• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the mask an adoption of Asian culture?

Erebus

Now since the pandemic began in China, is it possible that we have witnessed the first reaction and then simply borrowed from Chinese culture and used those methods as the gold standard without questioning that those methods may have stemmed from a previously existing cultural phenomena of style?

I couldn't tell you who was the first in the world to adopt masks as a form of disease prevention. What I do know that they were used in Europe in the 17th century:

default.jpg

The plague doctor outfit could be viewed as an early form of hazmat suit. The skin was entirely covered and they carried a cane to limit direct contact with plague sufferers and corpses. The most striking element though is the beaked mask which was typically filled with scented herbs. This was long before germ theory and the general belief was that disease could be transmitted by miasma (essentially "bad air") hence the scented herbs.

They were almost there in terms of disease prevention. It's true that many foul smelling things, such as rotting corpses, can carry a risk of infection. It's also true that reducing direct contact with people who might be infected is a good idea. Finally, a mask can help protect yourself and others from certain airborne diseases. They missed the mark in terms of how disease could spread but many of the basic principles are still in use today.

Like I say, I couldn't tell you if plague doctors represent the first mask wearers. However, the West has a history of mask usage that predates the current trends by centuries.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
@sun rise said he's going to continue wearing the mask, even after a covid vaccination.
Then @sun rise is wise, because most countries now have laws which require masks to be worn in various locations.

In the UK there is a £100 fine for not wearing a mask in enclosed spaces with public access, or on any forms of transport, etc.

We in the West got taught some lessons by the East, I guess.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I notice you wear a mask, and seem to want others to do the same. Surely you see this involves a lot of convincing. This convincing is the psychology of the mask. IMO.

But remember, I am not advocating, I am observing and discussing ideas only.

I read because no one "sees" the virus (no one is loosing an arm from touching others and throwing up blood) that it's hard to let people know it's a real issue. Mainly medical professionals and those who know someone who had it probably a high percentage of those whose advocate for it. Some people do because their told (the masks doesn't become ineffective because people's opinions), or just plain fear.

Convincing? Social distancing maybe more so. Our governor said to stay in our homes and people still going places. I guess other reasons is mixed messages. Also, you push people so much they'll retaliate.

You got to do it to where They believe they need to not because of numbers and outside people said to.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I remember even prior to COVID, I saw a culture that existed of Asian decent, that included wearing white cotton gloves while driving (to avoid the discomfort of heat on the hands), using tinted face Sheilds while driving (to protect the complexion), and even face mask use in public (to protect from germs). Now since the pandemic began in China, is it possible that we have witnessed the first reaction and then simply borrowed from Chinese culture and used those methods as the gold standard without questioning that those methods may have stemmed from a previously existing cultural phenomena of style?
Absolutely. Doctors and nurses in all medical wards for the last several hundred years were all Chinese spies, trying to promote and spread Chinese culture by wearing these masks, these symbols of Chinese superiority, under the scientifically disproven guise of so-called "health concerns".

Please let the nursing staff at your next surgery know, you'll have none of this Chinese propaganda! Take those damn masks off before they operate on you! You're an American after all! :)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The sign on the third guy seems threatening and intimidating.

...There must be something to wearing masks. Something psychological, where a certain result comes from the notion of wearing them. It's some kind of force.
The reason for it was the 1918 Spanish Flu Hoax, which never really happened. All those deaths were fake deaths. It was all an Asian plot to take over America. It had nothing to do with actual germs, as everyone knows.

Have you ever seen a Covid-19 germ with your own eyes? I thought not. Proof it's all a hoax. Masks are not about health protection. They are about taking away your freedom to get sick whenever you want. Americans are stronger than imaginary germs. We have guns.