• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a (need for a) God?

Jacob Samuelson

I'm going to use this forum as the start of the debate.

This forum has potentially endless sides and points of views to where its more like a circle of loud noise and repeated whirlpool of questioning and answering. Is anyone actually getting closer to their god(s) through this? I wonder how many people are only on here trying to tirelessly convert someone else's point of view to their own or if they are sincerely interested in learning what others believe. By the way, before I get unposted, this is not just a forum issue, it's a world issue. The latter is so difficult, because if I wanted to know what any faith believes, I must encounter a massive wall of the former's varying opinions, factional differences, and even entirely controversial perspectives. For example, trying to understand the Muslims. Although their entire system of belief is supposedly built on unity through prayer and one Allah, I actually consider them even more complex and diverse than the Christians and their many churches. The same goes for every member of religious parties I've encountered. No answer I receive from any given member or follower would be the same. Sure there are core beliefs and important figures, the textual stuff, but the story, or contextual stuff, is never the same.

For me, it has come to the point that the lines of most beliefs are entirely intertwined with popular opinion and regional speculation, that political and traditional forces are the only remaining shell of religion and theology, bringing the very rational parts of human logic to come to the conclusion that religion is man's and most certainly not God's.

However, what is God's? Perhaps simply an experimentation of divine power or an intensely well prepared simulation for ethical examination. Perhaps a sandbox for omnipotent amusement or a seasonal purging of failed creation. Perhaps nothing at all. Just a fictitious humanistic ploy to render subject gullible ignoramuses to their knees through fear, love, or hope, making a way for submissive yet productive societies.

Lets start from the latter. We have learned through the manipulation of ecclesiastical power, one's reliance to religion has proved to dim physical understanding during the Dark Ages and, in contrast, its rejection lead to scientific advances and industry of the Renaissance and modern medicine.

I admit that some of the greatest minds were protestant and atheist, as they were revolutionists against a ruthless regime of pious subjugation and born from the primal simplicity of the Scientific Method rather from tattered pages of canonized laws and fairy tales.

Here, it is easy to relate to the atheist's perspective in matters of the unholy and earthly divinity in secular religion, yet there is always still that proverbial elephant in the room. God. I would be among those that whole-heartedly believe that there is a God. For me, It is too much of a paradox that something or someone doesn't exist in an infinitesimal universe. Even as the innate human yearning for a creator is found in a child to their parent is not strictly for survival, but for connection. Not just for sustenance but for substance.

No matter your upbringing, you were created in a machine that is your mother, built from code that is your father. There is no escaping that, regardless if science or nature allows manipulation or duplication of that code. Being a creation suggests there is a creator(s). In this case, your parents. A Code that has been passed down generationally from an unknown source: God, aliens, or randomized frequencies of celestial matter (remember in an infinitesimal there are infinitesimal possibilities.) In the end, the only real common denominator is your existence. The scientific method suggests that man's lineage of genetic material requires a male and a female and has so since any known existence. Whether man is an infinite age (which disagrees with modern understanding of planetary creation) or there was in fact an absolute designed Beginning of this genetic process by celestial or random intelligence matters little in the end.

In the end, there is only choice. Increments of varying decisions that build up your existence. You are gods because you are creators of this choice. You might not be able to pass or create genetic code but you still are capable of passing down information that can eventually create beliefs and choices of generations which is a function of God. Just think about it, theoretically if you didn't exist, Nothing would. The same is what is said of God. Ergo you are God.

I would like to conclude my small point on this giant circle of opinions that God is very real. He (I use "He" with the context that "He" is a universal pronoun for mankind not for masculine singular.) is a construct of reality that is existence. He is a singular person just as you are singular person. There is only one God just as you are only one being. I'm sure there was an ultimate beginning of everything because of the scientific processes that had needed to occur for my existence to happen, but I am also sure that the discovery of this Eternal being correlates with the discovery of our being. Just as our ancestral bond gives us our basic instincts and morals, God is found through the lessons of our past assembled and arranged in us. God is only a mystery because of how mysterious our existence is. I suggest there is a need for understanding our existence, that is why science was implemented. Therefore, there is a need for God. Just as there is a need for You.

