• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISIL, Taliban = True Islam??

ISIL, Taliban. Do they represent the correct interpretation of Islam in your opinion?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Azrael Antilla

I think this is where you're going wrong.

Science is manned by humans and they will always be wrong about some things; even if we use tried and tested methods we can still fudge them, as we see with a lot of medicine errors (such as the thalidomide scandal) and various sets of 'data' that have been cocked-up.

Interpretation can be faulty. Instrumental error can result in false data. Some scientists even fabricate data.

This all gets rectified thanks to the scientific method. Which demands that all conclusions are falsifiable and indepently verifiable.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Interpretation can be faulty. Instrumental error can result in false data. Some scientists even fabricate data.

This all gets rectified thanks to the scientific method. Which demands that all conclusions are falsifiable and indepently verifiable.

So how do you makes this fallible; "Unlike crappy religious narratives."? And independently verifiable?

Azrael Antilla

The scientific method is an empirical method of acquiring knowledge that has characterized the development of science since at least the 17th century (with notable practitioners in previous centuries). It involves careful observation, applying rigorous skepticism about what is observed, given that cognitive assumptions can distort how one interprets the observation. It involves formulating hypotheses, via induction, based on such observations; experimental and measurement-based testing of deductions drawn from the hypotheses; and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings. These are principles of the scientific method, as distinguished from a definitive series of steps applicable to all scientific enterprises.[1][2][3] Wikipedia

Hope this helps.

Azrael Antilla

Pretty much what I've said it is. Now if any one here thinks there is room for improvement. Don't hesitate to inform me right away.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The scientific method is an empirical method of acquiring knowledge that has characterized the development of science since at least the 17th century (with notable practitioners in previous centuries). It involves careful observation, applying rigorous skepticism about what is observed, given that cognitive assumptions can distort how one interprets the observation. It involves formulating hypotheses, via induction, based on such observations; experimental and measurement-based testing of deductions drawn from the hypotheses; and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings. These are principles of the scientific method, as distinguished from a definitive series of steps applicable to all scientific enterprises.[1][2][3] Wikipedia

Hope this helps.

Popper didn't use induction. So never trust wikipedia, unless you can do a base check yourself.

Science contrary to Augustus's claim. Is not wrong about anything... the method is not wrong. It is flawless. It is objective.

:flushed:

Sorry, really is the last one (I'll ignore the fact you are clearly misrepresenting me again).

Blind religious devotion indeed. "Flawless" :D "Objective" :D

If anything can be described as "anti-science", your statement is pretty close to it. Are you genuinely unaware of the subjectivities that many aspects of the sciences rely on? That theories/hypotheses being tested generally rely on other theories that are assumed? That unprovable axioms are required to underpin method?

Science may be the best tool we have to understand many aspects of reality, but its methods are neither flawless nor perfectly objective by any rational means.

Azrael Antilla

Popper didn't use induction. So never trust wikipedia, unless you can do a base check yourself.
Well I was a HPLC accredited chemical analyst for 12 years. There's that experience that tells me wiki has got it about right. Please provide any additional information that contradicts wiki.

Azrael Antilla

:flushed:

Sorry, really is the last one (I'll ignore the fact you are clearly misrepresenting me again).

Blind religious devotion indeed. "Flawless" :D "Objective" :D

If anything can be described as "anti-science", your statement is pretty close to it. Are you genuinely unaware of the subjectivities that many aspects of the sciences rely on? That theories being tested generally rely on other theories that are assumed? That unprovable axioms are required to underpin method?

Science may be the best tool we have to understand many aspects of reality, but its methods are neither flawless nor perfectly objective by any rational means.
Name a method of investigation more productive and more objective than the scientific method. Otherwise...yes. Relatively speaking. There is no better way. To understand the nature of reality.

Name a method of investigation more productive and more objective than the scientific method. Otherwise...

The best method our irrational species of animals with limited cognitive capacity, incomplete information and inbuilt biases has ≠ flawless, objective

Not rocket science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well I was a HPLC accredited chemical analyst for 12 years. There's that experience that tells me wiki has got it about right. Please provide any additional information that contradicts wiki.

Yeah, you can find it yourself. Just Google Karl Popper and understand what source to use. I found it. Now I am testing you.

Azrael Antilla

Are you genuinely unaware of the subjectivities that many aspects of the sciences rely on? That theories/hypotheses being tested generally rely on other theories that are assumed? That unprovable axioms are required to underpin method?
Utter nonsense. Please provide an example.