• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the world heading towards authoritarianism in the short term?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hi,
I was reading this article about authoritarianism today;
Freedom House downgrades India to ‘partly free’

And it got me thinking, is the world overall sliding into authoritarianism in the short term?
IMO:

I have been thinking this since Corona started. Indeed it seems to be very short term, which makes sense, the rich elite will never 'kill' the economy worldwide longterm, just enough till all are sufficiently suffocated and scared thereby to accept the New Normal, without starting a civil war.

After that in no time there will be no more Corona suddenly, and all will be forced to work double as hard, after having been given 1,5 year of a kind of 'holiday'

The very rich already 'earned' many billions of dollars from Corona (newspapers informed us), so my guess is, that it won't last very long till we see the New Normal finalized.

Just common sense, and a little bit of knowledge about humans (greediness, fear, desire power). Wars in rich countries having nukes is a bit problematic (we got a little taste with Kim). Hence when Corona announced 'itself' they saw a business opportunity and exploited it.

Note: We still live in Kali Yuga, where selfishness is all around. In the past those in power could start wars to satisfy their arrogant ego, now wars can backfire on you quite a bit, so they needed to find something else to satisfy their desire to control and impose and earn billions. This kind of people don't just dissapear easily.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Freedom all over the world is dying for people. At best we will live in a guilded cage for a bit untill things get more dark.
People, on average, are lazy and dumb. They like freedom but when it comes to fight for it they may have something more urgent to do. Unless they directly, personally feel it, they don't mind a bit authoritarian "order". But more often then not they wake up at the last minute. The US got rid of Trump, Peru prevented the installation of an US supported authoritarian government, there are protests in Russia, Belarus, Hong Kong and Myanmar. The short term trend may look bad but the long term trend is still dominating:

DP.DEMOC.1946TO2004.JPG

WalterTrull

Godfella
Growing pains. We just don't want to grow up and we fight doing so at most every turn. We want a benevolent dictator to replace our parents. Unfortunately, attempts at that haven't worked out very well. Republicanism has been a moderately successful stopgap.
We understand natural laws very, very slowly it seems, but we'll get there. We can't grow down.
Just my view, of course.

joe1776

...is the world overall sliding into authoritarianism in the short term?
I think probably not.

What would cause such a swing, even in the short term? I associate authoritarianism primarily with leadership by individuals; and the long-term trend in the governments of the world is to diminish the reputation of leaders:
  • Long ago societies regarded their leaders as gods.
  • Then, they regarded the right to lead as divinely inspired by gods.
  • Later, they regarded their nobles as figureheads.
  • There was a time when citizens trusted their elected leaders completely.
Today, we're recognizing that democracies with a powerful leader are at risk.

Over the long term the reputation of leaders in general has been on a downward trend; a fact which I think argues against the world's acceptance of authoritarianism even on the short term.

Last edited:

joe1776

I fear so. India isn't the only example. Myanmar just had a military coup, Hong Kong just got (illegally) politically annexed by the CP. In Europe we have Poland and Hungary which are drifting into authoritarianism. Turkey is almost a lost case.
Yes, I see authoritarianism on the rise in the short term. But I think it will not beat the long trend of more freedom and democracy in the world.
There are almost 200 countries in the world. Bear in mind that the exceptions are notable and newsworthy.

PureX

Veteran Member
Authoritarianism ALWAYS fails. Humans simply will not comply. Unfortunately, through fear and a huge imbalance of power it can be established, and can rule for a while. And can do great harm to humanity while it does. But in the end, it will not stand. Because it is fundamentally self-destructive. It's a parasite that eats itself.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hi, I was reading this article about authoritarianism today;
Freedom House downgrades India to ‘partly free’
And it got me thinking, is the world overall sliding into authoritarianism in the short term?
It is true to some extent, but let me explain it some more. Modi has always acted within the bounds of law. But the current Supreme Court understanding of the right of dissent is faulty. With the result that roads to Delhi were severely restricted for some three months in early 2020 because of the law for making a National Register of Citizens. The roads are again severely restricted since about three months by a spurious farmers agitation. This hinders national progress.

There has been serious illegal immigration from Bangladesh, the current government wants to check as to who are actually the citizens of India. Illegal immigrants make a joke of the election system. The law regarding this has been passed with the necessary majority in both the houses of Indian Parliament. Similarly, Indian government has brought about agricultural laws which will benefit the poor farmers in the long run, but those who enjoy subsidies now are resisting it.

All opposition parties have banded up against Modi irresepective of what is happening in the world and whatever the cause may be - the Chinese agression in India and the coronavirus infection. The opposition parties in their quest for power are being anti-Indian. It is to the credit of Narendra Modi that in spite of this, he is carrying on bravely. Except the Communist party, no other party has any ideology and all have dynasties, the Indira Gandhi Congress being the oldest which has ruled India for four generations and some 55 years. Modi is an absolutely honest person. The opposition is ruing their inability to defraud Indian people any more.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Biden screwed up the stimulus.

So he was not authoritarian enough for you because he did not force Congress to do his will or else.

Some of us on the left, well, most if not all of us, decried Trump for trying to enforce his will. Now some are decrying Biden for not trying to enforce his will?

