, (3) Who teacheth by the pen, (4) Teacheth man that which he knew not. (5) Nay, but verily man is rebellious (6) That he thinketh himself independent! (7) Lo! unto thy Lord is the return. (8) Hast thou seen him who dissuadeth (9) A slave when he prayeth? (10) Hast thou seen if he relieth on the guidance (of Allah) (11) Or enjoineth piety? (12) Hast thou seen if he denieth (Allah's guidance) and is froward? (13) Is he then unaware that Allah seeth? (14) Nay, but if he cease not We will seize him by the forelock - (15) The lying, sinful forelock - (16) Then let him call upon his henchmen! (17) We will call the guards of hell. (18) Nay, Obey not thou him. But prostrate thyself, and draw near (unto Allah). (19)

Why did the Quran describe the front of the head as being lying and sinful…? Why didn’t the Quran say that the person was lying and sinful…? What is the relationship between the front of the head and lying and sinfulness…?

“Overall, it seemed to take more brain effort to tell the lie than to tell the truth, Faro found.
Lying caused activity in the frontal part of the brain --- the medial inferior and pre-central areas, as well as the hippocampus and middle temporal regions and the limbic areas. Some of these are involved in emotional responses, Faro said.
During a truthful response, the fMRI showed activation of parts of the brain's frontal lobe, temporal lobe and cingulate gyrus. “

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2004/11/65871

Also check out this PDF on a study done by The University of Pennsylvania…

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/trc/langleben/newday.pdf

So, this area of the cerebrum is responsible for planning, motivating, and initiating good and sinful behavior and is responsible for the telling of lies and the speaking of truth... Thus, it is proper to describe the front of the head as lying and sinful when someone lies or commits a sin, as the Quran has said…Also this has been only know by scientist for the past half century or so…

Orthodox

Born again apostate
The whole idea that these short and ambiguous phrases suggest there was ancient knowledge of what we have only discovered today through the most cutting edge science doesn't really cut it with me.

From the way in which these verses are deployed as solid evidence of the divine origin of the Qur'an (or the Bible on the occasion) one must assume that the above posters believe the verses were put there if not solely as evidence, at least with the knowledge that they would be used as such. In which case, why are things like the expansion of the universe (claimed by both Muslims and Christians to be spoken of in their holy books) or the nature of conception (claimed by muslims) afforded such a meagre word limit when it comes to their description? Surely, if they were supposed or expected to be used as evidence they would have been explained using clearer language. Do you really expect anyone to believe that labeling a forelock (a bit of hair growing on the forhead) 'lying' is actually a tacit reference to the frontal lobe and how it operates as an emotional centre for the brain. Come on! Couldn't Allah have been more anatomically precise! If the verse really meant to talk about the brain then wouldn't it have said "the lying front part of the brain wherein the emotional nexus of a mind can be found". That truly would indicate in depth knowledge about something far more advanced than the science current at the time of writing. It's the same story when one examines the suppoosed allusions to cosmic expansion, the water cycle, human conception etc.

There are two possible reasons why the verse didn't explain the neurological basis for lying in a more generous and sensible way.

1) Allah (who we assume exists for this explaination) didn't intend the verse to be used as evidence to convince non-believers. The verse was only meant to be believed by those who already believed in Islam and were prepared to use faith to leap the logically uncrossable gap between a lock of hair and complicated neurological science.

2) The verse describes nothing of the sort. It's simply another sentence with obscure meaning that proves an attractive receptacle for the pre-suppositions of people who already believe in the divine origin of the book and desperately seek evidence for it.

To extend the point: what are the odds about the whole of Islam anyway? When all the evidence is brought to the table - and with greater and greater certainty dissmissed - what are the odds that an arch-angel really did appear to an illiterate trader in a desert the better part of 1500 years ago? Quite slim in my honest opinion.

neves

You’re absolutely correct… It is all about how we perceive things and in what light we choose to look at it from… the information is there… It’s up to the individual... to believe what he encounters to be true… or to toss it aside… Free Will… isn’t it wondrous?

Orthodox

Born again apostate
True, free will is a great thing. But, what I was talking about was the factual basis for the idea that the Qur'an is divinely inspired. When all the evidence suggests it is simply a rambling text hardly displaying any great human inspiration, let alone any divine, 'percieving' it as divine in origin and perfect in all ways indicates more about our discomfort with the truth than anything else.

neves

True, free will is a great thing. But, what I was talking about was the factual basis for the idea that the Qur'an is divinely inspired. When all the evidence suggests it is simply a rambling text hardly displaying any great human inspiration, let alone any divine, 'percieving' it as divine in origin and perfect in all ways indicates more about our discomfort with the truth than anything else.

You have every right to have the perception of believing that the Quran is some rambling text… but how can you take the liberty of assuming that people who believe that the Quran is divinely inspired, are in discomfort with the truth…?... when did we human know all things…? …If you look back at history… this new scientific age has only been around for a millisecond relative to just human history… what makes you confident that we can assuredly say that we know everything that exist and how they work...?... We don’t even know why the moon is there… Yet some of us assume we know the ultimate truth… when did the scientific pursuit of truth end…? Tell me when you find the ultimate truth… then you can tell me that people who believe in the divine are in anxiety with the truth…