• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the universe conscious of itself...

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Do you find yourself in a bubble cutting you off completely from the Universe around you?

Of course not. My point really was to be cautious about anthropomorphising the universe, attributing human characteristics like intelligence to it. Or consciousness for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyasha

But you stepped beyond what is plausible with unsubstantiated rhetoric
If we didn't question our universe and the what ifs then we wouldn't be progressing. I have not claimed a complete understanding of our universe but I do feel there is a connection and opening it up for discussion and having my opinion challenged is how I learn

outhouse

Atheistically
If we didn't question our universe and the what ifs then we wouldn't be progressing

Questioning is fine. I have never stated differently.

You went beyond questioning with levels of certainty in the unknown. Unsubstantiated rhetoric needs to be defined for you?

Eyasha

Questioning is fine. I have never stated differently.

You went beyond questioning with levels of certainty in the unknown.
Levels of certainty?
In my opinion or I Beleive isn't a level of certainty, it is stating my views and opening them for discussion
I am sure there is a connection though, but I think we are all here for our own learning experience.
I bet some of the biggest names in history started with a unsubstained rhetoric thought

psychoslice

Veteran Member
To me the Cosmos is pure Consciousness, but not of itself, there is no self in consciousness, that would be duality, where as the Cosmos is non-duality, and not even that, as that was a duality pointer, that is pointing to that which IS.

Eyasha

No levels of your uncertainty.

The first post of your is unsubstantiated rhetoric. You worded it with certainty. You certainly did not make a guess.

This is pointless
But if you actually read the begginging of my first post it states - something I have read
It was a direct paste of an article I was reading that I wanted to discuss

Eyasha

No.
We evolved a conscious mind that is limited to our bodies, and has nothing to do with the universe.

That is how I used to think
But that's because we are limited by our brain
I've heard of many people having out of body experiences and many people who speak to their guides and the more I look the more I find, I guess if you only believe in what you can physically see and have closed your mind to anything else then that's all you get

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
No.
We evolved a conscious mind that is limited to our bodies, and has nothing to do with the universe.

The conscious mind is limited to our bodies, but our bodies are not limited to our conscious mind. In other words, since our bodies (and conscious mind) arose from the matter and processes of the universe, why can't we say that the universe evolved consciousness? This is a perspective switch, but a sensible one.

There are processes in my body that I have no control over consciously and act independent of my being. Like my hair growing. Yet, I say "I am growing hair," because it is connected to me in a consciously observable way. Since we, as scientifically minded folk, can understand ourselves as being not only born from the processes and material of the universe around us but as intrinsically and dependently connected to it, we can say that the universe itself has consciousness, even if only a small section of it shows conscious process.

This is different from me saying, "That rock has consciousness because I do" because I am now separating that rock from the universe, that totality of our environment. I can say that that rock is involved in conscious processes, because without that rock, my consciousness would not be functioning in the same way that it would be were I observing something else.

outhouse

Atheistically
But that's because we are limited by our brain

Just the opposite. Our advanced consciousness gives us the ability to think outside the box. That is where many get into trouble with advanced imagination that is basically a survival trait.

I've heard of many people having out of body experiences and many people who speak to their guides and the more I look the more I find, I guess if you only believe in what you can physically see and have closed your mind to anything else then that's all you get

Its not a closed mind. Its actually more knowledge and education that gives me the ability to understand how and why reports you posit are being placed forth.

And nothing, not one instance is based on a soul or spirit which happens to be ancient mythology.

The difference between you and me, is I REFUSE to keep making ancient mens mistakes living mythology.