As long as we demand that a President or Prime Minister force and enforce his will, we are endorsing authoritarianism.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think probably not.

What would cause such a swing, even in the short term? I associate authoritarianism primarily with leadership by individuals; and the long-term trend in the governments of the world is to diminish the reputation of leaders:
  • Long ago societies regarded their leaders as gods.
  • Then, they regarded the right to lead as divinely inspired by gods.
  • Later, they regarded their nobles as figureheads.
  • There was a time when citizens trusted their elected leaders completely.
Today, we're recognizing that democracies with a powerful leader are at risk.

Over the long term the reputation of leaders in general has been on a downward trend; a fact which I think argues against the world's acceptance of authoritarianism even on the short term.
Long ago a heavy hand and divine threat was necessary to keep the people in line and maintain the wealth and power of the élite. Today, with a police-surveillance state, it's much easier to maintain control without the overt threats and shows of power that were necessary before the I.T. revolution.

Those in power can monitor where you are, where you go, where you've been, whom you associate with, what you buy, and your every keystroke online. Computers, smart TVs and phones can be switched on remotely, in stealth mode, to listen and watch covertly.
If the powers-that-be decide you've become a threat to them you can be neutralized with a few keystrokes.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Authoritarians have to project superiority and maintain the illusion of it. Can they still do that? Can they maintain that illusion?
Illusion?
They can wipe out your bank accounts, cancel your credit cards, passport, &c; end your employment and disable your car -- with just a few keystrokes.
Big brother is here.

joe1776

Long ago a heavy hand and divine threat was necessary to keep the people in line and maintain the wealth and power of the élite. Today, with a police-surveillance state, it's much easier to maintain control without the overt threats and shows of power that were necessary before the I.T. revolution.

Those in power can monitor where you are, where you go, where you've been, whom you associate with, what you buy, and your every keystroke online. Computers, smart TVs and phones can be switched on remotely, in stealth mode, to listen and watch covertly.
If the powers-that-be decide you've become a threat to them you can be neutralized with a few keystrokes.
I don't share your fears.

There has never been a serious abuse of power in human history that wasn't incited by a leader. For example, imagine the lynchings that happened in the southern USA in the past couple of centuries. Can you imagine even one that wasn't incited by a leader?

Governments aren't something to be feared. They are decision-making processes. They aren't human egos capable of forming intent. The minds of leaders can, and often do, form malicious intent. Leaders are commonly born arrogant jerks who gloat when they can gain power and control over the lives of others.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My question is how do we tell propaganda, from fact, when it seems everyone is peddling their own brand of it?

This has given me a lot to think about in the last few years.

Each person has their worldview, and what is 'true' in their head. They justify it in any way they can(and this goes for multiple topics, not just major ones), they base their life around it. And now, with the rise of social media, they can group, and then (try to) push those views on others.

And in a way; its normal. People have always done this. I think what is different now is we are no longer confined to our physical spaces. With the internet, we can, figuratively speaking, go anywhere. I can sit here all day on the computer and obsess over something that I think is happening 2000 miles away while overlooking the fact that their are people fighting in my own front yard. And because of where I'm focusing my attention, one event is real, and the other doesn't even exist.

I've read 1984 a few too many times, I think. However, what I find most fascinating was the government never came in and put telescreens in our houses. Instead, we pay hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars each year to put the stinking telescreens in our damned pockets...

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This has given me a lot to think about in the last few years.

Each person has their worldview, and what is 'true' in their head. They justify it in any way they can(and this goes for multiple topics, not just major ones), they base their life around it. And now, with the rise of social media, they can group, and then (try to) push those views on others.

And in a way; its normal. People have always done this. I think what is different now is we are no longer confined to our physical spaces. With the internet, we can, figuratively speaking, go anywhere. I can sit here all day on the computer and obsess over something that I think is happening 2000 miles away while overlooking the fact that their are people fighting in my own front yard. And because of where I'm focusing my attention, one event is real, and the other doesn't even exist.

I've read 1984 a few too many times, I think. However, what I find most fascinating was the government never came in and put telescreens in our houses. Instead, we pay hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars each year to put the stinking telescreens in our damned pockets...

Very true. We have always been a Tribal species. Social Media gives us a way to link up with a group of like minded fellows, no matter how misguided they are. Forget doublespeak when you have the power of herd conformity.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Illusion?
They can wipe out your bank accounts, cancel your credit cards, passport, &c; end your employment and disable your car -- with just a few keystrokes.
Big brother is here.
Point taken but that doesn't equal believing another is superior. The support for authoritarianism has always been bolstered by ignorance and by belief in the superiority of the authority. Its a moral argument that authoritarians make. "Someone has to be in charge. It may as well be the best of us, and I am the best of us."

Ponder This

No, covid lock downs had nothing to do with my wondering about authoritarianism.

The article states covid lockdowns in India as a reason it thought India was moving towards authoritarianism.
Freedom House also pointed to the “ham-fisted” COVID-19 lockdown ordered by Modi in which enormous numbers of workers who lacked resources were obliged to walk across the country to their villages.​
So I guess I missed the point. What was it that prompted your wondering about authoritarianism in the short term?