• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the recent Trump impeachment the most politically motivated ever?

shmogie

shmogie, I have a question.

You are strongly of the opinion that the articles of impeachment must be statutory crimes. However, how would you characterize the body of legal scholarship on this issue? Do you assert that your view is the predominant view among constitutional law experts, or do you acknowledge it is a minority view among the experts (notwithstanding, that you maintain it is the correct view)?

I am not trying to imply that if most legal experts disagree with you, that means your view is wrong. I am just curious.
Did you watch Professor Dershowitz's presentation at the senate trial last night?

Hr made a very powerful history of impeachment going back to English common law, and why the Founders demanded statutory crimes for impeachment. He also explained in great detail why some modern scholars get it wrong.

I, as can anyone, can read the Constitution. It is so clear, that it cannot be misunderstood. "Treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors".

I have no idea if my view is a minority view with legal scholars, that is irrelevant to me.

History is replete with a plethora of people who were in the minority, but were ultimately right.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You mean Dershowitz the child molester, yeah hard to take him seriously

Lyndon

Premium Member
They both have a history of child molestation with Epstein.

shmogie

You mean Dershowitz the child molester, yeah hard to take him seriously
Really? When was he convicted, and where did he serve his term?

Typical lefty boorish behavior, attack personally when you are intellectually unable to mount a counter argument.

Pitiful.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Do you have a place in your heart for accused child molesters, not me

Last edited:
How about Gym Jordan, isn't he your hero? He likes fiddling with kids too
tytlyf I often appreciate your views but I don’t think that’s what Jordan was accused of. And in fairness this is pretty off topic ... Jordan could be a terrible person and that wouldn’t impact whether Dershowitz is correct or not in his arguments.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To Trump defenders:

If Trump is so supposedly innocent, then why is it that the Pubs don't want any witnesses, depositions, or documents from those who were there and would know what Trump did or didn't do? IOW, what are you afraid of? If you were innocent, wouldn't you want these to come out to show that you're innocent?

Frankly, I tend to think that most Trump supporters actually know he's basically guilty, but they simply don't care. "Tribal" politics at its worse.

ecco

Veteran Member
And you're right, the list of infractions for which President Trump is being accused is noticeably absent from a formal standpoint.
Get a BJ from an intern: Impeach him.
Withhold Congressionally authorized money to a foreign government to extort an investigation into a political rival: Nothing to see here folks.

The Repubs are no different from the old white guys who wrote the Ten Commandments and cleverly omitted: Thou Shalt not be a Hypocrite.

ecco

Veteran Member
Allegations and testimony are not real evidence.
YOU ARE RIGHT! We should eliminate testimony from all trials.

We DEFINITELY don't want to hear the testimony of John Bolton.

51882864-the-three-wise-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg

sooda

Veteran Member
Really? When was he convicted, and where did he serve his term?

Typical lefty boorish behavior, attack personally when you are intellectually unable to mount a counter argument.

Pitiful.

That's what Trump does when he attacks women and calls them names.

Trump-as-a-Turkey.jpg

1580291720099-png.34324

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
YOU ARE RIGHT! We should eliminate testimony from all trials.

We DEFINITELY don't want to hear the testimony of John Bolton.

51882864-the-three-wise-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg
No.

It's. ..

Testimony without evidence to back up that testimony. Bad

Testimony with evidence. Good.

Just to make it clear.

ecco

Veteran Member
Dershowitz was hooked up big time with Epstein.
I'm quite certain that someone of Epstein's character and mentality made sure that stuff that happened in his house's bedrooms was videotaped. I keep hoping that somehow the tapes will be released.

But, the possibility of any release probably died with him.

ecco

Veteran Member
I don't think the Democrats truly believe they're going to actually remove Trump from office, but there may still be a method to their madness. Perhaps they'll retake control of the Senate, or maybe they believe the impeachment process will convince enough swing voters to not vote for Trump in November.

They are calling attention to the utter corruptness and deceitfulness of Trump. The primary audience, as you suggested, is the swing voter. If they can also show the corruptness of the Sheeple Republicans, the may retake the Senate.

Of course, one needs to consider that Romney may run for the nomination, in which case all bets are off.