• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a complete list of countries where Islam spread by the sword?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sometimes or even often while a discussion is proceeding reasonably, an issue comes in between that could derail the discussion.
This happened with the thread "Was Islam spread by the sword?" where I and many other friends discuss the topic. Some of the friends here contend that Islam spread by the sword while I maintain that Islam spread peacefully in the world, yet they stress their viewpoint. I requested them to provide a complete list of countries where they contend Islam spread by the sword. Somehow they are reluctant to provide any such complete list.
Hence I have started this thread.
Atheists or Theists to provide such list (in terms of Post #2) with their evidences, if any, please

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
For example Post #2506, Post #2532 refers

Kindly give a complete list of countries where you see sword in action:
  • Only for conversion to religion Islam.
  • There was no other factor involved, absolutely none, for sure none,certainly none.
  • There were no earlier conversion to Islam before that in that country.
  • If there were earlier conversions , before you see sword in action; what were the clear motives of converts behind?
  • Were the converts since then "under sword" constantly till now that they could not revert to their previous religion? If not, why do they stick to Quran/Islam/Muhammad even now?
Please
Anybody please

Regards

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Probably not.
History is written by the victors. So I doubt that the Muslims who slaughtered people a thousand years ago or more left much evidence.
It happened a lot. They're still doing it. Yes, other people did it too.
Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Get real, man. Nobody uses swords anymore, they use guns. Besides, both guns and swords are horrible for spreading things. Use a butter knife.

(pardon, but I can't manage anything other to a flippant response to an equally flippant question)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sometimes or even often while a discussion is proceeding reasonably, an issue comes in between that could derail the discussion.
This happened with the thread "Was Islam spread by the sword?" where I and many other friends discuss the topic. Some of the friends here contend that Islam spread by the sword while I maintain that Islam spread peacefully in the world, yet they stress their viewpoint. I requested them to provide a complete list of countries where they contend Islam spread by the sword. Somehow they are reluctant to provide any such complete list.
Atheists or Theists to provide such list (in terms of Post #2) with their evidences, if any, please

Regards
The thing is, paarsurrey, that no one, with an iota of credibility, would say that Islam was always spread by the sword. It is without question that Muslim armies rampaged the known world for centuries and it is silly to suggest that this was a peaceful expansion... as they did not arrive with trays of milk and cookies.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is without question that Muslim armies rampaged the known world for centuries and it is silly to suggest that this was a peaceful expansion...

Exactly.
Like the Greeks and the Chinese, the Christians and the Romans, the Muslims spread their cultural domination through war.
The world has changed since then, but not as much as moral people would like.
Tom

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Regards
What a load of bull ****.
You were flat out asked why anyone should bother with a "complete" list when you have not addressed the ones presented in the other thread.
This thread is nothing more than you showing off your intellectual dishonesty and flat out denial of truth.

Kirran

Premium Member
Muslim rulers, and therefore Islam in the early centuries, spread across the world via the military conquests of the Caliphates and other early Islamic states. So the areas included come into the modern countries of Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Algeria, Tunisia, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Iran, Pakistan and India, among others.

Not to say Islam was only spread by the sword, obviously, as others have mentioned. Only that, as with many religions, this was a factor.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Muslim rulers, and therefore Islam in the early centuries, spread across the world via the military conquests of the Caliphates and other early Islamic states. So the areas included come into the modern countries of Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Algeria, Tunisia, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Iran, Pakistan and India, among others.

Not to say Islam was only spread by the sword, obviously, as others have mentioned. Only that, as with many religions, this was a factor.

In most of countries Islam did not spread about sword , i mean forcing people to convert to Islam , like north Africa as you said , or south Asia like Indonisia or Malisia or India or Iran , it's spread by peace

our extremists (like ISIS) that's other issue , so we are caring about them (eliminating them) , that's why you find majority of Muslim are against them .

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In most of countries Islam did not spread about sword
Do you have evidence for this?
I don't think it is true. I think Islamic warriors spread Islam the same way other warlike culture did. What evidence do you have that Islam is different?
Tom

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Do you have evidence for this?
I don't think it is true. I think Islamic warriors spread Islam the same way other warlike culture did. What evidence do you have that Islam is different?
Tom
the evidence there are no wars in the countries that i mentioned between Muslims and residents .

I mentioned the countries , in whole Africa and South Asia , which may reach 90% of large of Muslim world accept Islam without war .

my evidence and great exemple i have is Indonisia ,Indonesia contains the world's largest Muslim population.

check this link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_of_Islam_in_Indonesia

Islam was brought into Indonesia by traders from Gujarat, India during the 13th century

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
In most of countries Islam did not spread about sword, i mean forcing people to convert to Islam , like north Africa as you said

Which doesn't change the fact that Islam was spread to some countries through force of arms. It did happen. North Africa was one of the regions affected by this as the Caliphate expanded out of the Arabian Peninsula, it attacked Byzantine holdings in the area. And once the jizyah started being applied, then people would have been coerced into converting.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Which doesn't change the fact that Islam was spread to some countries through force of arms. It did happen. North Africa was one of the regions affected by this as the Caliphate expanded out of the Arabian Peninsula, it attacked Byzantine holdings in the area. And once the jizyah started being applied, then people would have been coerced into converting.
Since it's seems Byzantine are occupated north َAfrica , the origin resident Berbers accept Islam without war .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numidia

so its like USA kicked Russia from Afghanistan .

