• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trump's credibility finally sunk?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The worst mistakes we those made once Hitler had power, started acting in a very aggressive manner and violating treaties, and the Western powers pretty much turned a blind eye to it, except to say "now, now, Mr. Hitler....We like you and all, but you need to be nice...this paper says so." So Hitler kept at it. The mistake was the decision to not act.

That's not exactly what was said, and it doesn't really refute the point I made. The Western powers were in the situation they were in primarily because they neglected their own national defense while trying to maintain large bloated empires. They were in a position where they had to buy time. The Locarno Pact was also considered an early stage of appeasement, and that was in 1926, 7 years before the rise of Hitler.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's not exactly what was said,
Obviously not. But, in a nut shell satirical way, it's what the other Western powers said.
The Western powers were in the situation they were in primarily because they neglected their own national defense
While that is true, the West let Hitler build his army up and they did nothing. They expanded, and expanded again and again, and nothing was done. And then eventually they came knocking on France's door and sending England some air deliveries. In all reality, for the longest time Stalin was the only one trying to do anything about him.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Obviously not. But, in a nut shell satirical way, it's what the other Western powers said.

While that is true, the West let Hitler build his army up and they did nothing. They expanded, and expanded again and again, and nothing was done. And then eventually they came knocking on France's door and sending England some air deliveries. In all reality, for the longest time Stalin was the only one trying to do anything about him.

True enough, but I don't see how any of this refutes what I said earlier. Suffice to say that we both agree that the West made bad mistakes both before and after Hitler's rise to power. I would still maintain that the worst mistakes made by the West were the ones that caused Hitler to come to power - before he came to power. Once Hitler was in power, it was already too late.

If you still maintain that the West's worse mistakes were after Hitler's rise to power, then okay. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective. I don't even agree with the comparison of Hitler to Putin anyway. But the bottom line here is that the West tends to screw these things up primarily out of a myopia and ignorance.

Akivah

Especially in the blue-collar and rural areas.

Just prior to the election, my wife & I went and visited our son who lives in farm country here in Michigan, and literally all we saw were Trump/Pense signs.

I think a large reason why so many voted for Trump is for what I have called a "societal temper-tantrum", largely because of stagnant wages and uncertainty about the future, especially for their kids. Here in the "rust belt", it's getting harder and harder to get good-paying jobs with decent benefits, and this trend has been going on for over three decades now.

So, along comes Trump with his bellicose and simplistic "solutions", and so many bought into it. But realistically, he's not gonna be the "solution", but it's going to take a while for that fact to sink in, although some already are showing signs of buyer's remorse (latest poll shows his approval rating at 37%, which is the lowest ever recorded for a president on two months into office).

Anyhow, this is how I see it.

Your viewpoint is to hold yourself intellectually superior to anyone that made a different choice than you. I think its simplistic on your part to simply label Trump supporters as having tempter-tantrums and as being deluded. This approach dismisses the large concerns that people had with Clinton's abilities. A large number of people obviously didn't believe that Clinton's solutions were better than Trump's.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Your viewpoint is to hold yourself intellectually superior to anyone that made a different choice than you.

I think its simplistic on your part to simply label Trump supporters as having tempter-tantrums and as being deluded.
You obviously didn't read my post carefully enough because I hedged my words ("so many", used twice; "some" used once). One of the cardinal rules for myself is to not to stereotype people, so maybe let me know if you ever see me doing that.

I also gave reasons why so many voted for Trump based on real reasons (see 3rd paragraph), so how did you manage to miss that?

Therefore, let me recommend you actually go back and read what I actually wrote.

This approach dismisses the large concerns that people had with Clinton's abilities.
I never denied that and, if you were to remember correctly, I stated that I voted for Bernie, not Hillary, in the primary, plus I planned to vote 3rd party (Stein) as a protest vote until the polls narrowed. Also, I have repeated said here on numerous posts that I have never been a Hillary fan.

So, please do me a favor and reread what I actually wrote, OK?