j9pwdrny-1413258154.jpg

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

This forum has potentially endless sides and points of views to where its more like a circle of loud noise and repeated whirlpool of questioning and answering. Is anyone actually getting closer to their god(s) through this? I wonder how many people are only on here trying to tirelessly convert someone else's point of view to their own or if they are sincerely interested in learning what others believe. By the way, before I get unposted, this is not just a forum issue, it's a world issue. The latter is so difficult, because if I wanted to know what any faith believes, I must encounter a massive wall of the former's varying opinions, factional differences, and even entirely controversial perspectives. For example, trying to understand the Muslims. Although their entire system of belief is supposedly built on unity through prayer and one Allah, I actually consider them even more complex and diverse than the Christians and their many churches. The same goes for every member of religious parties I've encountered. No answer I receive from any given member or follower would be the same. Sure there are core beliefs and important figures, the textual stuff, but the story, or contextual stuff, is never the same.

For me, it has come to the point that the lines of most beliefs are entirely intertwined with popular opinion and regional speculation, that political and traditional forces are the only remaining shell of religion and theology, bringing the very rational parts of human logic to come to the conclusion that religion is man's and most certainly not God's.

However, what is God's? Perhaps simply an experimentation of divine power or an intensely well prepared simulation for ethical examination. Perhaps a sandbox for omnipotent amusement or a seasonal purging of failed creation. Perhaps nothing at all. Just a fictitious humanistic ploy to render subject gullible ignoramuses to their knees through fear, love, or hope, making a way for submissive yet productive societies.

Lets start from the latter. We have learned through the manipulation of ecclesiastical power, one's reliance to religion has proved to dim physical understanding during the Dark Ages and, in contrast, its rejection lead to scientific advances and industry of the Renaissance and modern medicine.

I admit that some of the greatest minds were protestant and atheist, as they were revolutionists against a ruthless regime of pious subjugation and born from the primal simplicity of the Scientific Method rather from tattered pages of canonized laws and fairy tales.

Here, it is easy to relate to the atheist's perspective in matters of the unholy and earthly divinity in secular religion, yet there is always still that proverbial elephant in the room. God. I would be among those that whole-heartedly believe that there is a God. For me, It is too much of a paradox that something or someone doesn't exist in an infinitesimal universe. Even as the innate human yearning for a creator is found in a child to their parent is not strictly for survival, but for connection. Not just for sustenance but for substance.

No matter your upbringing, you were created in a machine that is your mother, built from code that is your father. There is no escaping that, regardless if science or nature allows manipulation or duplication of that code. Being a creation suggests there is a creator(s). In this case, your parents. A Code that has been passed down generationally from an unknown source: God, aliens, or randomized frequencies of celestial matter (remember in an infinitesimal there are infinitesimal possibilities.) In the end, the only real common denominator is your existence. The scientific method suggests that man's lineage of genetic material requires a male and a female and has so since any known existence. Whether man is an infinite age (which disagrees with modern understanding of planetary creation) or there was in fact an absolute designed Beginning of this genetic process by celestial or random intelligence matters little in the end.

In the end, there is only choice. Increments of varying decisions that build up your existence. You are gods because you are creators of this choice. You might not be able to pass or create genetic code but you still are capable of passing down information that can eventually create beliefs and choices of generations which is a function of God. Just think about it, theoretically if you didn't exist, Nothing would. The same is what is said of God. Ergo you are God.

I would like to conclude my small point on this giant circle of opinions that God is very real. He (I use "He" with the context that "He" is a universal pronoun for mankind not for masculine singular.) is a construct of reality that is existence. He is a singular person just as you are singular person. There is only one God just as you are only one being. I'm sure there was an ultimate beginning of everything because of the scientific processes that had needed to occur for my existence to happen, but I am also sure that the discovery of this Eternal being correlates with the discovery of our being. Just as our ancestral bond gives us our basic instincts and morals, God is found through the lessons of our past assembled and arranged in us. God is only a mystery because of how mysterious our existence is. I suggest there is a need for understanding our existence, that is why science was implemented. Therefore, there is a need for God. Just as there is a need for You.

j9pwdrny-1413258154.jpg
I believe God is there no matter if people see the need in God or not :)

RestlessSoul

For me personally, there is definitely a need for God. And when I’ve needed God most, He, She or It has always been there.