Kirran

Premium Member
In most of countries Islam did not spread about sword , i mean forcing people to convert to Islam , like north Africa as you said , or south Asia like Indonisia or Malisia or India or Iran , it's spread by peace

our extremists (like ISIS) that's other issue , so we are caring about them (eliminating them) , that's why you find majority of Muslim are against them .

What I mean, Godobeyer, is that these countries came under Muslim rule by violent conquest. The Caliphates were Empires, essentially, and they conquered their lands. They didn't put everyone to the sword if they didn't convert, no, you're right. But it was due to conquest that people came into contact with Islam, and as well as other factors involved, there were substantial economic and societal pressures within these Islamic states to convert to Islam. For example, many Iberians converted to Islam because it made it possible for them to be far more economically successful, opened up a lot more jobs for them in the Islamic-governed Al-Andalus. I'm sure there were some who did it out of piety and belief in Islam, but seeing as converts to Islam in Iberia retained a strong propensity to get very drunk on alcohol, we can only assume that there was a mixture. Some Muslims came to Islam for belief, and some came to get out of taxes, for economic opportunities and social standing. Of course, these converts raised their kids Muslims whatever the reasons.

You're right, in some parts of South Asia and Southeast Asia, as well as Sub-Saharan Africa, where there weren't necessarily Islamic governments, people often came to Islam via becoming followers of Sufi saints.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
What I mean, Godobeyer, is that these countries came under Muslim rule by violent conquest. The Caliphates were Empires, essentially, and they conquered their lands. They didn't put everyone to the sword if they didn't convert, no, you're right. But it was due to conquest that people came into contact with Islam, and as well as other factors involved, there were substantial economic and societal pressures within these Islamic states to convert to Islam. For example, many Iberians converted to Islam because it made it possible for them to be far more economically successful, opened up a lot more jobs for them in the Islamic-governed Al-Andalus. I'm sure there were some who did it out of piety and belief in Islam, but seeing as converts to Islam in Iberia retained a strong propensity to get very drunk on alcohol, we can only assume that there was a mixture. Some Muslims came to Islam for belief, and some came to get out of taxes, for economic opportunities and social standing. Of course, these converts raised their kids Muslims whatever the reasons.
OP is how spread , not how Muslims ruled , its seems we are not in the same path of meaning :)

You're right, in some parts of South Asia and Southeast Asia, as well as Sub-Saharan Africa, where there weren't necessarily Islamic governments, people often came to Islam via becoming followers of Sufi saints.
that Good that you know that :)

Godobeyer

Premium Member
I went into the spread of the religion of Islam in that post. If you would like to re-read it, perhaps.
ok i get it :)

where " the countries came under Muslim rule by violent conquest' ?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Since it's seems Byzantine are occupated north َAfrica , the origin resident Berbers accept Islam without war .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numidia

so its like USA kicked Russia from Afghanistan .

Not true. Islam spread as a result of the Arab advance into Berber territory resulted in Islam spreading to these people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berbers#Berbers_and_the_Islamic_conquest

The link I posted said:
Unlike the conquests of previous religions and cultures, the coming of Islam, which was spread by Arabs, was to have extensive and long-lasting effects on the Maghreb. The new faith, in its various forms, would penetrate nearly all segments of Berber society, bringing with it armies, learned men, and fervent mystics, and in large part replacing tribal practices and loyalties with new social norms and political idioms.
The first Arabian military expeditions into the Maghreb, between 642 and 669, resulted in the spread of Islam. These early forays from a base in Egypt occurred under local initiative rather than under orders from the central caliphate.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
For example Post #2506, Post #2532 refers

Kindly give a complete list of countries where you see sword in action:
  • Only for conversion to religion Islam.
  • There was no other factor involved, absolutely none, for sure none,certainly none.
  • There were no earlier conversion to Islam before that in that country.
  • If there were earlier conversions , before you see sword in action; what were the clear motives of converts behind?
  • Were the converts since then "under sword" constantly till now that they could not revert to their previous religion? If not, why do they stick to Quran/Islam/Muhammad even now?
Please
Anybody please

Regards

This is a map for the Muslim Conquests during a ~130 years period ( 622-750 A.D. ):

900px-Map_of_expansion_of_Caliphate.svg.png

You can read about the Muslim Conquests here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquests
These were military campaigns.

Now look at the % of muslims in each country across the world nowadays:

Islam_percent_population_in_each_nation_World_Map_Muslim_data_by_Pew_Research.svg

As you can see, most of the places conquered by Muslims back then have ended up with a vast Muslim majority.
The influence of military conquests is undeniable.