• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is your faith an acceptance thing?

kloth

all from my experience...

seems like some people who convert, do it to join a social group (i.e. to make friends), so they join a church or some form of religious group. because they seem to be the most accepting and inexpensive type groups, even if not perfect all the time.

or if they don't join and/or don't want a social life at all, then it seems like they lean towards following a deity for the sake of having someone who is proud of them, admires their ways, etc. someone that keeps them striving and living up to someone else's expectations. kind of like an invisible friend for adults, rather than being completely alone all the time.

I wonder if these two aspects are a bad idea for followers.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, I think they're certainly not the best ideas. One can lead to insincerity in belief, the other can lead to disappointment when expecting too much, if anything, from the deity. The Kingdom of God, Brahman, the Pure Land of Amitabha, or whatever you want to call it, is inside you, not somewhere else.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

seems like some people who convert, do it to join a social group (i.e. to make friends), so they join a church or some form of religious group. because they seem to be the most accepting and inexpensive type groups, even if not perfect all the time.

or if they don't join and/or don't want a social life at all, then it seems like they lean towards following a deity for the sake of having someone who is proud of them, admires their ways, etc. someone that keeps them striving and living up to someone else's expectations. kind of like an invisible friend for adults, rather than being completely alone all the time.

I agree with your observations, but I do think it's not necessarily the best way. At some point your beliefs, once you discover them, will catch up to you. Then where are you? With people you disagree with?

Last edited:

ametist

Not at all. Actually, this is the only reason to convert. To make friends.
Because without friends you can not learn to love them. The larger the group of your friends, the larger the possibility you will exercise your limits to the love of friends. a tough thing but should be tried in case this might be your last chance. The fact that most people choose to belong to 'small' groups like christianity or islam is a blessing for the individual though since there are pretty bizzare religious groups fewer in number and greater in spiritual desire as well. :)

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

I agree for the most part which is one of many reasons modern popular religions can be pretty unhealthy from a psychological perspective.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I have long suspected that community is one of the predominant reasons that many people have for belonging to a religion. However, I also think that a significant number of people -- albeit likely a minority -- are more interested in the religion itself -- specifically, its ideas -- than they are in any community they gain from it.

kloth

your experience sounds very limited
how would you know if yours is limited? not saying it is, but...

Yes, I think they're certainly not the best ideas. One can lead to insincerity in belief, the other can lead to disappointment when expecting too much, if anything, from the deity. The Kingdom of God, Brahman, the Pure Land of Amitabha, or whatever you want to call it, is inside you, not somewhere else.
I often wonder how many people took it out on the religion or god, when the social expectation of church failed their expectations.

I agree with your observations, but I do think it's not necessarily the best way. At some point your beliefs, once you discover them, will catch up to you. Then where are you? With people you disagree with?
what I said to Jainarayan

Not at all. Actually, this is the only reason to convert. To make friends.
Because without friends you can not learn to love them. The larger the group of your friends, the larger the possibility you will exercise your limits to the love of friends. a tough thing but should be tried in case this might be your last chance. The fact that most people choose to belong to 'small' groups like christianity or islam is a blessing for the individual though since there are pretty bizzare religious groups fewer in number and greater in spiritual desire as well. :)
I thought the reason was to get closer or find god?

I agree for the most part which is one of many reasons modern popular religions can be pretty unhealthy from a psychological perspective.
Jim Morrison once said, and I quote.....well I forget what he said. but thanks for the reply either way.

I have long suspected that community is one of the predominant reasons that many people have for belonging to a religion. However, I also think that a significant number of people -- albeit likely a minority -- are more interested in the religion itself -- specifically, its ideas -- than they are in any community they gain from it.
may depend on where you live on this planet.

Tumah

Veteran Member
is your faith an acceptance thing?

Really. In the future, try to think how someone who isn't socially inept might phrase the title of your thread and then try to phrase it accordingly.
Really.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Neither of them are bad reasons to convert as long as they turn out useful to the converter.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sometimes, yes. Often no.

No.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't "convert" to my religion for either of these reasons (and I have a list of reasons; neither of those is on my list), but I would definitely not consider it to be "bad" for those that do. Humans are social animals. Near as I can see it, those to reasons are just an extension of that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I often wonder how many people took it out on the religion or god, when the social expectation of church failed their expectations.

*raises hand* Several times in my life I was angry with God and the gods for that very reason. I think it's very common, jmo.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
your experience sounds very limited

my sentiments exactly.....

I just want to believe the truth to the best that I can understand it.....What happens to me personally does not change truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

That would seem rather immature, in my opinion, but I've never walked in those shoes, nor seen people who've done that. It could well be that quite a few did that.

kloth

That would seem rather immature, in my opinion, but I've never walked in those shoes, nor seen people who've done that. It could well be that quite a few did that.
it does seem immature, I guess that's why most adults I assume do it for those reasons.

*raises hand* Several times in my life I was angry with God and the gods for that very reason. I think it's very common, jmo.
I assume it's common, even if other people have never seen this, or noticed it.

Really. In the future, try to think how someone who isn't socially inept might phrase the title of your thread and then try to phrase it accordingly.
Really.
I don't understand what you are saying. but thanks anyway.

Neither of them are bad reasons to convert as long as they turn out useful to the converter.
doesn't it seem like blind faith in a way though.