• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Unitarian Universalism the perfect religion?

Thana

Lady
...... except in UU'ism. :)

In Unitarian Universalism we are encouraged to liberally seek God as we find him; to take our own spiritual journey. We sit in a congregation, where someone like myself, who primarily holds Dharmic beliefs, can sit next to a fellow UUist who may believe in 90% of Christian tenets, let's say apart from the Trinity or another aspect.

So to go back to my topic title - Is UU'ism not the perfect religion?.... because it is wholly syncretic; you can take inspiration from every religion or spiritual practice and build your own set of practices that suit your true beliefs perfectly.

I was wondering what others thought of this?

UU'ists are a tiny group in the world. Why do so few people take the logical route to 'designing their own religion' though UU'ism? .......... Do you see it as somehow 'cheating'? ......... Are UU'ists just Deists by another name?

I'd love to hear people's views on this. :)

If we could live in a perfect world, We would.
If we could have everything be perfect, It would be perfect.

But we can't, Though that won't stop us from trying to create a Utopian world, Or a religion that can be anything.

Who can follow with a religion that is not constant, That can be anything. That somewhat steals all the 'good parts' of other religions, And pervert it with human ideals and other religious ideals.

You become your own God, Creating your own religion. Each individual gets their own.
The world doesn't work that way, Why should one expect religion too or even a God or Gods too?

I'm pretty sure most religions are clear when they say our God is the only God. Don't worship any others, Yet UU's do that regardless.

Anyway,
It's by no means perfect.
To me, It's actually the opposite.

But as I like to say, To each their own.
If it suits you, Then I'm not going to criticize your decision.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Here's my theory as to why it could be:- :)

As such complex individuals as we humans are, it seems that we have differing views, opinions and perceptions, down to the finest nuances.

Therefore on our spiritual and/or religious journey, if we are truly open minded and we seek for ourselves (as opposed to practicing a religion because out parents did, and their parents did), then it figures that perhaps we would find it difficult to agree and match our beliefs with every aspect of a given established religion.

I used to call myself a Christian because I believe in God and many of the teachings of Jesus but I was never sure in my heart whether I believed Jesus was the true son of God. I also decided very early on that I did not believe in much of the Bible, and did not believe it was the word of God (like many liberal Christians as I was then, I struggled to even want to know, much less love, the God in the Old Testament).

In Buddhism, I found a spiritual home for a long time; but I struggle to understand quite where the 'no self' stuff is really going if I'm honest. If I could combine Buddhism's teaching and practices with Hinduism's approach to Brahman, I would have been very happy - that would be close to my perfect religion, as I do believe in a single God that is in everything, very much a la the Brahman viewpoint.

Anyway, to get back on track, my point is, in all of the established, dogmatic religions, there are likely to be aspects that we struggle with, in terms of our belief, or faith.

In Unitarian Universalism we are encouraged to liberally seek God as we find him; to take our own spiritual journey. We sit in a congregation, where someone like myself, who primarily holds Dharmic beliefs, can sit next to a fellow UUist who may believe in 90% of Christian tenets, let's say apart from the Trinity or another aspect.

So to go back to my topic title - Is UU'ism not the perfect religion?.... because it is wholly syncretic; you can take inspiration from every religion or spiritual practice and build your own set of practices that suit your true beliefs perfectly.

UU'ists are a tiny group in the world. Why do so few people take the logical route to 'designing their own religion' though UU'ism? .......... Do you see it as somehow 'cheating'? ......... Are UU'ists just Deists by another name?

I believe this serves as a prime example of why UU is not the perfect religion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
OK, now everyone is invited to the party. While I don't believe any faith is perfect, UU's come very close being inclusive and welcoming to just about everyone.

I like this very much and enjoy seeing more folks become spiritual and enjoy fellowship with one another with mutual respect.

I figure one might as well invite Hitler and Manson to be members as well since inclusiveness is the criteria.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Definitely different from congregation to congregation as I travel and move.
Generally quirky.

