• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any religious argument that actually stands when scrutinized with reason?

Theunis

Will you make the argument that Dever believes Moses was a real person?

Please do.

Let's see your support for that claim.
Why should I do so when Dever has already said it could be historical memories which does not imply factual memories. Are you attempting that I should place words in Dever's mouth that he never utterred. Sis on you.

prometheus11

Why should I do so when Dever has already said it could be historical memories which does not imply factual memories. Are you attempting that I should place words in Dever's mouth that he never utterred. Sis on you.

Nope.

I'm saying that his professional opinion is clear. You are debating as if it isn't on this one case simply because he doesn't directly state what he generally states. Why are you hanging on to this argument if Dever obviously isn't going to make the opposite claim than his general one?

Theunis

Nope.

I'm saying that his professional opinion is clear. You are debating as if it isn't on this one case simply because he doesn't directly state what he generally states. Why are you hanging on to this argument if Dever obviously isn't going to make the opposite claim than his general one?
So in that case you are merely trying to bait me with irrelevancies.

If you view some of his lectures he does say one must be open-minded. Open mindedness has nothing to do with Moshe or the subject to hand. I merely stated I agree with some things he says and that he is open-minded.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I say an authoritive discussion needs authority.....
God has laid claim to.....I AM!.....and they that understand know the discussion....

prometheus11

So in that case you are merely trying to bait me with irrelevancies.

If you view some of his lectures he does say one must be open-minded. Open mindedness has nothing to do with Moshe or the subject to hand. I merely stated I agree with some things he says and that he is open-minded.

Nope. You misunderstand. My point, they I clearly made, was that just because he didn't state those exact words doesn't mean he thinks differently. Yet you keep pressing the point. Therefore, it must be important to you. If it's important, then you must feel some sort of vindication that he has a different opinion of Moses than his general sentiment.

His open mindedness isn't relevant.

outhouse

Atheistically
Why should I do so when Dever has already said it could be historical memories which does not imply factual memories.

He was talking about the biblical study in general fro a few different so called prophets not being specific about moses alone.

His specific comments about Moses are not up fro debate because you don't like them.

If you cannot supply a credible link and source in context, then you have nothing to debate.

Shad

Veteran Member
He can believe whatever he wishes but a belief only remains a belief and as he can only guess and use conjecture without concrete proof what he believes is not a proven fact. (yet for him it could be a case of - as you believe so it will be unto you. i.e to him it becomes a fact)

Yet you claimed something he didn't say. That was my point. He has evidence to support his conclusion, you don't. He has evidence that directly contradicts the biblical accounts.

muhammad_isa

"Here it states clearly islam took biblical mythology of moses and abraham and used in their own name. The definition of plagiarized mythology.

You're boring and repetitive .. it's already been explained to you that 'biblical mythology' might be true .. you only believe it to be false.

.if it is true, then it would NOT be plagiarized so your conclusion is TOTALLY WRONG..
.. MIGHT be plagiarised. You have no evidence that Muhammad, peace be with him, was a fraud, pretending to have revelations .. you only believe that Abrahamic scriptures are ALL untrue and copied and added to, one to another.

One day we will see who's conclusions are more reasonable :D

You carry on telling yourself that you know all history of mankind CATEGORICALLY .. I've seen religious people doing the same thing .. they know it all .. it's black & white.

BAH! Nobody knows all but Almighty God!

muhammad_isa

We already know these events did not take place as written..
We see many things correct, and we see some historical cores to the mythology.

You carry on telling yourself that you know all history of mankind CATEGORICALLY .. I've seen religious people doing the same thing .. they know it all .. knowledge of God is black & white.

BAH! Nobody knows all but Almighty God!

outhouse

Atheistically
You carry on telling yourself that you know all history of mankind CATEGORICALLY ..

I do not know it all.

But I do study what is known with certainty, instead of telling everyone my faith determines history like so many theist do in factual error.

.. I've seen religious people doing the same thing .. they know it all

Why would you be any different? credible evidence wont change your faith will it?.

knowledge of God is black & white.

No it is factually not.

Study is required.

Nobody knows all but Almighty God!

No. Historians know history because they use facts and credible evidence to determine what happened in the past.

Most theist use mythology to determine the past.

muhammad_isa

I do not know it all.
credible evidence wont change your faith will it?.
Of course! Your argument about historical method is is not credible evidence and is very similar to the one about 'scientific method' .. black & white conclusions .. credit others with intelligence as well as yourself .. many theists are also graduates, and don't ALL have 'inherited religions' .. they make different conclusions to you .. that's all.
A broad knowledge/education is vital to being a complete person :)

outhouse

Atheistically
many theists are also graduates, and don't ALL have 'inherited religions' .. they make different conclusions to you .. that's all.

And the most educated theist all agree with me on this.

There is no debate here. Israelites used and write mythology. Its not my fault ancient men copied it. And modern men refuse knowldge

A broad knowledge/education is vital to being a complete person :)

Your arguing against this

gnostic

The Lost One
If any religion require me to believe in the absurdities of man being able able to converse with animals, like (Eve with) a serpent (Genesis 3), (Balaam with) a donkey (Numbers 22), or (Solomon) with birds and ants (Qur'an 27), then those scriptures are not at all rational.

muhammad_isa

There is no debate here.

No .. no reasonable debate from you, in any case..

Your arguing against this

No .. you're just 'blinkered' .. you assume believers read scripture and take it as history without using their brains. You use yours, and I'll use mine .. I would not like 'a brain transplant'.

..comes to that I wouldn't agree to a heart transplant, either. I am me, and want to stay that way :D