• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the universe conscious of itself...

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
When you contemplate the universe, part of the universe becomes conscious of itself.

That isn't the impression I get when I look at the Andromeda galaxy through a telescope. I'm aware of my own feelings of awe, but that's as far as it goes.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yes I believe our consciousness is not simply consciousness of the universe; our consciousness is a part of the universe, and thus the universe itself is partially conscious. When you contemplate the universe, part of the universe becomes conscious of itself.
Actually, as an animist, I consider the whole universe to be at least partially "conscious," whether or not humans or similar species exist.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Something I've been thinking about lately
Are we just a product of the universe becoming conscious of itself?

Nope.

At best, only the Universe that spans a radius of some hundred thousand light years, which is more or less the part of the Universe that is in causal relationship with our consciousness since it appeared on earth.

That is a ridiculously small part of the Universe.

Ciao

- viole

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yes. I'll give you my Hindu/Advaita take on this question. Brahman is All and that is pure infinite consciousness. The universe is a great play/drama of Brahman in where He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself. We are on the return trip to infinite consciousness; Self-Realization; Brahman Realization.

Etritonakin

I believe that what happens in the universe is able to be sensed by God -known by God -ordered and maintained by God -acted upon by God -though I'm not certain to what degree or in what configuration.
Perhaps there is reason not to sense all things at all times, just as God decided to not know all things at all times when creating us.
(We are able to surprise him to a certain degree -though not so much that things can become unmanageable. We can make things new to him in which he can delight, just as he did for us.)

Sensing the state of a system is necessary to managing a system.

Luk 12:6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
Luk 12:7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
We are a product of the universe, and we're conscious, so by extension the universe has achieved consciousness. Mind you, that doesn't mean that the whole universe therefore is conscious, since we're only a part of it.

To quote Carl Sagan "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.”

Skwim

Veteran Member
Something I just read.....
For billions and billions of years, the universe was here and no one knew about it.
Are you suggesting that the only beings capable of knowing anything must reside on earth?

More to the point, for all that time, the universe itself had no idea that it existed. But then, around 13.82 billion years after the Big Bang, and almost four billion years since life first evolved, something strange began to happen: Tiny parts of the universe became conscious, and came to know something about themselves and the universe of which they are a part.
So, where does your knowledge of the universe's consciousness come from?

Eventually, some of these tiny parts of the universe - the parts we call ‘scientists' and ‘scientifically-informed laypeople' - came to understand the Big Bang and the evolutionary process through which they had come to exist. After an eternity of unconsciousness, the universe now had some glimmering awareness that it existed and some understanding of where it had come from. This might sound like a strange thing for a universe to do, but perhaps it's not; perhaps many possible universes would become conscious of themselves given sufficient time.
And perhaps the

131c4b76fdc236d934a80ce03c9c56b5.jpg
actually exist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Possibly more a reactive phenomina that rises and falls with varying intensity and through alteration. There is clearly a dependency by which consciousness comes about, so it's likely a product of complex interaction.

Eyasha

Yes. I'll give you my Hindu/Advaita take on this question. Brahman is All and that is pure infinite consciousness. The universe is a great play/drama of Brahman in where He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself. We are on the return trip to infinite consciousness; Self-Realization; Brahman Realization.

Eyasha

Anything other explanation is wishful thinking and imagination.[/QUOTE]
That's right, there is no connection outside fantasy.

Anything other explanation is wishful thinking and imagination.
I used to feel that way,

Research into the field of Quantum Physics like that of Haramein shows you how we are all connected, how we are all One Being that perpetuates an illusion of separate individual beings.
When you start searching for answers and become awakened the evidence supporting this theory is overwhelming

Eyasha

Are you suggesting that the only beings capable of knowing anything must reside on earth?
Definitely not I'm a big believer in other forms of existence, eg Arcturians - this species are completely aware of the universal connection
Have you ever looked into alian species?

So, where does your knowledge of the universe's consciousness come from?
We live in an age where information is available at our fingertip, I have a thought, my emotions help guide wether I'm on the right path and I start searching and reading and filling myself with information

Eyasha

I believe that what happens in the universe is able to be sensed by God -known by God -ordered and maintained by God -acted upon by God -though I'm not certain to what degree or in what configuration.
Perhaps there is reason not to sense all things at all times, just as God decided to not know all things at all times when creating us.
(We are able to surprise him to a certain degree -though not so much that things can become unmanageable. We can make things new to him in which he can delight, just as he did for us.)

Sensing the state of a system is necessary to managing a system.

Luk 12:6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
Luk 12:7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

I cannot connect with religion
I'd much rather search for truth then follow an outdated written word of man
I Beleive anyone can connect with the Devine presence you call god but through their guideds by meditation
But if religion provides moral compass for one then so be it

Skwim

Veteran Member
Definitely not I'm a big believer in other forms of existence, eg Arcturians - this species are completely aware of the universal connection
Ah, yes, the Edgar Cayce fiction. And just how do you know "this species are completely aware of the universal connection," whatever that is? Do you communicate with them often?

Have you ever looked into alian species?
Nothing to look into.

We live in an age where information is available at our fingertip, I have a thought, my emotions help guide wether I'm on the right path and I start searching and reading and filling myself with information
And you know your emotions and the information you're filling yourself with are reliable because . . . . . . . . . .?

Eyasha

It's really underwhelming and I would encourage you to maintain an open mind.
Always have an open mind
Have you ever looked into energy and the law of attraction and near death experiences and reincarnation stories? Often people don't because it's doesn't align with their beleifs and makes them uncomfortable

Eyasha

Ah, yes, the Edgar Cayce fiction. And just how do you know "this species are completely aware of the universal connection," whatever that is? Do you communicate with them often?

Nothing to look into.

And you know your emotions and the information you're filling yourself with are reliable because . . . . . . . . . .?
I think we are all here for our own experience in this existence
Start searching other life forms
You may be very surprised