There when I needed it for 4 years. I was very involved, up to even sitting on the board.

Eventually I feel I saw that even UUism had it's confines... and that perhaps paradoxically is still pretty UU after all. But seriously, I feel it brought me back on a return path of sorts, although the UU church time was about a quarter of the way around the wheel.

And now here I am today.

Strangely... just went to my first UU service since 2011 here is Halifax.

It was okay.

I attended a UU once. The speaker railed against Pat Robertson and I like Pat. I felt as though I were in enemy territory and I needed to leave while I still had my skin intact.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I remember once having a discussion with a very intelligent lady here on RF who was saying that, as a UU, part of her mission was to talk "truth to power". Mkay, so far, so good, I suppose. Then she went on a bit of how UU's fight intolerance wherever they find it. On the surface, this sounded fine and dandy... but something about it just didn't feel right. What hit me later was that what she was saying was that, as a UU, she was comfortable being intolerant of intolerance... which put her and her friends directly into the enemy camp. It's hard to fight a problem that you are part of.

I well remember the deafening silence when I pointedly asked, "Isn't being intolerant of intolerance, simply intolerance?"

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I figure one might as well invite Hitler and Manson to be members as well since inclusiveness is the criteria.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I had a UU girlfriend once.

She invited me to her church, I went and decided it was not for me. She broke off the relationship as soon as I told her.

Individual practice is what is important not the religion. Yes the UU gives you more of a choice but its still how the individual uses that choice.

Each religion can be the perfect religion if practiced right.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
She invited me to her church, I went and decided it was not for me. She broke off the relationship as soon as I told her.
How incredibly tolerant of her. :D So, in essence, she wasn't interested in a serious relationship, she was just looking for a new goldfish.

Erebus

While it's admirable that the UU seeks to be inclusive, the simple truth of the matter is that they can't be both fully inclusive and maintain a set of goals and ideals. The reason I myself wouldn't want to join is simply that the objectives of UU run counter to my own and as such I would never truly gel with it.

I went into this in more detail on another thread some time ago along with various LHPers. It's an old thread but might make for interesting reading along with going some way to explaining how UU won't and indeed can't include everybody.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/left-hand-path-religions-dir/94455-point-interest.html

nazz

Doubting Thomas
While it's admirable that the UU seeks to be inclusive, the simple truth of the matter is that they can't be both fully inclusive and maintain a set of goals and ideals. The reason I myself wouldn't want to join is simply that the objectives of UU run counter to my own and as such I would never truly gel with it.

I went into this in more detail on another thread some time ago along with various LHPers. It's an old thread but might make for interesting reading along with going some way to explaining how UU won't and indeed can't include everybody.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/left-hand-path-religions-dir/94455-point-interest.html

Didn't read that thread but your comment reminded me of something. I used to be pretty involved with the Sufi community that had a univeralist outlook. There was something held called a Universal Worship Service and candles were lit to represent the world's great religions. The son of the worship leader once asked her why there was no candle for Satanism? So much for inclusiveness, something of a pipe dream I suppose.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Here's my theory as to why it could be:- :)

As such complex individuals as we humans are, it seems that we have differing views, opinions and perceptions, down to the finest nuances.

Therefore on our spiritual and/or religious journey, if we are truly open minded and we seek for ourselves (as opposed to practicing a religion because out parents did, and their parents did), then it figures that perhaps we would find it difficult to agree and match our beliefs with every aspect of a given established religion.

I used to call myself a Christian because I believe in God and many of the teachings of Jesus but I was never sure in my heart whether I believed Jesus was the true son of God. I also decided very early on that I did not believe in much of the Bible, and did not believe it was the word of God (like many liberal Christians as I was then, I struggled to even want to know, much less love, the God in the Old Testament).

