• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any religious argument that actually stands when scrutinized with reason?

cambridge79

In all these years debating with religious people I ve never been faced with an argument that I ended up to find challenging or hard to dismantle. They go from the clever ones to nonsense one ( like "cause I feel it in my heart" ) to the most stupid and elementary ones ( like the classic "what if you're wrong" ) but in the end they always can be rejected by use of reason and logic (even if they usually find unsatisfactory those answers cause they dont praise reason and logic ). Maybe I ve been unlucky and found only weak debaters. So my question is both to religious and not religious people

To non believers I ask, Have you ever faced an argument that really represented a challenge for you or that you weren't able to dismantle?

To believers I ask, is there an argument that you think you can present and that no unbeliever has ever been able to provide a good answer to? ( assuming it wasn't only because you would reject every possible explanation going against your faith, like for example creationists rejecting all the arguments against Noah s ark )

Last edited:

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
In all these years debating with religious people I ve never been faced with an argument that I ended up to find challenging or hard to dismantle. They go from the clever ones to the most stupid and elementary ones ( like the classic "what if you're wrong" ) but in the end they always can be rejected by use of reason and logic. Maybe I ve been unlucky and found only weak debaters. So my question is both to religious and not religious people

The sad issue with logic is that people seem to think they can justify their own with subjective reasoning.
That is not restricted to religious debates, but it is found there most often it seems.
To non believers I ask, Have you ever faced an argument that really represented a challenge for you or that you weren't able to dismantle?
I've yet to really be challenged myself, however, I've only been at this for three years so who knows.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In all these years debating with religious people I ve never been faced with an argument that I ended up to find challenging or hard to dismantle. They go from the clever ones to nonsense one ( like "cause I feel it in my heart" ) to the most stupid and elementary ones ( like the classic "what if you're wrong" ) but in the end they always can be rejected by use of reason and logic (even if they usually find unsatisfactory those answers cause they dont praise reason and logic ). Maybe I ve been unlucky and found only weak debaters. So my question is both to religious and not religious people

To believers I ask, is there an argument that you think you can present and that no unbeliever has ever been able to provide a good answer to? ( assuming it wasn't only because you would reject every possible explanation going against your faith, like for example creationists rejecting all the arguments against Noah s ark )

It kinda depends on where you draw the line on religion or theism, I find.
Deists and panentheists are borderline impossible to argue with, although I've never been particularly disposed to in any case.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Noticed the new avatar. Are you still catholic?
That skeleton is from the Roman catacombs and is actually in a Catholic parish in Switzerland. It's supposed to be St. Pancratius.

And, no - I'm not really a Catholic, but I am a Christian of sorts, among other things. Why does it matter what I identify as?

David1967

Premium Member
[QUOTE"lewisnotmiller, post: 4546628, member: 43857"]It kinda depends on where you draw the line on religion or theism, I find.
Deists and panentheists are borderline impossible to argue with, although I've never been particularly disposed to in any case.[/QUOTE]
Maybe Its just that as I've gotten older I'm less Inclined to or disposed to, argue with anyone about their belief. I do however have a healthy curiosity about different belief systems.

David1967

Premium Member
Saint FrankenstDoesn't most: 4546632 said:
That skeleton is from the Roman catacombs and is actually in a Catholic parish in Switzerland. It's supposed to be St. Pancratius.

And, no - I'm not really a Catholic, but I am a Christian of sorts, among other things. Why does it matter what I identify as?
Interesting. And nope. Doesnt matter to me at all what you identify yourself as. I was simply curious.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
About the existence of god of a particular religion or about the correctness of a particular religion

Like yhwh exists because..... or islam is the true religion because.....
Arguments about the existence of deities are non-starters, because existence is not even a religiously useful attribute for any deity.

Religions, however, may and should be evaluated by several criteria, correctness certainly being one of those. Evaluated by adherents perhaps most of all, but also by non-believers.

That however is a judgement of merit, not of "truth". Religions are true because they exist, and they may or may not be worthwhile.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
About the existence of god of a particular religion or about the correctness of a particular religion

Like yhwh exists because..... or islam is the true religion because.....
Personally, I don't find discussions of the above examples to be particularly compelling to begin with. It's pretty low hanging fruit.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
All religions, being faith based, do not, by the nature of faith, lend themselves
well to arguments using logic and reason.
Most religious debates usually end with "well because I believe it". Case closed.
Meaning of Scripture by scientific interpretation of ancient language can be debated by logic, reason, and fact.
Questions like "is there a real God? , and did Jesus really exist ?", are articles of faith.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Let's see...

-Meditation has been scientifically proven to be beneficial to mental health, IIRC.
-A sense of cultural unity within a group is generally a good thing because it ensures survival of said group, and shared rituals can help foster this.
-Dawn will always return. (At far as humans living on Earth's surface will ever be concerned.)

...or do these not count as "religious arguments" because they're not central to Christianity? Or make much in the way of reference to stories?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe Its just that as I've gotten older I'm less Inclined to or disposed to, argue with anyone about their belief. I do however have a healthy curiosity about different belief systems.

To a degree, that's where I find myself too.
I'm happy to give people plenty of space for their own personal beliefs, and see no need to try and 'pick them apart'.
I like to understand them because;
1) Some beliefs do impact or even harm me and mine
2) Some beliefs can add to my worldview, regardless of my views on their religiosity
3) I'm a curious bugger, particularly when it comes to social psychology

But a lot of beliefs don't really fit into any of those categories, and I see no need to needle them.

Laika

Premium Member

As a nonbeliver, I have come to accept that historically religion was built on reason and evidence, but a very different set of propositions about how that evidence is organised. You see, the problem is that when you try to tell why someone believes what they believe, you get tied up with the problem is less about evidence, than the interpetation of the evidence. We have come to assume that "reason" necessarily looks for naturalistic explanations to phenemeona (at least first) and uses science to establish the nature of the world as a product of natural phenemeona. This however, does not consistently hold up to examination and you start getting "mystical" ideas when you dealing with things that are 'too big' (the big bang), 'too small' (quantum mechanics), or too long ago to be directly observable. it is when you are dealing with these "unobservables" that we start to project things on to them and creates 'gods' possessing a will and consciousness. Our "reason" is the product of millennia of intellectual evolution and so is not an absolute standard by which to dismiss religious belief.

for example. say for a moment that you said you couldn't trust your teachers and you had to prove that the world is round using only you own senses. that's actually pretty hard because you look at the horizion, and the immediate vicinity would seem to imply that the world is flat. It is only when you travel beyond the horizion that you get to a point where you cannot see where you have come from or where you are going. that gives you a hint. So if you think about someone who was asking the same question thousands of years ago, from a position of ignorance, you can see how they may have arrived at the idea that the earth was a flat disc based on the horizon. we take an awful lot of information for granted, so religion wasn't "stupid" or "illogical", it was a way of seeing the world before the scientific method became distinct from philosophy (in the late 19th and ealry 20th century- which is still very recent in terms of human history). recognising this evolution shows that it is important not to assume that reason provides an absolute standard of the world because of how dependent we are on the accumulated knowledge of the past and how that knowledge changes. the obvious question is whether that increasing knowledge marks a progress away from religion as a superstition. As I said, I'm a nonbeliever, so you can guess my answer to that. :D