I’m more ambivalent about religion though. Whilst organised religions are obviously intended to bring their adherents closer to God, they do appear sometimes to have the opposite effect.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For me personally, there is definitely a need for God. And when I’ve needed God most, He, She or It has always been there.

I’m more ambivalent about religion though. Whilst organised religions are obviously intended to bring their adherents closer to God, they do appear sometimes to have the opposite effect.
I kind of see it the opposite way. I don't see God doing anything at all but at least religion does something for humanity. I do believe that God sends Messengers but that is all. I know many people believe that God is there for them but that is a personal thing nobody could ever prove. Sometimes I believe God is there for me but I would never say I know.

I am not big on organized religion but I see a need for it. With no organization the spirit is dissipated and when people get together in a spirit of unity it is more powerful than one individual.

RestlessSoul

I kind of see it the opposite way. I don't see God doing anything at all but at least religion does something for humanity. I do believe that God sends Messengers but that is all. I know many people believe that God is there for them but that is a personal thing nobody could ever prove. Sometimes I believe God is there for me but I would never say I know.

I am not big on organized religion but I see a need for it. With no organization the spirit is dissipated and when people get together in a spirit of unity it is more powerful than one individual.

Yeah, your last sentence is certainly true; unity between people is a source of great strength. We can achieve things collectively that we can't do on our own; and I do think God works through people.

I also believe it's possible for each of us to form a personal relationship with God, without the need to belong to a particular religion. But contact with others who are on a similar spiritual path, or indeed any spiritual path, is desirable.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
God is only a mystery because of how mysterious our existence is. I suggest there is a need for understanding our existence, that is why science was implemented. Therefore, there is a need for God.

The fact that humans have sought out meaning (and truth) has been one reason why we have developed into the species we are, and hence science would probably have come about from this alone. And as such, is entirely aside from any God question. Our need as to understanding our own existence, of life itself, and all the rest, might be why we are so attached to our gods, but that perhaps is more down to our insecurity than much else - given that we are so vulnerable and do have such short lives.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I will have things to say when it’s not 5am, I need to convince myself to sleep. Interesting OP though.

I will have some things to say about modality and some of the comments on infinities and possibilities from an astrophysics/cosmology perspective.

@Jacob Samuelson

Jacob Samuelson

God is only a mystery because of how mysterious our existence is. I suggest there is a need for understanding our existence, that is why science was implemented. Therefore, there is a need for God.

The fact that humans have sought out meaning (and truth) has been one reason why we have developed into the species we are, and hence science would probably have come about from this alone. And as such, is entirely aside from any God question. Our need as to understanding our own existence, of life itself, and all the rest, might be why we are so attached to our gods, but that perhaps is more down to our insecurity than much else - given that we are so vulnerable and do have such short lives.

Science is the search for meaning, as you said. It couldn't have come from anything but by pure existence. My view is that meaning has to have been inherited. Sort of like growing up as a toddler and being taught by your parent. At first all the information in the world doesn't mean a thing to an infant, yet gradually intelligence and communication manifests. Then reading and writing and education. Then responsibility and self-progress to the point we understand what our parents were talking about in the first place. If we consider the alpha parent in this scenario as God, and following generations as the years from infant to adult than science was more of God's notebook on life. A resource. We could choose to read it, understand it, add to it, and be all the better for it, or we could live a life without it and just have to learn the hard way. The further we understand the formulas and the way it was written the more we understand the author and the more we could discover. I think our attachment to our gods comes from a need to have direction in our lives, just like a child calls for his parent when he needs to know what to do or is hurt. It is my opinion that we are still children when it comes to hardships. We are very vulnerable but not because of our short lives, but because of our mere adolescence in a world full of uncertainty.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I don't have a need for a name to tell me I am spiritual as compared to not spiritual. Seen as expressed human behaviour.

I know by self in an experience human and I don't need someone to tell me that if I didn't exist I would not own the experience as if it allows them especial advice.

What I learnt was subjective to similar science conditions without machines or artificial changes to natural forms.