In Buddhism, I found a spiritual home for a long time; but I struggle to understand quite where the 'no self' stuff is really going if I'm honest. If I could combine Buddhism's teaching and practices with Hinduism's approach to Brahman, I would have been very happy - that would be close to my perfect religion, as I do believe in a single God that is in everything, very much a la the Brahman viewpoint.

Anyway, to get back on track, my point is, in all of the established, dogmatic religions, there are likely to be aspects that we struggle with, in terms of our belief, or faith.

In a lot of ways UU isn't a religion. In many ways it is. I am technically a UU as my wife takes me to the meetings and I participate in the community. However I am an atheist and everyone knows that and most of them accept that. And unless the UU I have attended is strange or abnormal isn't it true there are no set beliefs?

Jesus says love your enemies as yourself. Do good to them despite fully use you. Turn the other cheek. I never saw an exception for Hitler or Manson in the words of Jesus.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I love that people of different faiths can worship together in their own way but still love and respect each other. That is very powerful.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
If there is a creed in UU or a dogma of any kind then to me it does not qualify as being the perfect religion since no religion can be perfect or meet the qualifications to satisfy anybody.

Individuality is what must be expressed and when it comes to man and god any religion no matter how liberating it is will only serve as a buffer for spiritual progression.

UU comes close to being perfect but it is a religion and by default cannot be perfect.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I'll be the first to say that UU is like any other Path.
It's not perfect, and it has it's pit-falls.

No definition of 'inclusive' that I know of entails 'total acceptance'.

"Open to All" means something different to me.

Those people are allowed to attend, and exchange ideas...
That is inclusiveness.

I don't see these people jumping on the service projects of the Church.
Although they would likely still be asked to participate,
and share in the mission of the principles.

If these types of people would be espousing some of their harmful ideas through/as the church, no doubt a discussion between them and the minister would transpire.

I attended a UU once. The speaker railed against Pat Robertson and I like Pat. I felt as though I were in enemy territory and I needed to leave while I still had my skin intact.

I have to say, in my many years of attending UU worship that I've never heard a sermon railing against people, especially a specific person,
and I'm saddened to know this is your one experience.

I've certainly heard people talk about ideas they believe are counterproductive to UU values and principles,
and even going as far to say that they feel counterproductive to 'people of faith'....

But I won't say that I don't think it's possible.

Again I say.... It's not perfect. But I do genuinely believe it's a religion.

Last edited:

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
No definition of 'inclusive' that I know of entails 'total acceptance'.

"Open to All" means something different to me.

Those people are allowed to attend, and exchange ideas...
That is inclusiveness.

:) I think the popular belief is that inclusiveness is just a passive way of saying : everybody's welcome! But like you said, it's more an exchange. So to me inclusiveness is active and reflective.

It's the goal of finding common ground and priority values without beefing too restrictive. It's a nice balance between togetherness and diversity.

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
why there was no candle for Satanism? So much for inclusiveness, something of a pipe dream I suppose.

Unfortunately true. I think that's because people perceive satanism as an "antagonist religion". However I think it would fit in the UU since satanism values critical thinking and use of reason. So it's good old stereotypes.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have to say, in my many years of attending UU worship that I've never heard a sermon railing against people, especially a specific person,
and I'm saddened to know this is your one experience.

I agree.

I've been to a handful of UU congregations each a handful of times. The most "quintessentially UU" experience I remember from all of them is when they brought the kids down to the front and had them sing the chorus to a song about commonalities between people. The kids' part was the line "Peace, Salaam, Shalom" repeated several times. Looking back, that's UU in a nutshell for me... or the UU I experienced, anyhow.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus says love your enemies as yourself. Do good to them despite fully use you. Turn the other cheek. I never saw an exception for Hitler or Manson in the words of Jesus.

Perhaps but Jesus didn't invite one Pharisee to be an apostle. Jesus did accept the ones coming to Him with questions that indicated that they were seeking truth but the others He called a brood of vipers.