• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a resource of Athe(ism)?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I do not understand your meaning. Are there official books of atheism telling you how not to believe? No, those do not exist. Are there resources, such as organizations that will help fellow atheists, yes, but their help is mainly moral support.
Yet another way that "Athei"s have no resources, it is for this that they are worried about their off-spring as to how to guide them, please. Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Lol, the revised and updated list of fantasy characters to avoid the danger of believing them.

Or a compendium of logical arguments to defend the faith.

I don't know who the leading atheist is but I think most atheists find God inconceivable and they'd have to do serious, and intense mental gymnastics in order to believe in God and they still wouldn't be able to.

As for me I hold out for a God based on two arguments. I see life as a great mystery.

I don't see much truth in many religions and there are falsehoods in all of them.

At best there might be a low level God like reality. But to conceive of how such reality exists is beyond me.

Nevertheless you would hope that atheists do have logical arguments against the existence of God because it is a claim.

I have seen books about how to be an atheist though.
Sorry, I have never seen the "none"s to give any single reasonable argument favoring their ism or "none"ianity, please. Right?

Regards

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The 'resource' atheists have is their own brain. They look at the evidence given by theists and are not convinced they are correct.

For your information, atheism goes much farther back than just the 16th century. There were ancient Greek atheists in the 5th century BC.

May I ask why you resurrected a dead thread?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I have never seen the "none"s to give any single reasonable argument favoring their ism or "none"ianity, please. Right?

Regards

And I have not seen any theists give any convincing argument favoring their belief. That is why I am an atheist.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

Regards

If you had no scriptures what would you make of Theism? Or, If you never heard of the God concept what would you rely on for information about reality?

A lot of words are only general meanings, and anyone could write a scripture. Who's to stop one from interpreting your scriptures differently than you do? And what makes your interpretation correct that you may believe God exists?

Love is a general term for affection, but it could mean many other things then that. So too scriptures have no one interpretation that everyone can agree on. So I see no special knowledge coming from them.

I've not seen any good arguments for God, no.

As for atheism it's a default position for so many reasons. And one is what makes pre scripture people less important than those who have scripture?

There's more questions then there are any answers for scripture.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yet another way that "Athei"s have no resources, it is for this that they are worried about their off-spring as to how to guide them, please. Right?

Regards
Why would anyone need resources for a lack of belief? You are not making any sense at all.

Do you have a resource telling you not to believe in the Loch Ness Monster? I might want to read that.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think so, please. Right?

Regard
There are various authors challenging specific forms of theism to some extent or another (mainly Abrahamic ones, for reasons that ought to be self-evident).

They won't necessarily converge much at all, and in fact rarely do.

That, too, should be expected. Atheism is not nearly as much of an intentional effort as theism is. For all the insistence of the some to the contrary, ultimately atheism is rather amorphous and directionless and requires next to nothing to exist in the first place.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why would anyone need resources for a lack of belief? You are not making any sense at all.

Do you have a resource telling you not to believe in the Loch Ness Monster? I might want to read that.
@paarsurrey brings a Muslim perspective with him. He has been taught to take for granted that belief in Allah is the natural state of people.

Most Muslims have a hard time understanding the nature of atheism and expect it to be a deliberate effort, even a full-blown ideology.

Mainly because if it isn't then the Qur'an becomes very hard to take seriously.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yet another way that "Atheists have no resources, it is for this that they are worried about their off-spring as to how to guide them, please. Right?
No. Atheist do not teach their children to be athiests.
My children are theists. Just as I do not care about you being a theist, I also do not care about my children being theists. I also got to atheism late in life. For half my life, I was a vacillating theist.
If they are intelligent and courageous enough, in time, they will abandon their theist beliefs. If they are not intelligent and courageous, they will continue as theists.
Atheism is not something which is taught. It is something which is realized, an enlightenment. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is another way of saying that the "none"s have no resource, please. Right?

Regards
We have reason and logic.
Atheism is the epistemic default. Lack of belief needs no support, it's the logical blank slate. It's logically assumed.
It has no burden of proof.

You don't believe something/everything till contrary evidence is produced. That's just crazy. Reasonably, you believe in that for which there is evidence.