Why I know science never owned naming it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Science is the search for meaning, as you said. It couldn't have come from anything but by pure existence. My view is that meaning has to have been inherited. Sort of like growing up as a toddler and being taught by your parent. At first all the information in the world doesn't mean a thing to an infant, yet gradually intelligence and communication manifests. Then reading and writing and education. Then responsibility and self-progress to the point we understand what our parents were talking about in the first place. If we consider the alpha parent in this scenario as God, and following generations as the years from infant to adult than science was more of God's notebook on life. A resource. We could choose to read it, understand it, add to it, and be all the better for it, or we could live a life without it and just have to learn the hard way. The further we understand the formulas and the way it was written the more we understand the author and the more we could discover. I think our attachment to our gods comes from a need to have direction in our lives, just like a child calls for his parent when he needs to know what to do or is hurt. It is my opinion that we are still children when it comes to hardships. We are very vulnerable but not because of our short lives, but because of our mere adolescence in a world full of uncertainty.
Well we no doubt differ. The reality of existence was always there, and whether humans discovered such or didn't wouldn't alter it in any way. Life would have carried on without humans if we had not developed as we did, as would the natural laws of the universe. Whether we are the first and/or only species to discover so many things is up for grabs, but sure explains why we see ourselves as being the centre of the universe all too often, and as to why any supposed God might have us in some sort of relationship. For myself, life makes a lot more sense as to how we created our gods (and religions), given the spectrum of beliefs we now have, rather than any honing of the truth regarding such - which tends to be the aims of science even if it often is rather messy in doing so.

As to answering the OP question - no, I've never felt a need for any God and would just prefer truthful answers to any questions I might have.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no universal answer to the question posed in the title. For some there is a God and a need for God. For others, there is no evidence of God, and therefore no need for God. For yet others, God is irrelevant.

Jacob Samuelson

Well we no doubt differ. The reality of existence was always there, and whether humans discovered such or didn't wouldn't alter it in any way. Life would have carried on without humans if we had not developed as we did, as would the natural laws of the universe. Whether we are the first and/or only species to discover so many things is up for grabs, but sure explains why we see ourselves as being the centre of the universe all too often, and as to why any supposed God might have us in some sort of relationship. For myself, life makes a lot more sense as to how we created our gods (and religions), given the spectrum of beliefs we now have, rather than any honing of the truth regarding such - which tends to be the aims of science even if it often is rather messy in doing so.

As to answering the OP question - no, I've never felt a need for any God and would just prefer truthful answers to any questions I might have.
There are parts we differ and there are parts we agree, the important thing for me is that you exist. You have created something I might not be able to, for that, your understanding may prove useful for future generations who will take on your ideas and tweak them a bit to fit their understandings, evolution will assuredly come to a decisive conclusion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah, your last sentence is certainly true; unity between people is a source of great strength. We can achieve things collectively that we can't do on our own; and I do think God works through people.
I fully agree that God works through people and I have experienced that many times.
I also believe it's possible for each of us to form a personal relationship with God, without the need to belong to a particular religion. But contact with others who are on a similar spiritual path, or indeed any spiritual path, is desirable.
I agree that it's possible for each of us to form a personal relationship with God without the need to belong to a particular religion.

I think that contact with others who are on a spiritual path is desirable because it strengthens our faith and can also help others strengthen their faith.

Clara Tea

j9pwdrny-1413258154.jpg

As kids, we had our mommies and daddies to comfort us....kiss the booboos, pick us up when we fall, always have the solution.

As adults, our parents are old, and the knowledge gap is not as great, but we need a parent figure in our lives. Sometimes the horrors of life are so intense, that we glom onto belief in God. For example, my aunt had two miscarriages, then turned radically to Baptism, writhing on the floor, talking in tongues (many others viewed it as babbling incoherently). She turned into a religious zealot, insisting that others constantly pray to God. Insanity? Piousness? We are each free to decide. Christians believe that one should not judge lest one is judged (Jesus...Sermon on the Mount).

Yet, when it comes to atheists, the gloves come off and fisticuffs begin. What happened to Christian forgiveness?

Are religious discussions always supposed to get us closer to God?

"Unposted?" For a legitimate religious discussion?

"gullible ignoramuses to their knees through fear, love, or hope" Yeah.....I've been promoted to a gullible ignoramus.

"our ancestral bond gives us our basic instincts and morals" That means that if you are related to a criminal, you'd be a criminal? We are free to rise to our own level by the sweat of our brow, the creativity of our minds (and cheating).