• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the mask an adoption of Asian culture?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
But you get the point, right? That the U.V. sheilds and the white cotton gloves are a little bit of overkill for most people's perspective?

Maybe wearing a mask while jogging solo in the woods is too, or wearing a mask while driving alone with the windows up.

Yes, if you are not interacting with other people, you do not need to wear a mask. If you are close to other people, you should.

It really is quite simple.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What.

As in motorcycle helmets? Tinted helmets have been around forever.

No, I was talking about the Asian cultural style:

chinese-uv-arm-protector.jpg

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Rational Agnostic

That's a pedantic point, I feel. Covid isn't the flu. We have vaccines to fight the flu right now, we have nothing for Covid ATM besides masks and social distancing.

The flu vaccine is extremely ineffective, even the CDC admits it publicly. I've gotten the flu vaccine once in my life and that same season I got the second sickest I've ever been in my life with a fever between 102 and 104 degrees sustained for five consecutive days. In any case, why was mask wearing never encouraged in the past during flu seasons. If masks actually work, they could save tens of thousands of lives annually in the United States, and hundreds of thousands globally.

Those are our safety measures for now. After we have a vaccine, we can take more relaxed approach. No one wants to wear masks or social distance forever; this is just a temporary fix until the perminant solution comes about.

And what if a permanent solution doesn't come about?

Ultimately, if states like mine hadn't social distanced or wore masks so early on in the spreading of the virus, the death toll would be much more than it is now (look at Spain and Itally and adjust those numbers to reflect the size of our country); and our numbers are already astronomical as they are. Could be much worse.

Now, after this is all over, I think it would be good to educate folks on how wearing a mask could help them from getting others sick if they are feeling ill. That would be good for sure. But like I said, no one wants to be forced to wear a mask indeffinitely.

Of course people don't want to wear masks indefinitely. My point is that there is a double standard. While COVID is worse than the flu, many people die from the flu every year, including those who were vaccinated. So it's inconsistent to advocate for masks in this scenario and not in the other. Either one should be in favor of mandatory masks at all times, or never. Any other position is inconsistent with reality.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The psychology of the mask is divisionary by it's very nature.
Only to those who selfishly don't care about their spouses, children, parents, grandparents or people like me and are happy to see us all sick and perhaps dead because of their extreme sense of entitlement.

Rational Agnostic

The TRUTH is that the effectiveness varies by year due to the number of flu versions that travel around and the need to guess which are most prevalent. Other vaccines are supremely effective.

That's true. But it's never 100% effective, and often well under 50% effective.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Either one should be in favor of mandatory masks at all times, or never. Any other position is inconsistent with reality.

Life is not a binary choice between all or none. It's a logical fallacy to try to make it so.

And the long term effects are proving to be MUCH more of a problem for quite a few who survive COVID. So it's not just about death or life but about impaired living as well.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Only to those who selfishly don't care about their spouses, children, parents, grandparents or people like me and are happy to see us all sick and perhaps dead because of their extreme sense of entitlement.

This is more of a philosophical thread.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Question: Since the seasonal flu kills tens of thousands of Americans every year (over 80,000 in the 2017-18 season), then masks should have been mandatory in all public spaces every flu season in the history of the world, correct?

Since the flu doesn't have nearly as long of an incubation period, it is far less likely that you will spread it without knowing it. But, if you are showing symptoms of the flu, you should not be going out in public. And wearing a mask might well keep someone else from catching it. So, especially if you are interacting with people at risk, you should wear a mask if you have flu symptoms.

The difference here is that people can be asymptomatic carriers and spread it without knowing they have it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That was not the point, but thanks for the contribution.

Then I am confused what the point was. You mentioned jogging in the woods and driving a car. Wearing a mask in those conditions isn't necessary. Nobody said it is.

Are you claiming that wearing a mask is currently excessive? Given that it is one of the few methods we have to prevent spread and get this thing under some measure of control (and other countries have done so), I would certainly hope not.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Then I am confused what the point was. You mentioned jogging in the woods and driving a car. Wearing a mask in those conditions isn't necessary. Nobody said it is.

Are you claiming that wearing a mask is currently excessive? Given that it is one of the few methods we have to prevent spread and get this thing under some measure of control (and other countries have done so), I would certainly hope not.

This thread is about culture and variances in societies.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That was not the point, but thanks for the contribution.
Then what was the point?

I just got back from running the dogs out in the country. I didn't wear a mask. I regularly go do the shopping. I always wear a mask for that.

This has nothing to do with "Asian culture".
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Then what was the point?

I just got back from running the dogs out in the country. I didn't wear a mask. I regularly go do the shopping. I always wear a mask for that.

Tom

It's hard when you create an original thought, to stay on the desired track.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Then what was the point?

Tom

Another interesting thing to add, is the rejection of masks we see in predominantly white Germanic cultures, such as witnessed in parts of Arizona and Florida and Germany.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
The flu vaccine is extremely ineffective, even the CDC admits it publicly. I've gotten the flu vaccine once in my life and that same season I got the second sickest I've ever been in my life with a fever between 102 and 104 degrees sustained for five consecutive days. In any case, why was mask wearing never encouraged in the past during flu seasons. If masks actually work, they could save tens of thousands of lives annually in the United States, and hundreds of thousands globally.

And what if a permanent solution doesn't come about?

Of course people don't want to wear masks indefinitely. My point is that there is a double standard. While COVID is worse than the flu, many people die from the flu every year, including those who were vaccinated. So it's inconsistent to advocate for masks in this scenario and not in the other. Either one should be in favor of mandatory masks at all times, or never. Any other position is inconsistent with reality.

Interesting post! Will reply after work.:)