• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Religious Right in America gunning for you?

Is the Religious Right going to try to take away more hard-won freedoms?

• Yes, beating Roe, they'll target other rights they hate.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No, they only care about abortion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Jesus gives his reasons and explains why the many reasons for his many ' woes ' pronounced at Matthew 23:13-35
Jesus nor his followers tried to overthrow authority, nor try to operate the machinery of government.
Jesus and his followers did Not get involved in the 'issues of the day' between the Jews verses the Romans.
Jesus and his followers remained politically neutral.

But not religiously neutral, and back then, religion and politics were mixed.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
If you don’t have free will, then you can’t make moral choices, and you can’t be held morally responsible. No free will means no morality.

Yet atheists manage to be moral, go figure. It also seems oddly inconsistent to claim free will essential to morality, then insist the only basis for morality is to surrender it. and blindly follow rules cherry picked from an archaic unevidenced superstition.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
You haven't demonstrated that atheists have any basis for morality.
Of course they have, they choose it subjectively. For instance mine must necessarily examine the outcome of actions, and try to avoid, and wherever possible prevent all unnecessary suffering in other humans, and to a lesser extent all other conscious animals.

The basis for my morality is no less subjective than those who have a subjective belief they must please a deity they imagine exists, and as you have admitted, at least as efficacious in making me moral.

The precursors for human morality are clearly evolved instincts, and all animals that live in societal groups have been shown to possess an ability to make moral choices. As indeed they would have to, in order to coexist in a societal group.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Of course they have, they choose it subjectively. For instance mine must necessarily examine the outcome of actions, and try to avoid, and wherever possible prevent all unnecessary suffering in other humans, and to a lesser extent all other conscious animals.

The basis for my morality is no less subjective than those who have a subjective belief they must please a deity they imagine exists, and as you have admitted, at least as efficacious in making me moral.
I would say that atheist morality is objectively based upon subjective values. But then so is Christian morality.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Yet atheists manage to be moral, go figure. It also seems oddly inconsistent to claim free will essential to morality, then insist the only basis for morality is to surrender it. and blindly follow rules cherry picked from an archaic unevidenced superstition.
The choice to follow God is freely made. Without a God, everything is blind causation.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
So all we are are packs of animals?

We are no longer feral, but it is absurd to deny we are animals. The ignorance of biology and genetics would only be trumped by the imbecilic inability to Google the word animal, ad see it described us.

noun
  1. a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.
Quod erat demonstrandum.

It's absurd to imagine we are not pack animals. Go to any sports ground...

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sheldon said:
The choice to follow God is freely made.

Rubbish, for most of human history and even now in most parts of the world, religion is little more than an accident of the geography of your birth.

Without a God, everything is blind causation.

I think by now I know the answer, but can you support this claim with anything beyond your subjective unevidenced opinion?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I think by now I know the answer, but can you support this claim with anything beyond your subjective unevidenced opinion?
I just quoted an atheist who said just that. Want some more?
William Provine: atheists have no free will, no moral accountability and no moral significance:

"Let me summarize my views on what modern evolutionary biology tells us loud and clear — and these are basically Darwin’s views. There are no gods, no purposes, and no goal-directed forces of any kind. There is no life after death. When I die, I am absolutely certain that I am going to be dead. That’s the end of me. There is no ultimate foundation for ethics, no ultimate meaning in life, and no free will for humans, either."

Richard Dawkins:

In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won’t find any rhyme or reason in it, or any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference… DNA neither knows nor cares. DNA just is. And we dance to its music. (Richard Dawkins, River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life (1995))

Sheldon

Veteran Member
You really have trouble with reading comprehension, don't you?

If atheists are moral, which they demonstrably are, your claim they have no basis for morality is meaningless twaddle. Are you able to offer a response that doesn't involve a petty ad hominem fallacy? I'm not a betting man, but the evidence suggests not.

I already offered my basis for morality, it's subjective like yours.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If atheists are moral, which they demonstrably are, your claim they have no basis for morality is meaningless twaddle
Like I said, you just don't get it.
I can refrain from killing you because I don't feel the need. That's not the same as having a legitimate moral reason for not killing you. Atheists may abide by all the same rules, but that doesn't mean they have a moral reason, it's just more convenient not to get arrested... that's not morality.